Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I'm going to visit the in-laws in Gainesville, FL, again this Xmas. I'm going to bring my 'cross bike so I can do both road and light trail riding. The bike can handle The Rock and some of what is out at San Felasco, both of which I have ridden before. Am I leaving out any other (not terribly technical) trails?

Also, any suggestions about roads in NW Gainesville area that are good for biking? I have no fear of traffic, although I do want to avoid routes that locals might consider dangerous.

Thanks in advance!
Matt B.

·
Registered
206 Posts
The Rock and San Felasco going to be your best bets for light MTB. There are some smaller trails scattered around town that you could link together, but it would be hard to find them without a guide.

As far a road rides...I'm not a roadie, but I think there is a popular route that goes down Millhopper Rd. Call 'The Bike Route' LBS and they could probably give you more information.

·
yeah, uh............bikes
2,712 Posts
Head south to Santos, miles and miles of mild trail that would be fine on a cross bike (i think?), and if you get bored there's some seriously technical stuff. :thumbsup:

·
Feel Good About Hood
217 Posts
FloridaFish said:
Head south to Santos, miles and miles of mild trail that would be fine on a cross bike (i think?), and if you get bored there's some seriously technical stuff. :thumbsup:
+1

I just got a 'cross bike that I have been putting on lots of road miles with. Planing on putting the CX tires back on and doing the Santos Epic sometime in the next month or so. Done it several times on a rigid SS, should be alot of fun on the crosser. 45 miles of flowy trails with just a sprinkling of tech in the middle (Nayls). :arf: :D

·
Its got what plants crave
5,933 Posts
There are tons of little trails in and around Gainesville through various parks, greenways, etc. Wish I could explain it all to you, but it's really one of those scenarios where it would be easier to show rather than tell!

I second the Millhopper Road (53rd Ave) route. Good hills, nice scenery. If you wanted, you could ride out to Alachua for lunch. You could ride west down Millhopper Road, until you can't go west anymore. Then hang a right on highway 241, which will take you down to Alachua. Be careful on that road though, because there is no bike lane. Have lunch on Main Street in downtown Alachua.. I suggest P'Diddles. Then head back into town either on 441 (there is a bike lane on this hwy) or go back the way you came. I'd say that will easily net you 25 miles or more. If you wanted to add more mileage, you could stop by San Felasco on your way back on 441 to hit some bunny trails.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to all for the great suggestions! Looks like there are plenty of options for me in the NW part of town - should be able to ride to The Rock and San Felasco from the in-laws house, do some trails and head back. I'm bringing lights too if anyone is aware of any night rides.

Thanks again and Happy Holidays,
Matt B.

·
UF Engineering Slave
370 Posts
I'm not sure if they will be doing it this week (for obvious reasons), but try to hit up the Mr. Goodbike Wednesday night group ride. They leave around 6 from the Mr.goodbike shop on 13th st. You can call them for info ((352) 336-5100). Its a moderately paced social ride that hits a variety of the in town trails.

·
Its got what plants crave
5,933 Posts
The Wednesday ride is pretty fun. This time of year you'll need some lights to ride it, and I'm not sure I'd want to ride most of it on a cross bike. Worth a shot tho :p

1 - 9 of 9 Posts