Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

261 - 280 of 307 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Does anyone have a guide for adjusting the SRAM Level brake reach and bite? These are the stock 2020 comp brake levers. I tried googling a bit but couldn't find the specific model.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Hey Guys,

One recommendation i have is if you are going +tires make sure to get something with a thicker sidewall. The trail version of the butcher seems to roll a bunch.
I've seen the repeated comment from multiple reviewers that the rear 2.6 rolls a lot on the rim, which is 29mm internal.

Maxxis reccomend that a 29mm rim is only used for tyres up to 2.4. They recommend a 35-40mm rim for 2.6 tyres (page 6 in the link below).

I hope to buy a Fuse soon. I'm thinking that if I encounter the same tyre roll problem, I'm probably going to try a 2.4 tyre on the back at least.

Interested in your thoughts?

https://www.maxxis.com/media/987636/2020-maxxis-bicycle-catalog.pdf

·
Registered
248 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello all,

I am having a tough time figuring out my size for this bike. it seems like people are saying they are a size up from other bikes.
I am 6' 1" with a 32" inseam (short legs and arms with a longer torso)
I am leaning toward an XL, but I was hoping there might be some helpful insight from people on this forum.

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hello all,

I am having a tough time figuring out my size for this bike. it seems like people are saying they are a size up from other bikes.
I am leaning toward an XL, but I was hoping there might be some helpful insight from people on this forum.

thanks in advance.
I'm 6' .5" (half inch), 34 inseam, probably longer legs than you and I use a large just fine. Don't fell squished but nice and nimble.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Hello all,

thanks in advance.
6'1" here and owned a large. I would have preferred more reach. It wasn't terribly cramped, but did feel short to me compared to the latest geo trends. I tried various stem lengths, but never felt at home on the Large and sold it. I wanted to buy an xl, but by then they were sold out. I may get an xl in the next batch.
My inseam is 34". For you at 32" I'd guess you'd be up against it standover wise on an xl, but if your torso / arms are that much longer then mine you may want the xl reach. I know that may cloud things further for you, but in summary if you're comfortable with having less clearance over the top tube I'd recommend XL with some short cranks. If you're okay with less reach go Large.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm wondering if I should be a medium or small. I've been riding the same 16.5 Trek 6000 26er hardtail since 1999 (I'm the original owner) and it's a small. I used to race BMX as a kid then did freestyle, I guess I'm partial to small bikes? I'm 5'7, 160lbs, pretty normal length arms.

About me in general, I'm a pretty hyper gym rat, doubles volleyball on sand or grass (6s indoor), have skied since '84 (I'm on pretty long fatties, 185cm)...I'm normally active. MTB hasn't been my #1 deal, but when I do ride, I'm aggressive and like to throw my bike around...I guess that's why I always liked my MTB more BMX-sized.

All this said, I just found a blue Fuse 27.5 in S and bought it. Going to pick it up this week. I look over the geometry and I see the Small and Medium geo is pretty darn close (reach 420 vs 440, chainstays both 430 (non adjustable on base). Wheelbase 1140 vs 1160 (front to center +20mm on Medium), stack same, top tube length 593 vs 613 (consistent with reach difference).

What do you guys think? I feel like being used to an old school size small 16.5 26er, coupled with a modern geo long reach + slacked/long wheelbase bike, plus the extra diameter/length of 27.5 wheels, a size small Fuse is gonna feel bigger/longer anyways. I've read of hardtail party (awesome youtube vids that I LOVE btw) riding a M at 5'6, then have watched other good reviews of 5'10+ guys liking the M. I'm thinking in my case the Small might be my preferred size. Oh, I wear inseam 30" jeans....

·
Registered
4 Posts
thanks for the replies Irish, Bond, and Red. I guess I'll have to just wait for bike shops to have them again to make the right decision. this will only be my second MTB and my first one was an entry-level that didn't fit me well at all. I don't want to make that mistake again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
thanks for the replies Irish, Bond, and Red. I guess I'll have to just wait for bike shops to have them again to make the right decision. this will only be my second MTB and my first one was an entry-level that didn't fit me well at all. I don't want to make that mistake again.
We're not going after the same size, but I think with this bike's new geo it's not a size up type at all. The reach and wheelbase numbers for any given size are pretty darn long compared to other brands trail hardtails, respective S, M, L, XL. A Chameleon is L reach is also 460mm, but the wheelbase is 1160, vs the Fuse at 1186 (full inch plus longer). HT 67.3 vs 66.5 for Fuse. Chainstays adjustable on the M4 Fuse so identical to the 415-430 on the Chameleon. Not the same tier IMO, but a Roscoe 8 for instance has a wheelbase of 1146, reach of 428 in a size L. In that bike for sure I'd say you're a XL. Fuse's geo is much more 'modern trail', like a Chameleon.

You sound like a tweener for L or XL, kind of like how I'm a tweener for S or M (I say I'm 5'8, but my wife says 5'7...she's probably right). I think you could ride either... stable downhill/little better climber with the XL, more manueverable/easier to throw around with the L. I'd say depends on what you value.

