Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
except change 29er's
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused: I have been thinking about a inferno but in light of the nomad and now the 06 fxr I'm so confused on what to get. I have a 05 prophet but it has not been a good experience. The thing I like most is the floating brake on the inferno. When I hit my brakes on a real big drop that has rocks and stuff it my prophet realy jacks me with the single pivot design. I also like the 2:1 and new design of the fxr. Then the price of the nomad is very apealing. So many bike so little money.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
Well

trueride said:
:confused: I have been thinking about a inferno but in light of the nomad and now the 06 fxr I'm so confused on what to get. I have a 05 prophet but it has not been a good experience. The thing I like most is the floating brake on the inferno. When I hit my brakes on a real big drop that has rocks and stuff it my prophet realy jacks me with the single pivot design. I also like the 2:1 and new design of the fxr. Then the price of the nomad is very apealing. So many bike so little money.
The prophet and FXR will be fairly similar but it appears that the FXRs pivot location will make for less peddal feedback and the Curnutt should filter the brake jack better than the Manitou shocks on the prophet. My experience with my Blur and the fact that the V 10 uses a floating kit made me believe that VPP's are similar to high single pivots so that puts the Nomad in the same catagory with regard to Brake jack IMO. The Inferno has more travel and the low pivot to go with the Floating Brake kit so as long as you don't mind the extra weight I think it will ride better than the others overall. I personally think a 6" FXR is a better compromise but it'll still have some jack.

·
Registered
356 Posts
i own a inferno , i tried to save some weight using lightweight parts like wheels , tires , fox 36 rcl , Ti BB , 180 grams saddle , carbon bars , Ti spring ... i got 36 pound bicycle ( large frame weight's 4250 grams) .it is very supple over small bumps but i really disappointed with inferno's big hits performance its never feels like 7,5 inch bike, i'm using right spring rate to my weight ( 350 spring rate to 191 pound rider weight w/ gear) i had tried many set up like using low pressure in Curnnut or high pressure in fox fork but it's still harsh over big pumps, the floating brake is very efficient its action is similar to FSR bicycle perfomance.but to me the best inferno attribute is its handling . right known i thinking to sell my inferno frame and ordering a NOMAD or 6.6 intense, I'm looking for lightweight bike and more efficient and tunable suspension.

·
I've got a Stiffee
913 Posts
Go with a 6 Pack/RFX, it will handle everything and can be built up to 31-32lbs if you want. Mine is 32.7lbs with a Fox Vanilla 36/DHX Air and Mavic 819's/Hope Bulb hubs. I can climb all day long on this bike and it goes down the steeps and technical trails with a lot of confidence and no brake jack.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts