Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Expert Pushing SSer
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
On Tuesday evening the plan was to leave the PDX area and meet Gale near the creek she owns. I met up with carlo and smudge to sort out the carpool arrangements in Hillsboro. I was excited, not unlike the pubescent excitement one exhibits in high school, when you're with your buds and there is one gal in the crowd you all seem to have an affinity for. Who will she pick? But what about the current gal?

Enter Ms. Brown. She owns a camp, actually across the road from Gale. Will Ms. Brown see us? Will she feel our presence? We have been spending an awful lot of time together in the years past. She showed me around the camp shortly after I moved to Oregon, and she always showed me a very good time. There was an allure about her. It always seemed worth it for me to drive from my home, in Salem (almost 2 hours away) to visit her. She just exuded complexity and there was abundant richness in her surroundings. Her complexity and the union with her backdrop just made every moment so enjoyable. We would typically spend two hours together each visit. We have history that I hold deep in my heart. So much was going through my head at this time; I was feeling sick. There were butterflies in my stomach that I am sure had a 3-foot wingspan. I chalk that up to anxiety.

Anyways, we arrive at Gale's driveway promptly at 5:40. While waiting there, we noticed a couple other fellows in the driveway. We exchanged names and handshakes. They were also here to meet Gale. Small world? Nope, just a popular gal.

Enter Gale. She greeted us with open arms. But, what is it that she is wearing? She is wearing a lot of green; I mean tons, not unlike Ms. B, though. After all, they both live in a temperate rainforest. It is their way of blending in with their rich natural environment. Gale's skin seems to be more fair and smoother than Ms. B's, but that is OK, now and again change is good. Even her driveway is smoother than Ms. B's, again just a marked difference. Once we exchanged pleasantries, suited up, and assembled the bikes we were ready to have Gale show us around near her creek. In the beginning, I noted that there were six of us being led by Gale. From the moment my wheels were turning, and my tread was impressing upon her skin I knew it was meant to be. For the next 3 hours, give or take, Gale led us around her land. Shortly into the tour, we had one member of the loosely formed group go off to visit another resident of this land. His name is Storey. We sent our good vibes up the trail with the individual that was going to visit Storey. Five of us continued on with Gale.

She was still leading us with carlo behind her, myself, smudge, Aaron, and Joe. It was exhilarating. It was as if she was taunting us to go faster. We knew we had a finite amount of time with her; we wanted to make it special. At the same time, I personally did not want it to end. Pretty much the whole ride was with Gale leading us adjacent to her creek. It flowed with grace, yet was not rushing nor was the sound obtrusive. Aaron and Joe had to tend to other business on the home front. They had to end their session with Gale prematurely. Don’t worry guys; there will be plenty left for your return.

Towards the end of the out and back with Gale, there were moments where we were all pushing our bikes. Let me rephrase that, we were off our bikes pushing them up the hill. There was also a moment in time when Gale had caused so much joy and pain (at least my legs thought it was pain), at the same time, that we almost embraced in a group hug yet there was also exchange of words from all of us towards Gale that were less than appropriate. Again, we are sorry for that Gale. It was love, hate, mixed with hysterics. There were moments that unexplainable laughter emanated from us into the forest where our arms and fists jutted up into the sky as if they were going to touch the heavens. As we were reaching the end of the climb with Gale, we could start to see blue horizon coming through the trees. It was spectacular, partly because we knew the six-mile climb was coming to a close.

Gale’s animals were out in full force that evening too. We heard the sound of elk running through the forest as we were up at the summit. Carlo could actually see them, yet I was seemingly blind with love. At first, I thought it was smudge mashing in his big ring, the sound that comes from a bike and its rider while being chased by a Sasquatch……that sound. We regrouped, hydrated, ate a little bar, and two of us wished we had arm warmers while the other was slinking them up their arms. Personally, Gale gave me internal warmth to go downhill with the lucid mindset that was required to maintain control on the rolling flowing fast narrow single track we just ascended. She lit my fire.

