Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me the shock eye-to-eye measurement and shock stroke on a Foes FXR? Either 2007 or 2008 models.

Also, has anyone had success getting a Cane Creek Double Barrel shock fitted on an FXR?

(Malcolm at CC mentioned unusual shock mount fitting to have to work around...but said they'd give it a go)

Helpful info much appreciated.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
11.5" for the 6" 06/07

the 6.5" travel 08/09 is an inch longer.
jacksonbrowne said:
Can anyone tell me the shock eye-to-eye measurement and shock stroke on a Foes FXR? Either 2007 or 2008 models.

Also, has anyone had success getting a Cane Creek Double Barrel shock fitted on an FXR?

(Malcolm at CC mentioned unusual shock mount fitting to have to work around...but said they'd give it a go)

Helpful info much appreciated.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I considered doing this myself on the fxr. The ccdb max length is 10.5" and I was wondering if CC would do a custom ccdb beyond that size for the Foes. The FXR are either 11.75" or 12.25" i think depending on model run. The latest one is 12.25.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
from Foes:

FXR 2007 - 11.25" x3"
FXR 2008.2009 - 12.25" x3"

Margot Core
Director of Marketing
FOES RACING

- but, hey, they list the FXR 09 as having 6.5" of travel... with a 3" shock stroke @ 2:1 ratio...???

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wow - old thread revival!!

well, i now own an FXR 2011 (with 150mm rear + floating brake)

shock eye to eye is...let me see...I measure it at 12 1/8" or approx 305mm. (that's eye to eye with shock fitted, so unfitted it may well be 12 1/4")

hope that is of some use

·
Registered
289 Posts
well, i now own an FXR 2011 (with 150mm rear + floating brake)

shock eye to eye is...let me see...I measure it at 12 1/8" or approx 305mm. (that's eye to eye with shock fitted, so unfitted it may well be 12 1/4")

hope that is of some use
12.25 really....The owner of the one I am currently thinking about buying is telling me that it is 9.5. I am seeking to verify this measurement.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yep, really 12.25.
see teh posts above (when i pasted in the email info direct from Foes). and now i've measured mine.
that's for the Curnutt shocks that Foes use. Foes are unique in specc'ing these shocks; they have much longer shock stroke than regular shocks to work with the Foes design with very low leverage ratios (typically around 2:1)

if you live in the States, i suggest phoning Foes themselves if you want to be 100% sure. (phone them, don't email: they are slow on email replies).
if you're not in the US, i suggest calling your nearest distributor - see the Foes racing website for a list of distributors/importers etc.

(note: if the owner has fitted a non-Curnitt shock with a 9.5" eye to eye shock, and that IS a possibility, but he MUST be using a propietry Foes shock adapter...like i have on my Foes 4X frame. with an adapter the remainder of the eye to eye is made up by the adapter, e.g. 12.25 - 9.5 = 2.75", so teh adapter makes up the 'missing' 2.75")

·
Registered
289 Posts
yep, really 12.25.
see teh posts above (when i pasted in the email info direct from Foes). and now i've measured mine.
that's for the Curnutt shocks that Foes use. Foes are unique in specc'ing these shocks; they have much longer shock stroke than regular shocks to work with the Foes design with very low leverage ratios (typically around 2:1)

if you live in the States, i suggest phoning Foes themselves if you want to be 100% sure. (phone them, don't email: they are slow on email replies).
if you're not in the US, i suggest calling your nearest distributor - see the Foes racing website for a list of distributors/importers etc.

(note: if the owner has fitted a non-Curnitt shock with a 9.5" eye to eye shock, and that IS a possibility, but he MUST be using a propietry Foes shock adapter...like i have on my Foes 4X frame. with an adapter the remainder of the eye to eye is made up by the adapter, e.g. 12.25 - 9.5 = 2.75", so teh adapter makes up the 'missing' 2.75")
He has been running a vivid air and he sent me pics and there is no shock adapter on it.

·
Crazed Country Rebel
6,345 Posts
PM me your email address and I will send them over.
yah, I want to see the pics, too. I dont think anyone makes a shock this long, other than foes.

FWIW i am running a DHX air on my FXR and its great.

·
Crazed Country Rebel
6,345 Posts
Heres one.
you got any better pics?

The longest vivid they make is 9.5". The eye to eye on the foes is 12.5.

It looks like from the pic that the linkage has been modified. Need a better pic to be sure, though.

·
Crazed Country Rebel
6,345 Posts
you got any better pics?

It looks like from the pic that the linkage has been modified. Need a better pic to be sure, though.
I see. That is Cody Warrens old bike. He's a pro, and this is a custom frame. The forward shock mount is from the 2010 frame, and is placed down on the downtube.

·
Registered
289 Posts
you got any better pics?

Most of the pics are pretty bad. Here are the better ones but no shock installed.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 34 Posts