Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shimano is warning consumers about a Shimano-clearance website. Most mtbr Members would be suspicious. But spread the word.

· Registered
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are the products fake or is the web site fake? Surprising shimano didn’t state the products are counterfeit in the press release…
Yea, it’s pretty bare bones.

Maybe Shimano is only concerned that riders in the US will pay the reduced Euro prices.

Edit: I guess my OP should have said fake Shimano website.

· Registered
3,330 Posts
I bought a couple of 11sp XTR from eBay and got burned. Torched my cassette/chainring in no time…

Slight hijack but figured it’a relative to the counterfeit thing.
just wondering how the new chain damaged your drivetrain? Was it stretched even when new, or just stretched super fast? I may have bought a fake 11 speed shimano chain too. I'm on my 5th ride. On the 4th the QR link snapped. Ironically if I did buy a fake chain I have to say the first few rides the chain ran very efficiently with perfect shifting. I was just about one gear up compared to normal kind of blown away with how much better my bike felt with just a fresh chain/chainring.

· Registered
2,527 Posts
just wondering how the new chain damaged your drivetrain? Was it stretched even when new, or just stretched super fast? I may have bought a fake 11 speed shimano chain too. I'm on my 5th ride. On the 4th the QR link snapped. Ironically if I did buy a fake chain I have to say the first few rides the chain ran very efficiently with perfect shifting. I was just about one gear up compared to normal kind of blown away with how much better my bike felt with just a fresh chain/chainring.
I'd put a chain wear gauge on that chain. My second fake one, only a couple rides old showed more wear then if I ran a low end first quality chain for over a year straight.

How did I notice? The first chain was hitching on a newish quality nw chainring after a couple of months. Extra friction you could feel even with fresh lube. That's when I put the second one on and noticed it did the same thing. The slop in the rollers must have fish-hooked the teeth on the CR enough to kill it quick.

Shifting was fine and surprisingly neither chain broke, but I didn't keep the second one on for long.

· high pivot witchcraft
6,721 Posts
I bought fake Shimano derailleurs on Amazon. I left a review accordingly, even showing pictures of how the derailleur was a mutant mashup of Shimano-like parts, but my review was challenged by the vendor and got removed.
Wow. That’s total bull$hit. Yet another reason to blow off Amazon.

· Registered
84 Posts
That sucks there is knock off shimano parts out there. I'm going to try the lbs when I'm ready to replace the boys rear derailleur. Worse case is order it off Amazon, Jenson, or somewhere like that. Hopefully if we get something from Amazon it's not fake knock off.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.