Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Not an O2 thief.
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Kick ass weekend! Everyone looks like they went through some sort of self-flagellation with all the scratched up arms and legs. The riding was epic and it was great to socialize for a weekend.

Post pics please so we can entice more people for next year.....and maybe one day we can get the race organizers for Signal Peak Challenge (in Aug) to have the race on Sat so we can party hard on Sat night.

·
Hey, wait up!
1,542 Posts
fastmtnbiker33w said:
Kick ass weekend! Everyone looks like they went through some sort of self-flagellation with all the scratched up arms and legs. The riding was epic and it was great to socialize for a weekend.

Post pics please so we can entice more people for next year.....and maybe one day we can get the race organizers for Signal Peak Challenge (in Sept) to have the race on Sat so we can party hard on Sat night.
You beat me to the post up ;)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gila Goo Gah Gathering - Trails, Trials and Tribulations

Back when, the order was placed for an epic ride: long, rugged, rocky, technical, and insanely painful. The order fulfillment department put Tadpole Ridge on the menu.

The guidebook describes the trail as a "spectacular gem." The reality was a brutal, brushwhack over crazy slopes and rockfields. This is a challenging trail under any circumstances, but the wet spring weather and a prolonged lack of attention or maintenance have left the trail in many long stretches a mess of thorny, brambly locust tree-weeds. There were a couple of (short) stretches of riding, and the end part of the out-leg was a fun, bumpy downhill stretch.

And there were some SPECTACULAR views along the way to help ease the suffering.

A crew of 13 geographically diverse riders started and finished the Tadpole Torture Trail.

Sunday saw smaller groups of riders doing different adventures. AndyN and I had a good rollick down a true spectacular gem of the area, the l-o-n-g descent down the CDT trail and other downsloping goodness.

IMHO, an ok weekend on short notice and modest recon. July in the trees was a definite respite from the blast furnace conditions at home. I look forward to a repeat next summer, hopefully bigger, better and with a less primative trail on the menu.

A couple of shots from the Tadpole Ridge adventure

A local spectator

A trail cairn, with a little help from a fallen tree

A not half-bad view

And some Tadpole data:

·
"Yabut"
838 Posts
Yes, Saturdays ride was a definite adventure. My arms and legs look like I was in a cat fight! Thanks everyone for the fun weekend. It was cool to meet some new faces. It was also nice to get out of the Tucson heat, and enjoy some beautiful countryside. Here are a few photos from the weekend.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Teaser

Great fun - lot's of scratches indeed. Dave, Dave, and everyone else - great seeing/meeting you all out there.

I'm still downloading pix - but here's one:

Off of Signal Peak - somewhere along the traversing singletrack, just as it speeds downhill...

More soon!

·
Kathleen in AZ
5,178 Posts
Teaser #2

What a great long weekend for the AZ crowd! Cooler temps + rain + EZups made for a most enjoyable time. Great to meet new folks and see old friends too. More pics to come, but I like this one of Donna taken on Tadpole Ridge before the Saturday ride turned into a route-finding flesh-tearing hike....

Attachments

·
the cool nerd
8,643 Posts
pictures look like you had a great time. wish I was there, if nothing else, I could've carried some liquid libations and lowered the gears/rider ratio :D

I particularly like the flower/fire picture.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
sportsman said:
pictures look like you had a great time. wish I was there, if nothing else, I could've carried some liquid libations and lowered the gears/rider ratio :D

I particularly like the flower/fire picture.
Scott! SS'ers were more than accounted for - though they only numbered TWO, they were the husband & wife dynamic duo from El Paso on bling-a-delic Titus Ti 29" rockets. No surprise that the one gear they rode still kept us all chasing / in the dust.

You'd have enjoyed the crowd and rides.

g

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Thanks again to Dave for organizing this micro-gathering at the last minute, and once again I must accept complete responsibility for any suffering that occurred on Saturday's ride, though I must be disturbed because I enjoyed every minute.