We dropped. Let me rephrase that, we dropped like stones. Apparently my smile was beginning to tire Gale. Most trails like it when I smile. Sometimes, though, they like to put things in the way when I am having too much fun. Gale was no different, and decided I was having much too much fun. She was ahead of me and hid a stump/stone/hard object under a fern, about foot high such that my size nine right foot would get smacked on the top. Gale was being naughty. She was starting to pull out the leather and handcuffs card on me. :eek: I quickly regained my smile, after a brief audible yelp. Carlo and smudge were also having fun with Gale. We were all playing nip and tuck through the forest with Gale.

As we approached the beginning of her creek trail, the junction where we lost our first rider who went on to see Storey, I was already missing Gale. I knew that our interlude was coming to a close. We were only eight-tenths of a mile from the cars. It was setting in I would not see Gale for some time. Once we regrouped at the cars, “cleaned up”, and loaded the car up we headed out the driveway from Gale’s land. I turned back to see her smile one last time. I waved to her as the car pulled down the access towards the main highway.

To this day, her flowing trail, and lush green cloak are as vivid as the moment I first laid eyes on her. Her warmth remains in my heart, fresh as a field of daisies.

What about Ms. Brown you ask? Don’t worry; I will visit here again very soon. Her qualities will be a welcome transition. Plus, she will always reside in my heart. As for Gale, I am smitten.
:thumbsup:

·
45 gone, 15 to go
1,237 Posts
If I read correctly you did an out and back. I have ridden part of Gales. It seemed like it kind just went up and down for a couple of miles. We weren't sure that it was going to change so we turned around and did something different, partly because it was one of my first rides on a single speed and we had already ridden up to storey road and back down to gales and I was beat.

·
Expert Pushing SSer
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
kayakerjim said:
I have not riden Gales Creek yet. You have just moved it up on the priority list. :thumbsup: Thanks for the TR.
Thanks, but don't take my word for it.

Law said:
If I read correctly you did an out and back. I have ridden part of Gales. It seemed like it kind just went up and down for a couple of miles. We weren't sure that it was going to change so we turned around and did something different, partly because it was one of my first rides on a single speed and we had already ridden up to storey road and back down to gales and I was beat.
Yes. It was out and back. I will probably do a loop next time. The last 2 miles or so (of the out leg) get steep. I could see the first part being "fun" on a SS. Not sure the climb out of Gale's up to Storey Burn....how steep it is. That might be fun to go up on a SS then come down Gale's (the back part we did).

Anywho, enjoy!

·
Registered
216 Posts
On the way out, there's a fair bit of climbing. It feels like it's rolling, but it's really just differing degrees of uphill pitch. You realize just how much you've climbed once you come back down and you make it back to your car in less than half the time it took to go up.

Gale's smooth and sensuous curves are a marked juxtaposition to Ms. Brown's occasional rough-edged lumpiness. Remember to bring your climbing legs and plenty of water.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Nice write-up, and tastefully reserved on the "Gale" references. If it had been one of us DOD folks writing it, it would have been chock full of explicit sexual references, or at least innuendo. I can think of a couple right now! (In fact, I love the word "innuendo" -- it's full of possibilities) But I will refrain, to maintain the decorum. You have set the bar high, and for that I applaud you. (clap, clap, clap!!!!)

I'll have to make it up there one day. Occasionally I have a seminar up in PDX land. Gotta make it worth my while, though. Is a big ride on both sides of the road in one outing doable?

p.s. -- Meaty -- I have a very intriguing ride planned for August. Contact me off the board at [email protected] if you're interested. Don't want to announce it to the whole board. But I likes you. You funny.

·
45 gone, 15 to go
1,237 Posts
Ok so I am thinking about doing the entire gales creek trail, but if I wanted to turn it in to a loop what would be the best way other than to cut it short by heading up storey burn trail?

Is there anything to do once we get to Reehers camp other than turn around?

EDIT: Actually, after looking at the map I think we will just try an out and back to Reehers and see how it goes. Meat, did you guys make it to reehers?

·
45 gone, 15 to go
1,237 Posts
We did gales creek today. When I got to bells road I felt pretty good about making it up with only pushing one section. We had to take a few breathers certainly, but it was great. Coming back down was sweet. I also hit my foot pretty hard coming back down. But overall a ride worth doing again. One guy bonked, or as we say, he "saw Elvis." I would like to go down to reehers camp though to get one more downhill out of it.

