Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 08 GF Marlin (19") and love the way the bike handles. However my lower back gets sore on longer rides. I'm not sure if it has more to do with the trails I'm riding (lots of roots, rocks, small drops and jumps) or if the geometry of the bike also plays a role. I'm 6'0" with a 34" inseam and 75" arm span and might be a bit stretched out on the Marlin. I'm planning on getting a 29er for my next bike which should help with the rough terrain, but I'm wondering if I should stay away from the G2 geometry.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
bank5 said:
I have a 08 GF Marlin (19") and love the way the bike handles. However my lower back gets sore on longer rides. I'm not sure if it has more to do with the trails I'm riding (lots of roots, rocks, small drops and jumps) or if the geometry of the bike also plays a role. I'm 6'0" with a 34" inseam and 75" arm span and might be a bit stretched out on the Marlin. I'm planning on getting a 29er for my next bike which should help with the rough terrain, but I'm wondering if I should stay away from the G2 geometry.
Nope, G2 is still a good choice. Actually, the Marlin doesn't have G2 geometry yet, but it will for 09. The current Genesis geo is pretty similar to G2, but G2 also includes changes to the head angle and fork offset.

The important thing to look at with fit is your reach from the seat to the handlebars (both height and length of your reach). The same fit can be achieved with a G2 bike as with any other bike even though every company's bikes starts with slightly different geometry out of the box. However you should not be counting on the stock fit of the bike to be perfect. Bikes sizes are designed to each cover a range of different sized people, so won't be perfect for most of them.

Try a shorter stem, maybe with a bit more rise as well or a higher riser bar. Anyway, a new stem is a cheap fix that can drastically change the fit of your bike and save you from of unnecessary pain. Check out the Truvativ XR. My bike came with one of these, and I just bought two more so I can play around with stem lengths in the real world and find the perfect fit. For $20 bucks each I see it as a good investment? They aren't bling, but they are light and stiff.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.