Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Part 1

So, in preparation for the homer gathering I decided I need to improve my downhill skills. I spend most of my time slogging up hills, and while my technical climbing has improved greatly, I never really have had the opportunity to work on getting smoother and more confident on big downhill sections. S-Works and I went up to Winter Park on Sunday and while we did a bunch of the back side XC stuff, we focused on getting more confident on drops and speedy decents. I was told that there are a lot of 2+foot drops at Porc, so I would like to be able to hit those like a pro by September. By the end of the day I was feeling pretty good about things, and did some drops and features I never thought I would have had the guts for before, smiles all the way.

I do know that I hit my frame with my 2.4 advantages when I did the drops to flat, (03 spot) didn't feel too good. I used to hit it a bunch then I got a heavier spring, didn't do it so much, now I'm maxing out that spring. I'm thinking of trying the Advantage Extreme, which is smaller but a grippier compound on the rear. My thought is that maybe I won't hit as much but the grippier compound will make up for the smaller size ? thoughts?

We stopped and peered over the edge of some of that CrankWorks stuff, truely insane. We were sitting there looking at it when a 10 year old on a tiny bike comes along, says "Wow, a freeride park!" and promptly rides up this 6 foot ladder. No fear. I held my breath the whole time waiting for him to dump off the side. Never did!

For those of you that have done the ride before, what do you recommend for training? What to be ready for? I'd rather ride then watch if I could.

Part 2

I took my new (to me) Pickup up for the first time for this ride. Has anyone had any success building a bed mounted rack? I worry about making something that can lock and keep the bikes safe. Because I spend less on the truck then my bike, and because I am poor now, I am looking at cost effective strategies. What have you all used?

Attachments

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
CrashTheDOG said:
I've got a Dakine Pick-Up-Pad on order. Super easy way to transport bike to and from the trail head. Use this along with a couple of tie-down straps to keep everything from bouncing around.

UtahMountainBiking.com also has instructions on how to build a PVC truck bed bike rack.
I'm digging the PVC rack, you could use that in your garage when it wasn't in your truck! Thanks for the tip off. How much was the bike pad?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
You could also go the ultra cheap route of getting an old piece of carpet for the tailgate (like most ppl do up here for shuttles) and using that! You can cut it to size or shape that you want and then sling it over the gate and you are set to go! We have had 7 bikes hanging out of the back of an F-150 this way (front wheel hangs over the back, rest of the bike in the bed).
You could also buy a big mat that would do the same trick...

Cheers

Buzz

·
Team Blindspot
2,989 Posts
mtbjc280 said:
Part 1

So, in preparation for the homer gathering I decided I need to improve my downhill skills. I spend most of my time slogging up hills, and while my technical climbing has improved greatly, I never really have had the opportunity to work on getting smoother and more confident on big downhill sections. S-Works and I went up to Winter Park on Sunday and while we did a bunch of the back side XC stuff, we focused on getting more confident on drops and speedy decents. I was told that there are a lot of 2+foot drops at Porc, so I would like to be able to hit those like a pro by September. By the end of the day I was feeling pretty good about things, and did some drops and features I never thought I would have had the guts for before, smiles all the way.

I do know that I hit my frame with my 2.4 advantages when I did the drops to flat, (03 spot) didn't feel too good. I used to hit it a bunch then I got a heavier spring, didn't do it so much, now I'm maxing out that spring. I'm thinking of trying the Advantage Extreme, which is smaller but a grippier compound on the rear. My thought is that maybe I won't hit as much but the grippier compound will make up for the smaller size ? thoughts?

We stopped and peered over the edge of some of that CrankWorks stuff, truely insane. We were sitting there looking at it when a 10 year old on a tiny bike comes along, says "Wow, a freeride park!" and promptly rides up this 6 foot ladder. No fear. I held my breath the whole time waiting for him to dump off the side. Never did!

For those of you that have done the ride before, what do you recommend for training? What to be ready for? I'd rather ride then watch if I could.

Part 2

I took my new (to me) Pickup up for the first time for this ride. Has anyone had any success building a bed mounted rack? I worry about making something that can lock and keep the bikes safe. Because I spend less on the truck then my bike, and because I am poor now, I am looking at cost effective strategies. What have you all used?
How come my pic of you is REALLY clear, but your pic of me us REALLY fuzzy:confused:

Had a great time yesterday!! Looking forward to THC.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Buzz said:
You could also go the ultra cheap route of getting an old piece of carpet for the tailgate (like most ppl do up here for shuttles) and using that! You can cut it to size or shape that you want and then sling it over the gate and you are set to go! We have had 7 bikes hanging out of the back of an F-150 this way (front wheel hangs over the back, rest of the bike in the bed).
You could also buy a big mat that would do the same trick...

