Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
29.5lbs, on shop digital scale. The EX8 seemed to weigh a couple lbs less, and that was in a 19.5" size. Retail price is $1700 for the 7, and $2000 for the 8. The EX7 is the lowest Fuel with the seatstay pivots, which I would consider a huge improvement over the ones that don't have them (EX5,6). OK, it has stopped raining now, so I can go outside and play...

·
Registered
331 Posts
I just bought a new 07 EX8 17.5. I upgraded the wheels to Bontrager Race X Lites and the seatpost to Bonti X Lite and the shifters to LX. My LBS did not weigh it but my guess is the bike weighs around 27 or 27.5. You can't go wrong with either the EX7 or EX8. Enjoy!

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
both bikes were completely stock, as listed on Treks website

kdiddy said:
with pedals? reflectors? any changes from stock? Good stuff. Did you make an actual reading for the EX8? Thanks.
pedals were clipless, with plastic platforms for test rides. Did not weigh the EX8, but for $300 more, it was noticably lighter than the EX7, and it was a bigger frame as well.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a 07 EX 8 on the way, and would like to knock a little bit of weight off without breaking the bank. Besides wheels, what would be a good place to start? I was thinking carbon bar and possibly carbon seatpost..anyone any ideas roughly how much weight this would knock off? Thanks

Marc

·
Registered
710 Posts
Depends on what bar/seatpost you go with and how much you want to spend. probably 50 - 150g depending on how much the stock ones weigh.

My opinion is to save your money and then replace the wheels. Probably going to see the biggest benefit there. See if the LBS will swap them with other wheels for an upgrade cost.

·
Registered
22 Posts
You're probably right, better off saving and putting money towards a better wheelset, I just like the idea of carbon! Probably gonna leave it stock for a little while anyway, besides the tyres (tires for you Americans!) that is, the stock set are meant to be no use for the mud and rain in Ireland..thanks for the advice.

Marc

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Or you could just ride what is stock on the bike as they are decent parts. Unless your riding competitively, I don't see any need to spend so much money to upgrade parts that are in excellent working condition. But I guess the bling factor is there...

·
Registered
50 Posts
9.5 EX weight

"07" 9.5 EX in 21.5" 27lbs. even. With an Ultimate digital scale at the shop.
This is stock except: Thomson post 410mm, using the supplied QR instead of bolt only post clamp, Thomson stem 110mm, Thomson top cap, Gobi saddle,
Maxxis Minion F 2.3, Maxxis Minion R 2.35, standard tubes, Time ATAC XX pedals, M07-S resin pads in place of XTR Ti backed pads, and a Trek Bat Cage.
So, it could come down a little, but other than waiting for the Bonty rim stripes to get rid of the tubes then add back a little Bonty Super Juice it is GREAT and wouldn't change anything except tyres according to terrain. Well, may try a set of the Rythem Elites to get a bigger foot print and bump in stiffness over X-Lites again depending on terrain.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hmmm, I had heard that the 07 EX 8 was 2 lbs lighter then last years, that it (07) was meant to weigh 26.5 lbs (17.5 frame iirc). Obviously a little optimistic! Still, 28/29 lbs is still pretty light for a 5 inch full bouncer as far as I'm concerned...

·
Registered
331 Posts
EX8 Weight

My medium Ex8 did seem lighter than the EX7 at the LBS. I agree that the easiest way to shed weight is to go with a lighter wheel set and go tubeless. Also consider seat post, bar, stem, saddle, pedals and crankset. I don't need the lightest bike around, but a 27pound 5 " travel aggresive XC bike is still pretty sweet. Also, I just upgraded my rear shock to an RP23. Awesome! :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.