Anyways, here's what I ended up with pixelwise. Nice to meet those of you who I hadn't met, and good to see those of you who I hadn't seen for a while.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
More Pix

Fastest man in the southwest:

Pit stop:

Crappy scenery:

Kathleen the Gathering Goddess rippin' it up:

Camo:

·
Kathleen in AZ
5,178 Posts

Attachments

·
Not an O2 thief.
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
nice horny toad!

Nice pics on your album Kathleen. You should have p'd off that horny toad to see if you could get it's eyes to bleed and spit blood. That would have been cool....but probably a bit inappropriate. It's been a banner year for those things in El Paso. It always freaks me out when that rock in the trail suddenly sprints away.

·
Rolling
11,120 Posts
OMG. I might have missed the thread. But this is the first pic I have seen of Donna's painted ISIS...wow. Nice one Joe.

And the comedy of Brian's tongue and Clay's determination...

Looks like a great time...too good a time in fact. Did you all get drunk before the ride??? Did Robert keep from getting hurt 10 minutes into the ride? Why is that humming bird looking at his ear instead of the feeder? Nevermind.

I wish I could have been there.

·
Kathleen in AZ
5,178 Posts
lidarman said:
OMG. I might have missed the thread.

And the comedy of Brian's tongue and Clay's determination...

Looks like a great time...too good a time in fact. Did you all get drunk before the ride??? Did Robert keep from getting hurt 10 minutes into the ride? Why is that humming bird looking at his ear instead of the feeder? Nevermind.

You did miss a good time. Robert was well behaved for the most part. He was actually very helpful, but I think that was due to the fact that he was wearing borrowed clothes to stay warm, drinking borrowed coffee in the morning, and eating borrowed food. haha... I think this "I don't know how to pack for camping" is just a ploy to sponge off us well-prepared campers :D . No drinking before the rides, but the lack of O2 did make us low-landers a bit dizzy.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
lidarman said:
OMG. I might have missed the thread. But this is the first pic I have seen of Donna's painted ISIS...wow. Nice one Joe.
Definately among the coolest rides - aside from perhaps the custom pink and blue Niner with a Lefty!

lidarman said:

Ha! While a lot of us were rather hung over while riding - I don't think there was any drunken riding...

Robert appeared to be in good shape - and among the more inebriated when the sun went down...

One can only speculate about what may be drawing the hummingbirds attention away from it's feeder - and I ain't goin' there!

You'd have really dug it Rich - despite the Tadpole Ridge ride being harder than my GITA death March 2 years ago. Freakin' unreal how much terrain there is there. If we do another G4 dealie-o - I'd recommend a multi-day trip for our friends to the north.... hit Santa Fe or ABQ as a mid-point, then head down to SC for 2-4 days, repeat pit-stop drive heading home. As it was, it was a 5 hour drive from Santa Fe! Boulder would be a haul.

I'm with Dave though - if we do it agian, I'll show up early and do some trail clearing first. It was 90% Locust related - the few downed trees and techy sections would be minimal work.

·
rohloff rich
397 Posts
Did you know that cashew shells are poisonous?

glenzx said:
...despite the Tadpole Ridge ride being harder than my GITA death March 2 years ago.
Hmmm. Debatable.

The coolest part of the whole weekend for me was how everyone helped out those afflicted with flat tire syndrome on Saturday whether it was Clay or me (four flats!--Dave: I'll be rockin' a tubeless setup by the weekend). Sunday's ride was most excellent as well, especially since one of the locals (and former Santa Fean) Jamie schooled the 'A' ride on his CX bike. Oh, then he rode the 20 miles(?) back to town. Monster.

Enjoyed seeing old friends and meeting and riding with the new folks. Especially enjoyed the use of the community shower. Thanks Kathleen!

Rich

·
Banned
340 Posts
Thanks all for the great shots of what must have been some great rides. I've ridden the trails around Silver City once and it's clear that I barely scratched the surface of the available terrain. Sorry I wasn't there, but I had a long standing commitment over that weekend (which was definitely NOT the SFBFL!)

Dr.(slow and gimpy, but riding)Faustus

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.