My brother crashed not once, not twice, but three times coming back down. He was fine, but we were all rolling with laughter.

Good times, good times.

We will be doing that again soon. It is definitely more of a work out than a brown's camp loop.

·
coffee
37 Posts
climbing back up from that first descent towad Reehers wasn't very fun the one time I did it. But I'm glad you got to enjoy Gales Creek. Hope your bro. survived. I love that descent. After you get to know each turn you can really crank the speed up since it's so smoothe. I hit 31mph there recently. Gotta watch out for those hidden rocks/stumps that catch the feet!:thumbsup:

·
Expert Pushing SSer
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Law said:
EDIT: Actually, after looking at the map I think we will just try an out and back to Reehers and see how it goes. Meat, did you guys make it to reehers?
Reehers was about 3 miles from our grasp,as I recall from the trail sign.

Law said:
"saw Elvis"?
Ha ha ha! That is what I say too. It is doubly bad when you see him AND a white light. :thumbsup:

Albee said:
Nice write-up, and tastefully reserved on the "Gale" references. If it had been one of us DOD folks writing it, it would have been chock full of explicit sexual references, or at least innuendo. I can think of a couple right now! (In fact, I love the word "innuendo" -- it's full of possibilities) But I will refrain, to maintain the decorum. You have set the bar high, and for that I applaud you. (clap, clap, clap!!!!)
p.s. -- Meaty -- I have a very intriguing ride planned for August. Contact me off the board at [email protected] if you're interested. Don't want to announce it to the whole board. But I likes you. You funny.
Trust me my friend, I was on the fringe. I wanted to be a bit more, ummmm, expressive but refrained. Should have had you or Sparticus do a peer review :) Email coming your way.

·
Registered
29 Posts
nice ride, but question???

rode the fire/logging roads from sb TH up to TH on bell camp road. bombed back down gales creek to sb trail and back up to my car. great ride!

i have a question though. as i got to the upper TH a big pickup past me with about 7 guys with big DH bikes heading somewhere??? anyone know of any freeriding areas out there?? i waited for a bit to see if they where coming back down the gales creek trail, but i never saw them.

kevin

·
Expert Pushing SSer
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
nickelk said:
i have a question though. as i got to the upper TH a big pickup past me with about 7 guys with big DH bikes heading somewhere??? anyone know of any freeriding areas out there?? i waited for a bit to see if they where coming back down the gales creek trail, but i never saw them.

kevin
Kevin,

When I was riding with carlo, he mentioned something about FR stuff in the area, or asked if I knew of any. I sure don't, someone might know more than I.

·
45 gone, 15 to go
1,237 Posts
themaninthewoods said:
climbing back up from that first descent towad Reehers wasn't very fun the one time I did it. But I'm glad you got to enjoy Gales Creek. Hope your bro. survived. I love that descent. After you get to know each turn you can really crank the speed up since it's so smoothe. I hit 31mph there recently. Gotta watch out for those hidden rocks/stumps that catch the feet!:thumbsup:
when are you heading up there next? I am not sure how fast i get going but i am sure it is not 31 mph. Plus right now the Dean is full rigid. I hit 27mph going down a section at the Brown's camp loop, but that was part is wider than just about everything on Gales. I am not sure I could stay on the trail going that fast in either place.

·
Registered
216 Posts
It's not completed yet, but for all of you who like work parties, the freeride area up there is still a work in progress that could probably use all the volunteers it can get. Trail Head cycles in Hillsboro is spearheading the project, and there's info on their forums. It's called Mt. Bike Area #1.

·
Expert Pushing SSer
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
carlo said:
It's not completed yet, but for all of you who like work parties, the freeride area up there is still a work in progress that could probably use all the volunteers it can get. Trail Head cycles in Hillsboro is spearheading the project, and there's info on their forums. It's called Mt. Bike Area #1.
Nice. Oh, and thanks for derailing the original poster's thread.

Just messing. :smilewinkgrin:

Extremely bored today.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.