Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Look at it this way : wider than Mary's with more hand positions at a slight weight penalty and similar or even lower price. (what were those at introduction?)
Normal sized and geary riders need good handlebars too, you know. I think I'll very much like these on a geared hardtail build where the Ti of the real H doesn't add much anyway. Then, the real weighs ~310g also, and IMO is well worth it over any featherweight broomstick. Just a tad wide for me at ~710mm for anything but Singlespeed (for which it's the sweet spot).
Hmmm, I may get the Titec H-bar for my Fisher Paragon. It's now got a flipped Mary and 100mm stem, a tad long reach and low position for me. The flipped H will probably be just that little bit closer in (similar rise/drop unfortunately, around 3/4 to 1" is best for adjustment IMO).

·
Registered
702 Posts
Hmmm, If they did away with the silly riser they could save weight and reduce the cost. It'd them be a good bar for suspension users who don't need the flex of the Jones ti.
Of course the only reason I ride Jones bars is I'm hoping some of his riding ability will rub off on me (nothing so far though).

·
gray hair in my shammy
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
MightySchmoePong said:
If you'd hung around longer on the ride you would have seen the one Jonathan had. Looked pretty good.

Dave
Yea, but I had a previous engagement with a bathroom renovation. I had to drop off when you guys crossed the river. I had seen those bars before. They're a prototype Jon got from a Titec rep, He's been running that on his fixie for a few months now. When we did the C&O He used them and loved them. Thinking I may pick up one for mine.
It was great seeing ya Dave. I'll try and get up to your neck of the woods more often this year, once I get my geared susser up and running.
John

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Cloxxki said:
Normal sized and geary riders need good handlebars too, you know. I think I'll very much like these on a geared hardtail build where the Ti of the real H doesn't add much anyway.
Hopefully Titec did something to better accommodate putting shifters on the bars. I've been riding a set of JJ H-Bars on my geared FS bike for the last 6mo after liking them so much on my singlespeed, but shifter options (twisters don't fit, triggers can be mounted but aren't ergo) and the loss of hand positions due to them (and remote pop-locs) is aggravating.

I'm using Paul thumb-shifters, and they work okay ... but the Titec bar won't be very popular if you have to use those.

·
drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
3,910 Posts
anotherbrian said:
Hopefully Titec did something to better accommodate putting shifters on the bars. I've been riding a set of JJ H-Bars on my geared FS bike for the last 6mo after liking them so much on my singlespeed, but shifter options (twisters don't fit, triggers can be mounted but aren't ergo) and the loss of hand positions due to them (and remote pop-locs) is aggravating.

I'm using Paul thumb-shifters, and they work okay ... but the Titec bar won't be very popular if you have to use those.
I groped one of the bars yesterday that Schmoe was talking about, and it looks even less capable of putting shifters on it, esp. if you considered putting the shifters on this aft part. I say this because the straight part behind the cross bar (where the grips go) are shorter than the ti H-bar (I placed the Titec atop my Jones to compare.) The front part (where the hook is) looks exactly the same length and bend.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Shimano has a useful thing for this lately, integrated shifters and levers. Use the El Cheapo LX's with cable brake levers, and be happy.

·
highly visible
3,284 Posts
Remember, 390g isn't that far out of range for bars+ends anyway.

I'm probably going to get one so I can do a long term test of the bar angle vs. Mary, which isn't quite swept far enough back for me.

If I like it enough, I'll sell it and plunk down the near-$300 for the Ti H bar. If I don't like it, I'll just sell it.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Cloxxki said:
Shimano has a useful thing for this lately, integrated shifters and levers. Use the El Cheapo LX's with cable brake levers, and be happy.
heh. _Almost_. I'm not a SRAM bigot, but I didn't have any Shimano rear MTB derailleurs until I bought the Paul's shifters. Right now I'm going to leave that as the limit of my investment.

I originally bought a set of X.0 triggers that I planned to use on the H-Bars. I figured if they didn't work out of the box (and at the time JJ was still recommending the Shimano integrated shifters as the best solution), a small adapter could be machined to fit between the X.0 handlebar clamp and pod. I no longer have access to a mill though, and I'm hoping someone decides they need the same thing and mass produces a bunch.

·
Banned
4,348 Posts
I was actually at my lbs yesterday, just looking at stuff. A rep for Titec brought a pair in for us to check out. I run a Jones H-bar on my 29"ss and love it. However, the Titec bar, while looking like a Jones bar, has a rise in it. I don't know, but I think that may have been a little too much. Almost like they were trying to be different for the sake of being different. Just my two cents.

·
drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
3,910 Posts
EDDIE JONES said:
I was actually at my lbs yesterday, just looking at stuff. A rep for Titec brought a pair in for us to check out. I run a Jones H-bar on my 29"ss and love it. However, the Titec bar, while looking like a Jones bar, has a rise in it. I don't know, but I think that may have been a little too much. Almost like they were trying to be different for the sake of being different. Just my two cents.
Yeah, but did you notice that they sloped back down slightly as they continued towards the angled pieces? It's a little hard to tell in the pictures, but when you see it in person and can spin it around, you'll notice:

Another neat thing about this bar is how the center bar goes back (instead of straight across), diminishing the need to get a longer stem -- although JJ has changed his tune about the need to get a stem 20mm longer than usual for his ti version.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.