1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's see if this works. From an email I got from Superior Liquors:

"Great American Beer Fest:

The winners are in stock!

Another edition of the Great American Beer Festival is in the books. America's most important beer festival was a huge party as always, and those who were lucky enough to get tickets were able to sample the country's finest brews.
For all the partying and brouhaha, GABF is above all a competition. 3,900 beers from 522 breweries, representing 48 states, Puerto Rico and Washington D.C. were judged in 83 different categories. Gold, Silver and Bronze medals awarded to the top three brews in each category. Unfortunately many of the winning beers are not available in Colorado, but we are blessed to have more of them than most states. Below is a list of the beers that we do have, and they are in stock now!
-Chris

GABF Gold Medal winners
Specialty Beer
Hazelnut Brown Nectar, Rogue Ales, Newport, OR
American-Style Lager, Light Lager or Premium Lager
Old Milwaukee Light, Pabst Brewing Co., Woodridge, IL
International-Style Pale Ale
Boulevard Pale Ale, Boulevard Brewing Co., Kansas City, MO
Ordinary or Special Bitter
DBA, Firestone Walker Brewing Co., Paso Robles, CA
Imperial Stout
BORIS The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial Stout, Hoppin' Frog Brewing Co., Akron, OH
Sweet Stout
Steel Toe Stout, Ska Brewing Co., Durango, CO

GABF Silver Medal winners
Gluten-Free Beer
New Grist, Lakefront Brewery, Milwaukee, WI
Bohemian-Style Pilsener
Mama's Little Yella Pils, Oskar Blues Brewery, Longmont, CO
Busch Light, Anheuser-Busch, St. Louis, MO
American-Style Amber Lager
Colorado Native, AC Golden Brewing Co., Golden, CO
American-Style Dark Lager
Session Black, Full Sail Brewing Co., Hood River, OR
American-Style Amber/Red Ale
Jamaica Red Ale, Mad River Brewing Co., Blue Lake, CA
French and Belgian-Style Saison
Funkwerks Saison, Funkwerks, Fort Collins, CO

GABF Bronze Medal winners
American-Belgo-Style Ale
Boulevard Collaboration #2, Boulevard Brewing Co., Kansas City, MO
Specialty Honey Beer
Midas Touch, Dogfish Head Craft Brewery, Milton, DE
Indigenous Beer
Hot Rocks Lager, Port Brewing Co., San Marcos, CA
Scotch Ale
Old Chub Scotch Ale, Oskar Blues Brewery, Longmont, CO
German-Style Marzen
Samuel Adams Octoberfest, Boston Beer Co., Boston, MA
Pabst Blue Ribbon Light, Pabst Brewing Co., Woodrigde, IL"

I was looking for the winner(s) in the IPA category but apparently that wasn't a category. Gonna have to try the Imperial Stout winner, though.

1,328 Posts
Let's see if this works. From an email I got from Superior Liquors:

French and Belgian-Style Saison - Funkwerks Saison, Funkwerks, Fort Collins, CO

this gets two thumbs up from me. They (superior liq) have one or two more items from Funkwerks but I haven't yet tried the others.

also highly recommend the Cali-Belgique (or something close to that) from Stone

·
Registered
744 Posts
IPA is to broad of a category to remain on it's own these days. They split it up to allow room for the various styles of pale ales. This evens the playing field a little better. Check out categories 46-52 here:

http://www.greatamericanbeerfestival.com/wp-content/themes/2011/assets/uploads/gabf11_winners.pdf

Category: 50 American-Style Strong Pale Ale - 103 Entries
Gold: Pako's Eye P.A., Snake River Brewing, Jackson, WY Silver: AleSmith IPA, AleSmith Brewing Co., San Diego, CA Bronze: Hop Knot, Four Peaks Brewing Co., Tempe, AZ

Category: 51 American-Style India Pale Ale - 176 Entries
Gold: Elevated IPA, La Cumbre Brewing Co., Albuquerque, NM Silver: Deviant Dale's, Oskar Blues Brewery, Longmont, CO Bronze: Head Hunter IPA, Fat Head's Brewery, North Olmsted, OH

Category: 52 Imperial India Pale Ale - 102 Entries
Gold: Citra Double IPA, Kern River Brewing, Kernville, CA Silver: Double Jack, Firestone Walker Brewing Co., Paso Robles, CA Bronze: Imperial IPA, Epic Brewing Co., Salt Lake City, UT

