Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We went to Ganaraska today, for the first time (other than flying through as part of some other races).

It was abysmal. We were trying to follow the 60km route but OMG what a ridiculous mess.

The logging is what it is - I get that at least.

But so much of the single track was barely ridden, just fallen trees, branches, barely recognizable where the trail even goes...

This forest is so amazing - but the trails just don't do it justice!

Oh, and $12 (+fees/HST) for the privilege of slogging through overgrown crap...

I'm guessing we're missing something here and there are probably some good trails??? The north part of the 60km was great for a bit at least.

Badly in need of some TLC.

jono

·
Registered
381 Posts
Ya I hear you on the 60 K extension. And I hear you about the user fee too.

That being said the Peterborough Trailbuilders Association (PTA) has been giving the north part of the Central Forest some major love over the last year or so. So far since the Ganny Transit (linking the Ganny to the Millbrook Valley trails) was built the PTBA has put in Creekie, Itchy Pitchy and Chaga with more to come.

This is the first year of a partnership between the PTA and the GRCA and although the GRCA wanted the PTA to assume maintenance of all trails in the Ganny, the PTA smartly chose to stick to the north trails to see how it goes. So far I would say it is going very well.

They have had a Sunday morning build most weeks this summer and have just started to blow the leaves in their quadrant. It is also in the fall plans to blow the Pauls 30k Loop a little later after more leaves are down.

Even though officially the PTA does have a defined area that they are looking after, any trails that have been cleared have been done by PTA volunteers. The GRCA does absolutely nothing to maintain the single track trails.

Even though at this time the 60k extension is crap, the 30k loop is very rideable and if combined with the Ganny Transit and the Millbrook Valley trails, especially Trench Town and Backstage Pass, you can easily put in 50 to 60 K and have a blast.

As an added bonus in these covid times, you probably won't see very many other users. On Thursday we did a 35K ride and saw exactly 3 hikers, 4 dogs and 1 other biker and the biker was there doing trail maintenance.

So don't give up on the Ganny just yet, if you stuck to the Pauls loop you missed out on some really fun trails and the future plans of the PTA promise more to come.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya I hear you on the 60 K extension. And I hear you about the user fee too.

That being said the Peterborough Trailbuilders Association (PTA) has been giving the north part of the Central Forest some major love over the last year or so. So far since the Ganny Transit (linking the Ganny to the Millbrook Valley trails) was built the PTBA has put in Creekie, Itchy Pitchy and Chaga with more to come.

This is the first year of a partnership between the PTA and the GRCA and although the GRCA wanted the PTA to assume maintenance of all trails in the Ganny, the PTA smartly chose to stick to the north trails to see how it goes. So far I would say it is going very well.

They have had a Sunday morning build most weeks this summer and have just started to blow the leaves in their quadrant. It is also in the fall plans to blow the Pauls 30k Loop a little later after more leaves are down.

Even though officially the PTA does have a defined area that they are looking after, any trails that have been cleared have been done by PTA volunteers. The GRCA does absolutely nothing to maintain the single track trails.

Even though at this time the 60k extension is crap, the 30k loop is very rideable and if combined with the Ganny Transit and the Millbrook Valley trails, especially Trench Town and Backstage Pass, you can easily put in 50 to 60 K and have a blast.

As an added bonus in these covid times, you probably won't see very many other users. On Thursday we did a 35K ride and saw exactly 3 hikers, 4 dogs and 1 other biker and the biker was there doing trail maintenance.

So don't give up on the Ganny just yet, if you stuck to the Pauls loop you missed out on some really fun trails and the future plans of the PTA promise more to come.
We really enjoyed the north stuff! Definitely the best trails of the bunch. Glad to hear there's work being done, sounds like something I can get behind... close enough to volunteer even. :thumbsup:

The forest is awesome - so much diversity of terrain, valleys, and in fall (today) it was really gorgeous.

Have a Strava link maybe for what you did?? Wouldn't mind giving it another go.

jono

·
Registered
593 Posts
We went to Ganaraska today.

Badly in need of some TLC.
The PTA are maintaining and creating new trails in the northwest. What did get cleared by others is; Blue Angle, sticks and Stones, Tree Stuck by Lightning, The exit to the parking lot, Solstice, Ditchpan Alley, Newton's Theory, C split Run. Everything in the west, between logging and not being ridden is going back to nature. Without a large event live Paul's a lot of the trails are not seeing any action.

We cleaned Foundation Trail last fall asked to have two logs cut out by the GF didn't happen. The last 1/4 of the trail got logged after our efforts. Despite the trail being marked with trail ribbon the trail disappeared. The loggers don't seem to have any supervision. We have ridden it this summer, but again there is not enough traffic.

Shame to see all these trails disappear.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The PTA are maintaining and creating new trails in the northwest. What did get cleared by others is; Blue Angle, sticks and Stones, Tree Stuck by Lightning, The exit to the parking lot, Solstice, Ditchpan Alley, Newton's Theory, C split Run. Everything in the west, between logging and not being ridden is going back to nature. Without a large event live Paul's a lot of the trails are not seeing any action.

We cleaned Foundation Trail last fall asked to have two logs cut out by the GF didn't happen. The last 1/4 of the trail got logged after our efforts. Despite the trail being marked with trail ribbon the trail disappeared. The loggers don't seem to have any supervision. We have ridden it this summer, but again there is not enough traffic.

Yeah that was a lot of our experience ... trying to follow Paul's 60, running into trail vanishing into logging roads and damage. Also a lot down on the far east end, unrideable.

Beautiful forest and they looked like at one point they were nice trails!

jono

·
Registered
381 Posts

I rode the Foundation Trail today and it is certainly worth rehabilitating. Most of it is still there and the sections that have been logged could be either cleared or rerouted. It will take some work but is certainly doable.

I am interested in helping out anytime.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am interested in helping out anytime.
Me too (well maybe not anytime but based on availability).

Also might want to tap into the DMBA folks - they draw a lot of volunteers for their builds, a call out on Facebook and you can have a small army... :)

jono

1 - 7 of 7 Posts