Cheers

Buzz
That sounds more my style, but what do you do for security? Keep your dog chained in the back?

This setup looks cool but a bit pricey:

Attachments

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
S-Works said:
How come my pic of you is REALLY clear, but your pic of me us REALLY fuzzy:confused:

Had a great time yesterday!! Looking forward to THC.
You were going REALLY fast! and...I suck at taking pictures.

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
good work j. yer on the game from what i see. sw can tell ya all about a spot on the enchalada. it gets there, just a bit slower is all but youll be just fine. plus most of the stuff on lower porc happens so fast it just kinda flows if ya keep yer eyes up front. hell, i did it on a 3.6" burner w/ vee's back in '03 and i couldnt spell drop back then.

thats when i used a hollywood truck bed rack and a big ass woven cable with a appropriate lock. a eye bolt in the bed is a good addition. i had this system for years with little invested and nuthin but smiles. the trick is havin a dog that wont lick the potential thief then go for a ride with him as he leaves with yer bike.

Attachments

·
1,802 Posts
The best system I have ever used/seen in the bed of a truck is MarkZ06's. That are Sportwork Rack mounts, like the ones that are on the hitch rack, that mount in the bed and are secure when you close the tailgate.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
cactuscorn said:
good work j. yer on the game from what i see. sw can tell ya all about a spot on the enchalada. it gets there, just a bit slower is all but youll be just fine. plus most of the stuff on lower porc happens so fast it just kinda flows if ya keep yer eyes up front. hell, i did it on a 3.6" burner w/ vee's back in '03 and i couldnt spell drop back then.

thats when i used a hollywood truck bed rack and a big ass woven cable with a appropriate lock. a eye bolt in the bed is a good addition. i had this system for years with little invested and nuthin but smiles. the trick is havin a dog that wont lick the potential thief then go for a ride with him as he leaves with yer bike.
Thanks for the advice CC, I'm really looking forward to meeting you all and riding some great stuff. I imagine I will be gunning for on 07 RFX after Porc, watch your bike! I love my spot but I am pretty sure I need to be on a large (180lbs, 6'). Hopefully I can demo one and see if it is worth the trade in.

Is that odis in the back of the truck? How is he doing? Are you still carting him around? My wife is anti dog, but I keep working on her to get one. I think the kid needs to get a little older first.....

That bar you have in the back looks kind of like what I was thinking of making. Is there a specific brand or did you make it?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
That might be OK if you have QR forks, but most will want to have the option on 20mm would be my guess.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Buzz said:
That might be OK if you have QR forks, but most will want to have the option on 20mm would be my guess.
True. Are there adaptors?

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
mtbjc280 said:
Thanks for the advice CC, I'm really looking forward to meeting you all and riding some great stuff. I imagine I will be gunning for on 07 RFX after Porc, watch your bike! I love my spot but I am pretty sure I need to be on a large (180lbs, 6'). Hopefully I can demo one and see if it is worth the trade in.

Is that odis in the back of the truck? How is he doing? Are you still carting him around? My wife is anti dog, but I keep working on her to get one. I think the kid needs to get a little older first.....

That bar you have in the back looks kind of like what I was thinking of making. Is there a specific brand or did you make it?
will be cool to do a run and tip a beer with ya j. its a damn fine group of folks. the demo thing shouldnt be tough if ya get to the trailer early and ya may as well bring along a price tag for the spot.

yep, thats the man himself. odus is good but not long for the trail. its a slow but noticeable decline. thanx for askin.

that bar is the hollywood deal i was talkin about. wouldnt be hard to make one and you could just weld a 20mm id tube to a bar to make it work for big forks. the hollywood is cool cuz it telescopes to fit anything, leaves plenty of room under for even full size camp boxes, gives ya a nice front/spare wheel stash and requires no drilling.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
cactuscorn said:
and ya may as well bring along a price tag for the spot.
You thinking I'll go home with a new frame? My wife would make me sleep in the truck if I did that. Maybe I should start a thread about converting the truck to a doghouse?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts