Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
song of the saw-whet owl
428 Posts
hostile said:
I'm moving to Gainesville at the end of the year and was wondering if there are any locals who are familiar with local trails?
hell yes! Conway Robinson State Forest is right on the edge of gainesville. Nice little single-track system maintained and worked on by the local imba chapter MORE. About 10 miles away from gainesville is whitney state forest which similar in a way, but both very under-utilized, so if you like solitude they are great. For more of a challenge, Fountainhead is probably about 20minutes from gainseville and is a larger system and has alot more little uphills to keep your cardio goin. But theres a ton more riding options within an hours drive of gainesville you won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh cool, thanks for the quick reply. I'll have to check Conway out!

I live in Fairfax so I'm familiar with Fountainhead and Wakefield/Accotink, they were my usual stomping grounds before I got out of riding about 6 years ago. I found the MORE site through another thread and didn't even know they were still around!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I am in Manassas and ride Conway at least once a week...Its nice cause its close and convenient and impossible to get lost in. As for the solitude statement I usually ride it on sundays after work and wensdays i have never seen another biker...Once in a blue moon there will be a walker or jogger and there is never more than 2 other cars in the parking lot.

Theres a tree down on the blue and ornage trail that i dont think will get cleared any time soon becasue it is one of the less popular places to ride.

If you ever see a newb on a rockhopper say whats up!

·
Registered
874 Posts
I live in Haymarket and ride Conway quite a bit, and see plenty of tracks, but hardly ever another rider. I is a nice little trail with some fun sections. I rode Whitney for the first time yesterday after reading this thread and it is a good spot. One of the big problems with Conway is that it takes forever to dry out, so shouldn't be ridden much of the time. Whitney seemed dry as a bone even though we had stomrs the day before. For such a small amount of land, there are some nice tight trails that are fun to ride.

Anybody know how to access rideable trails on Bull Run Mountain? I heard they exist in which no one bothers you despite not being explicitly "legal".

·
Bikecurious
301 Posts
Head down 66w about 30-45 minutes and you should be able to pick up the Massanutten range near Front Royal, I think. I know there are some people on here that can give you some better details on that, but you're in much closer proximity to the good stuff than in Fairfax, if you can fight through the traffic on 66.

·
song of the saw-whet owl
428 Posts
Haymarket said:
Whitney seemed dry as a bone even though we had stomrs the day before. For such a small amount of land, there are some nice tight trails that are fun to ride.
yeah i noticed that about whitney also because i went the day after a decent rain once and was worried about it, but it was surprisingly dry.

Anybody know how to access rideable trails on Bull Run Mountain? I heard they exist in which no one bothers you despite not being explicitly "legal".
If you find em let me know: :) I know there is a hiking trail system on the "Bull Run Mountain Conservancy" property, that ive been too a hundred times that would be excellent for mtn biking but I have _never_ seen a tire track. Altho it only occupies part of Bull Run mountain. the rest is private property i think?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.