·
Registered
9,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
IPA is to broad of a category to remain on it's own these days. They split it up to allow room for the various styles of pale ales. This evens the playing field a little better. Check out categories 46-52 here:

http://www.greatamericanbeerfestival.com/wp-content/themes/2011/assets/uploads/gabf11_winners.pdf

Category: 50 American-Style Strong Pale Ale - 103 Entries
Gold: Pako's Eye P.A., Snake River Brewing, Jackson, WY Silver: AleSmith IPA, AleSmith Brewing Co., San Diego, CA Bronze: Hop Knot, Four Peaks Brewing Co., Tempe, AZ

Category: 51 American-Style India Pale Ale - 176 Entries
Gold: Elevated IPA, La Cumbre Brewing Co., Albuquerque, NM Silver: Deviant Dale's, Oskar Blues Brewery, Longmont, CO Bronze: Head Hunter IPA, Fat Head's Brewery, North Olmsted, OH

Category: 52 Imperial India Pale Ale - 102 Entries
Gold: Citra Double IPA, Kern River Brewing, Kernville, CA Silver: Double Jack, Firestone Walker Brewing Co., Paso Robles, CA Bronze: Imperial IPA, Epic Brewing Co., Salt Lake City, UT
Thanks for that link. Any way of finding out where Sierra Nevada Torpedo placed? Not that it matters because it's still going to be my affordable go-to "Extra" IPA of choice. OTOH, I don't like Sierra Neva Pale Ale. Go figure.

If the illustrious taste buds roaming the Convention Center deemed other IPAs "better" and if one of them is affordable (like $13-14 a 12 pack) I'd like to try it. I guess that's what attendance at the GABF is all about, yeah? :D

·
Registered
744 Posts
Old Milwaukee Light? Really?
But it beat out Busch Light and PBR. Hey, they are beers brewed in the US and have the right to compete. I believe that it was a blind taste test and came out fairly. The judges are certified to tell the differences and determine if they meet the style. I doubt that any micro breweries were competing in that category. Believe it or not though, it is actually an art to brew a macro lager or light lager.

Beer judging is very subjective though. There are thousands of great beers out there and narrowing something like that down to the three best is a hard job. 176 entries in the American style IPA category! Can you imagine tasting 176 IPAs and trying to decide which was best? The first job is deciding which beers actually fit the description of that style. This might knock half of them out of the running right off the bat. Next they will decide which ones best represent the style. Just because one beer represents the style exactly, doesn't mean that it is going to be your favorite beer.

·
Oh, So Interesting!
5,906 Posts
Old Milwaukee Light? Really?
It isn't only about which beer is subjectively better, as bipolarbear said, it's judged according to the style of beer it's supposed to be. Pabst actually does a very good job at brewing american style light lagers... I'm surprised they haven't branched out with other styles of beer. I'd be up for a nice strong pale ale for $.50 a can :D

·
Registered
51 Posts
bipolarbear said:
Just because one beer represents the style exactly, doesn't mean that it is going to be your favorite beer.
Very true. There are plenty of really fine tasting brews that receive lower marks because they don't fit the style category. As a long time home brewer, I marvel at the explosion of finely crafted beers on the market these days. Walking into the GABF or even a Daveco, I feel like a little kid in a candy store. So many good beers, so little time! :madman:
KarateChicken said:
Imperial IPA - Green Flash San Marcos, CA should have garnered the gold
Well there is something we agree on!:thumbsup: Green Flash makes some great tasting beer. The Imperial IPA is excellent and the West Coast IPA is always high on my shopping list.

Cheers, Brian

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
French and Belgian-Style Saison - Funkwerks Saison, Funkwerks, Fort Collins, CO

this gets two thumbs up from me. They (superior liq) have one or two more items from Funkwerks but I haven't yet tried the others.

also highly recommend the Cali-Belgique (or something close to that) from Stone
FYI; Gordon at Funkwerks is an ex-Moots welder. Great to see that eye for quality is intact.

·
Registered
9,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I drank West Coast IPA when it came in a sixer for $8.99. Not so much now it's a four pack for $9.99.

·
a dad
2,927 Posts
I don't buy crappy beers at the bar. I do, however, spend waaay too much for a decent beer at a bar. The price of going out.
Well there you go.. you won't buy a 4 pack for $10.. I am not great at math, but i think thats $2.50 a beer, but you will spend money at a bar, probably $4-6 bucks for an average beer.. silly if you ask me.. Unless you hit the fine establishments that might actually serve West Coast stuff... but then again you are still paying way more for your beer.. Buy a 4 pack and enjoy it..its much better than most of the "decent" beers at the bar..

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.