I'm gonna hop on a S 27.5+ and M Comp 29er on Thursday. I'll chime in what I feel, man.

·
Registered
3 Posts
We're not going after the same size, but I think with this bike's new geo it's not a size up type at all. The reach and wheelbase numbers for any given size are pretty darn long compared to other brands trail hardtails, respective S, M, L, XL. A Chameleon is L reach is also 460mm, but the wheelbase is 1160, vs the Fuse at 1186 (full inch plus longer). HT 67.3 vs 66.5 for Fuse. Chainstays adjustable on the M4 Fuse so identical to the 415-430 on the Chameleon. Not the same tier IMO, but a Roscoe 8 for instance has a wheelbase of 1146, reach of 428 in a size L. In that bike for sure I'd say you're a XL. Fuse's geo is much more 'modern trail', like a Chameleon.

You sound like a tweener for L or XL, kind of like how I'm a tweener for S or M (I say I'm 5'8, but my wife says 5'7...she's probably right). I think you could ride either... stable downhill/little better climber with the XL, more manueverable/easier to throw around with the L. I'd say depends on what you value.

I'm gonna hop on a S 27.5+ and M Comp 29er on Thursday. I'll chime in what I feel, man.
Update. I got a Fuse 27.5+ in medium today (matte black). Threw a leg over it, took it for a spin, loved it. I would say if you can, try a L first before deciding to look for an XL. It's a sweet bike..good luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
My fuse build

20200908_174250~2.jpg 20200908_174216~2-1.jpg

My 2020 fuse build
I have only about 30 miles of single track under her belt and this bike performs great.

2020 fuse frame
Deity copperhead 35mm stem with deity 35mm carbon bars and knuckle duster grips
Deity seat with carbon seat post
Ohlins rxf evo 36 fork 140mm
Spank oozy 350 wheelset with conti der baron v2 2.6 tires
Saint bb, xt cranks, wolf oval chain ring, xt shifter, xt derailleur.
Kmc chain
Garbaruk 10-52 cassette
Deity deftrap pedals
Hayes dominion brakes with 203 front and 180 rear

·
Registered
35 Posts
Medium

I got a medium 2020 frame and built up as a SS. Pretty fun bike and for an aluminum bike is fairly compliant.
23.36lbs with two cages and pedals

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I will end up upgrading the brakes and fork to a Pike, and there's lots of other places to drop weight as needed for a better performing bike.

How do you know which Pike to get? Which offset? You have the 27.5 model with a 42mm offset fork so do you choose the 27.5 (37 or 46mm offset) or the 29er (which also fits 27.5 plus tires).

·
Registered
135 Posts
I got a medium 2020 frame and built up as a SS. Pretty fun bike and for an aluminum bike is fairly compliant.
Looks like a fun bike. I have a 2020 XL fuse built up single speed, it’s the most fun I have had on a bike in decades. Mine comes in right at 27 lbs, I just love It.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Great looking bike! I am curious to see how you got the weight so low when other SS builds are still tipping 27lbs. What wheels, tires, fork, and other parts did you use? I don't have a Fuse, but am considering the Fuse and the Chameleon, and your build gives me hope about the weight of the Fuse. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Great looking bike! I am curious to see how you got the weight so low when other SS builds are still tipping 27lbs. What wheels, tires, fork, and other parts did you use? I don't have a Fuse, but am considering the Fuse and the Chameleon, and your build gives me hope about the weight of the Fuse. Thanks in advance.
Doesnt seem too hard to get it down that low. My 12 speed fuse comes in at 26lb 7oz. If I were to convert to ss id drop around 30oz which would make mine mid 24lb. Lighter wheel and tire combo would bring me into the 23lb range.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Doesnt seem too hard to get it down that low. My 12 speed fuse comes in at 26lb 7oz. If I were to convert to ss id drop around 30oz which would make mine mid 24lb. Lighter wheel and tire combo would bring me into the 23lb range.
Thanks. Perhaps it's the medium frame size, but I think I've seen L and XL frame stock builds coming in around 32lbs. Perhaps that was with last year's heavier fork, and the Fox Float and other changes have further reduced the weight of the stock build.

·
Registered
9 Posts
That I wouldnt be able to speak on. I did a frame up build (posted a little bit lower in this forum) the factory builds seem to be very overweight. The medium frame by itself was a little under 4.5lb i cant imagine a little more al tubing weighing very much, my guess would be a xl frame would come in at 5lb

·
Registered
212 Posts
That I wouldnt be able to speak on. I did a frame up build (posted a little bit lower in this forum)
Yes, I just saw your build. Very nice and great looking bike. I was expecting to see a rigid carbon fork and XC parts, but your build is SOLID. I would probably pick up a pound or two over your build, as mine would have 30mm 29" wheels, an XL frame, and a dropper post, and probably a few of the heavier parts on the stock build (cockpit, cranks, etc). Thanks again for your feedback and info.

261 - 280 of 307 Posts