Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So most of you know by now that VPP creates a lot of rotation at the rear shock's rear eyelet. This, in turn, destroys the rear eyelet teflon DU bushing in very quick order (like... a month's worth of riding) which leads to the dreaded Santa Cruz "creak" when pedaling hard or uphill. Well you can either buy a boatload of DU bushings OR... replace with RWC's needle bearing. You only need to do the rear eyelet as the front does not go thru the same amount of rotation. SC's bikes (including the new Solo and Bronson) use kit no. NBKRWC2185. The only exception are the older Nomad's I believe. Here's the link:
RWC SHOCK EYE NEEDLE BEARING KITS
My Bronson is back to being stealth quiet PLUS it has better small bump compliance because there is less friction and the shock moves more freely (this is not imagined - it will even slightly affect the sag!). Hope this post can help some of you as I am a real believer in this product (used them for over 4 years now) and I'm not associated with them in any way. It's something I feel should come from SC to begin with as it really is a major problem solver!

Have FUN!

G MAN

·
Banned
7,171 Posts
Or...put on some ear buds and ride with music so you can't hear it :D

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The problem with that ^^ is you just end up trashing the reducers too and eventually oval out the shock eyelets themselves! Trust me, this isn't something to be taken lightly, it's a real problem with VPP designs.

Have FUN!

G MAN

·
chasing simplicity
1,309 Posts
Invaluable Gman, thank you! Two months on Solo and for the life of me could not isolate the creak...loosened, lubed and loctited (where applicable) every "usual suspect" bolt...now I know why I wasted my time. Looking forward to the sound of silence.

·
Banned
7,171 Posts
I was being a bit cheeky...I thought you had a BLTc and frequented the thread on that bike/frame...? The RWC's needle bearing has been beaten to death on that thread addressing your exact problem, but I guess it hasn't been pulled out into its own topic yet.

Anyway, just to add to your topic...
Cane Creek DBa's CAN'T use these bearings w/o some work done to bore out the rear shock eyelet. AND, Chris has updated his kits to include several tolerances of axles to eliminate play.

I've ran these on a Nomad MK1 (Nomads do have its own part number), Blur LTc, Tallboy LTc, and now the '14 Canfield Jedi. AND, Chris is SUPER helpful if you need support w/ the thing.

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No, I had a Blur and BLTa as well as an M3 and felt this would be of some help to a lot of new users that are jumping on the Solo and Bronson bandwagon that were unaware of this problem. Plus RWC does not list the Bronson nor Solo yet so I'm confirming the part number needed. And yes, Chris is the man! I guess the RWC bearings will eventually wear out too but I never did wear any of mine out over 3+ years riding each of those bikes. The best bang for buck upgrade I've ever done to any of my bikes and that's saying a lot considering I tinker with just about everything!

Have FUN!

G MAN

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
No, I had a Blur and BLTa as well as an M3 and felt this would be of some help to a lot of new users that are jumping on the Solo and Bronson bandwagon that were unaware of this problem. Plus RWC does not list the Bronson nor Solo yet so I'm confirming the part number needed. And yes, Chris is the man! I guess the RWC bearings will eventually wear out too but I never did wear any of mine out over 3+ years riding each of those bikes. The best bang for buck upgrade I've ever done to any of my bikes and that's saying a lot considering I tinker with just about everything!

Have FUN!

G MAN
Thanks G! My Bronson is set to arrive this week and have wore out many a DU on other dual link bikes in as little as two weeks before with lots of fast, rocky-tech riding (plastic, Enduro needle, metal). Happy to hear about this as alternative to when the Fox plastic dies.

·
NMBP
1,158 Posts
I have a Tallboy with the Kashima shock that has the fancy new bushings, not the old style DU bushing. Do you think that the needle bearing is still needed with this newer design?

·
i'm schralping yer thread
1,180 Posts
Perfect timing, G MAN -- just noticed some play in my lower shock DU. Thanks, buddy!

And when are you making it down to Seattle for a shred? Gimme a shout.

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Perfect timing, G MAN -- just noticed some play in my lower shock DU. Thanks, buddy!

And when are you making it down to Seattle for a shred? Gimme a shout.
When the weather dries up a bit we need to shred Duthie!

Cheers,

G

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have a Tallboy with the Kashima shock that has the fancy new bushings, not the old style DU bushing. Do you think that the needle bearing is still needed with this newer design?
I think the needle bearings will wear longer with less friction but those are better than the standard DU bushings.

Have FUN!

G MAN

·
b a n n e d
6,213 Posts
So did RWC pay for the ad space here?

·
Rocks belong
5,292 Posts
Just put an RWC kit on my Remedy 9.9

Holy crap is it smooth. My R9.9's DRCV shock already has bearings on the upper shock mount, so adding the RWC kit on the lower/full floater shock mount made the shock completely supported by bearings (instead of bushings). I, too, had to increase PSI to adjust the sag. I've read you might want to adjust rebound as well.

Chris at RWC offered great support (my 2013 R9.9 carbon frame was an odd size and we had to do some back/forth to get it right).

·
Rocks belong
5,292 Posts
You could do it with sockets and a C-clamp/threaded bolt, but vise makes it easier.

·
Registered
116 Posts
My RWC needle bearings have always had a slight bit of play in them from day one. Just enough to notice when picking the bike up from the seat post. Is this normal standard deviation?

1 - 20 of 126 Posts