Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As mentioned in another post here we are building some trails here in Gainesville and need some help. There has been a lot of interest in helping but turnout hasn't been what we expected--usually 3-5 people. It's going a bit slower than expected. A work crew of 10 or so would make it happen a lot quicker.

We've got about 1.5 miles of singletrack done so far, not including the half mile or so of double-track leading to it (which will be included in the final course). The land in the back (where most of the wooded singletrack will be) is fairly flat. The last section we add will have some decent gradual climbs. It won't be like the powerlines were in terms of elevation change and total number of trails, but at least we'll have permission to ride there. I put in as many miles on the powerlines (not to mention trail maintenance) as anyone and still grieve over them closing!

The land is 160 acres. We will initially use 120 of it. The extra 40 is pretty open and we may add a loop around the perimeter in the future. I initially thought we could get 7-10 miles, but after a month of work, a more realistic estimate would be 5-6. I think the initial loop will be 4-5 miles. Then well add some miles to it in monthly "maintenance" work days. I plan to have some practice races out there this summer once the trails are finished and broken in.

I've been riding the trail and the initial sections are nice, and it get's softer and lumpy as the trail goes on due to being more freshly cut. But we really need people to get out there and ride it during the week. It's not worth driving out there, but if you can ride out there and do a few out-and-backs, you should get a good ride in. Today (4/6/05) it took me 20 minutes to do one out-and-back at a medium pace.

The trail won't be San Felasco, but it will be great to have a place to ride to her in town. If you are interested in helping, send me an email at [email protected] and I'll put you on the work email list. I can also email you directions of how to get there (even if you can't come out and help). We are working every Sunday afternoon from 3-6pm.

·
yeah, uh............bikes
2,712 Posts
I have to apologize for not being out there the last few weeks, I've been getting lazy on the weekends. I helped out on the second Sunday of trail work when there were about six of us out there clearing trail, and it seemed like we were really making some progress. Did you guys work on easter sunday, I wasn't sure if anyone would be out there?

I'm heading home for the weekend, but I'll try to make it back up here early enough to clear some trail.

-Adam

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool. We did not work on Easter, but we did some work the day before. One of our guys ended up getting his truck stuck in the mud (remember how much rain we got that weekend) so it took a while to get him out. We did some work, but not much. We made good progress last Sunday, though. Hope to see you Sunday.

·
Registered
743 Posts
do you guys only work on sundays? I was planning to go up to gainesville to visit friends after I ride santos friday, but I was probably going to leave sometime saturday. let me know

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mainly work Sunday afternoons

Our "official" work day is on Sunday, but sometimes I get out a little during the week. Anyone else is welcome to do so as well. Just ask me and I can tell you what needs to be done. Yesterday I went out at lunch (just before the rain hit) and took out some small trees to round out some corners.

Anyone is welcome to ride the trail at any time during the week. Everything around here is soaked from yesterday's deluge, so it will be a few days before the trail is dry.

For any viewers out there who want to help, we'll be working this Sunday from 3-6pm.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
April 10 Work day

Well, yesterday was one of the toughest work days we’ve had. We had to cut through some very thick stuff, but we did it and the trail is coming along. We came to a 2nd sinkhole and some other gradual elevation changes, so I was stoked about that. Next time I’m using a chain saw so we can move faster.

Again turnout wasn’t spectacular. I guess I have to offer cash or free beer or something to get a large work crew out there. Thanks to those who came out and worked very hard yesterday. BTW, I’ve learned that trail building is actually great cross-training. Ride for 2 hours before the work day and then come out and work for 3 hours. You’ll get in a great endurance day!

We should have the back loop done after next Sunday. I completed the loop with orange markers yesterday so we can just get out there and finish it next time. Then I think 2 more work days after that should complete the entire loop. The front loop should go a lot quicker. I would ask that if you plan on riding the trail, please try to put in at least one work day in the next 3 weeks, if you haven’t already. I know some of you cannot make it out there on weekends. For those that have expressed interest in getting out there during the week, please let me know and I’ll let you know what you can do. I’m not sure if I can meet you there, but you can work on your own schedule. As mentioned before, after the main loop is done, we’ll have one work day a month to add more trail.

You can contact me at [email protected]

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update

We now have a complete loop that is quite nice. There will be quite a bit more trail added, but right now I estimate the loop to be a little over 3 miles--a very good start considering turnout hasn't been too stellar. I put up directional arrows yesterday (in the pouring rain!). We need people now to get out and ride what we have in order to smooth it out. Like I mentioned in a recent email, if you have a choice between full suspension and hardtail, I'd use a FS until the trail is smoothed out more.

Email me ([email protected]) for directions. Again, I'd like as many people who can get out and ride to do so, whether or not you've worked on the trail. Everyone is welcome!

·
Topeak-Ergon Racing
708 Posts
Farmer, if you have not done so already send a press release to FL mtb clubs such as SWAMP, OMBA, Ridge Riders, Mud Cutters, etc... to let them know about your work. That should certainly bring you riders and maybe even some workers.

I'll take some directions to the trail at ed at eddieodea.com. Not too sure when I'll get back to FL, but it will happen eventually.

Eddie O

·
Registered
743 Posts
let me know the next time you guys decide to ride the trail and or do some work. Itchin to test out my new bike.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts