Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
1/4 to 3/8 adapters don't bother me at all, I've got a couple of them and the Craftsman allen and torx bits already. Being able to take a dead tool to any Sears store for a free replacement is worth having to add the adapter IMO.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
xjoex said:
For not much more you can get this set from Northern Tool that includes many more bits (torx and hex):
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200310392_200310392

I picked it up a few years ago on sale for $11. So keep your eyes peeled.

-Joe
The whole purpose of the post was the fact that I wanted 1/4 drive, just like the ones I mentioned in the OP those go to 3/8 drive at 5mm. 1/4 drive is all that is required for 98% of bicycle work, Much better feal with light ratchets and extensions. :thumbsup:

BTW the quality of those Northern Tool brand would not cut it for me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I ordered these after seeing these on this thread. Thanks senna. I had been looking around for a 1/4" drive set. These seem to me to be excellent quality. I got mine (in the US) from Amazon dot com. Perfect for a 1/4" torque wrench!

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Keepitsharp said:
I ordered these after seeing these on this thread. Thanks senna. I had been looking around for a 1/4" drive set. These seem to me to be excellent quality. I got mine (in the US) from Amazon dot com. Perfect for a 1/4" torque wrench!
I am glad they worked out for you.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I'd be reluctant to routinely put >300 inch-pounds through a 1/4" drive square, especially if the drive square were part of my torque wrench, so if it were me, I'd be shelving the 8mm and 10mm ones. Octalink crank bolts, UltraTorque hirth-joint bolts and freehub-body fixing bolts are all beyond what I'd want to subject a 1/4" drive square to. I'm sure the sockets themselves can handle it, though.

Personally, I use the Lisle 3/8"-drives for a stubby length, and Proto for medium and long lengths. The Lisles are an especially good value, US-made and under $20 locally for the 3-10mm set.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
mechBgon said:
I'd be reluctant to routinely put >300 inch-pounds through a 1/4" drive square, especially if the drive square were part of my torque wrench, so if it were me, I'd be shelving the 8mm and 10mm ones. Octalink crank bolts, UltraTorque hirth-joint bolts and freehub-body fixing bolts are all beyond what I'd want to subject a 1/4" drive square to. I'm sure the sockets themselves can handle it, though.

Personally, I use the Lisle 3/8"-drives for a stubby length, and Proto for medium and long lengths. The Lisles are an especially good value, US-made and under $20 locally for the 3-10mm set.
No wories, my 1/4 drive torque wrench only goes to 200 in #'s. Only makes ( comon ) sense to go to 3/8 drive at that point. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
One Pivot said:
my 1/4 inch QR chuck impact removes lugnuts at 80 ft/lbs.. yup, 1/4 inch!

wouldnt worry about it at all.
Now we are using impact wrenches on our bikes that don't even have lug nut's :confused:

Totally relevant comment, thanks for the input.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.