Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to decide on which bike to buy. (Gary Fisher Marlin or Giant Yukon) This will be my first mountain bike to buy. I only want to spend $500 or less. I will use it mainly on the weekends on local trails.

I am 5'8" 150 lbs.

Which bike would be the best purchase and if there is another bike that might be better, please make any suggestions!

Thanks! :)

·
Registered
253 Posts
I love my marlin. It waas my first bike and I still love to ride it even thought I have a new full suspension bike. They put a better fork on the 05's. I have been pretty rough on mine (jumping it and on technical terrain), even though the bike is not designed to take that abuse. I weigh about 190 and the bike has held up nicely. I will tell you that the Giant Yukon and Marlin have different feels to them. I thought the Marlin felt more inspiring to me. I would test ride both. Both are good entry level bikes. If you go Giant, cehck out the Iguana.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I bought an 03 Yukon as my first mountain bike and I loved it (have since upgraded). Pretty much all manufacturer's bikes in the $500 price range are similarly specd. One thing to notice about the Marlin is that it has a top tube that is about an 1.5" longer than the Yukon. That will give you a more stretched out feel on the bike. Some people like it, some people don't. You have to try it out and see for yourself.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.