Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They look nice

They look light

They also look like they might be kinda fragile?

It's not often I hit stuff HARD - most of the time I end up graunching a bash ring its on slow speed tech rock stuff or falling off skinnies, but I don't want something that's just decorative either - the rare occasions I do clout something hard,It'll be properly hard.

Any experience?

·
Committed
1,775 Posts
I have been running Gamut guides for several years now, and have yet to break a bashgaurd. They are much tougher than they look. I have seen a few fail, msot often from over tightening the chainring bolts.
The new plastic they are using (on the 36t pictured) is a little bit softer so it deforms a bit instead of shattering.
Gamut guides are very light and effective, an excellent choice for anyone wanting a chainguide system.
The bashes are available separately, and are one of, if not the lightest plastic bashes on the market.
Additionally, the owners of Gamut are local racer/riders who happen to be super nice guys.
Highly recommended.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
shanedawg said:
They are about 115gm for that p30 model.
My p20 (32-34 tooth model) was 86 grams, and has held up beautifully for the five months I've had it on the RFX. The chainguide worked flawlessly too, but I'm putting a double ring setup back on now for the winter months.

·
Registered
763 Posts
This will be my next bash ring, nice piece of gear for strength vs. weight IMO. I haven't wailed on one yet but a riding buddy beats teh crap outta a 38T model on his big hit w/ rohloff with no complaints in NE rocky garbage.

·
Monkey Wrench
353 Posts
Any local shop can get these for you. Many of them will likely stock it...
I have sold quite a few and none have come back with problems. They look very nice on every crank we've installed them on and we've never had to modify one to fit.

·
a tight kick sound
1,812 Posts
I have to 2nd, 3rd or 4th what SR said. I have had a few different gamut guides on my bikes for a few years and smash hell out them occasionally. Not yet broken one, though dented um pretty good. Easiest set-up ever and again those dudes at gamut are super great to work with!!

·
Registered
9,571 Posts
I got mine from Larry at mtnhighcyclery. He had a few lying around that day so I decided to go 2x9 and try them. They are really tough and I have crunched them several times with no ill effect. I also have a metal Straitline one which is very solid but I think the softer and thicker Gamut one feels better when I crunch into a rock or waterbar. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.