Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
GEAUX TIGERS!!!
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In case some of you did not know, Ape Canyon and Plains of Abraham is ready. There were 2 places where I had to cross 20 feet of snow, but thats all. I was a little worried riding up the paved road for 5 miles to the Ape trailhead because there was snow patches everywhere.
What is that little furry animal you see when the Plains of Abe starts? I always see one when I go up there, but do not know what it is. It kind of looks like a cross between a beaver and a cat. It seems to have no fear of humans.

Attachments

·
Singletrack Addict
1,167 Posts
Brandon said:
According to a post on the PUMP list Smith Creek is very brushy and therefore difficult to near impassible in spots.
That's how it goes. Smith Creek is a very remote and rugged trail that requires hike-a-bike in many sections that ought better be described as primitive portages. Last year that first creek crossing was blessed with a sketchy log bridge that negated a tenuous creek crossing. But every year the erosion down in there creates more mysteries. For all we know that convenient log bridge could have been washed away.

Can't wait to get down there to explore:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Thank you for the information Hagen!!! I am going on Saturday for the loop.I will do my best with the shrubbery and aquatic zones.When it comes to snapshots I am not "geared" for proper display.I will write whatever pertinent info that I am able to remember.Damn...I am excited.Enjoy what is to come.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Snake Muesl said:
That's how it goes. Smith Creek is a very remote and rugged trail that requires hike-a-bike in many sections that ought better be described as primitive portages. Last year that first creek crossing was blessed with a sketchy log bridge that negated a tenuous creek crossing. But every year the erosion down in there creates more mysteries. For all we know that convenient log bridge could have been washed away.

Can't wait to get down there to explore:thumbsup:
The Pumpsters took 10 hours to complete the loop if that gives you any clues but a more recent post says there's some work planned for that area this summer so it might improve a bit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Howdy, been lurking on MTBR for a bit and figured I'd chirp in about the Ape-Abe-Smith loop as I did it a couple of weekends ago. The Smith Creek trail is marked as closed at the Lava Canyon trailhead down by the Ape Canyon trailhead, for good reason. For the most part, Smith Creek was alright, predictably overgrown through much of the upper part. However, there is a REALLY sketchy washout about 5-6 miles in, between the two forks of the creek. It's probably about 50 feet long and about 40 feet down on either side. The extremely skinny ridge is really, really unstable, and a long way down to the creeks. Would have taken pictures but we didn't have a camera. After that, there's still a fairly challenging route-find after you ford the creek. I don't recall there being any rudimentary log bridges to cross creeks, so I would guess those have washed away. Personally, I would never ride that trail again unless the severe washout is rerouted. That said, agreed that Ape Canyon and Plains of Abe are in great shape, they would make a fine out-and-back.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm heading up to Ape/Abe on Friday with a friend. I've never been there before and may be moving back to Wisconsin in a couple weeks so I have to check it out. Anybody planning on riding there Friday? I'd love to have a larger group, especially with some people who know their way around! PM me if you'd like to meet up or email me logan7 ....at..... uwalumni.com

·
ride the moment
1,067 Posts
BrianN said:
Great pics! The creature is a Marmot, also known as a whistle-pig.....
-B
Just out of curiosity where are you from? I grew up in the south and we called groundhogs whistle pigs. Of course they are closely related to the "marmots" of the west, which are actually several species, but I've never heard anyone use that term out here. I've also not heard the marmots make noise like the groundhogs back home which, in addition to whistling, hiss very loudly and gnash their teeth.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.