Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
MTBR Mafia
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Snapped my frame on a 4 footer to flat in a concrete wash. had to have my dad help me rip my lip from my braces cause it was nearly through. My eyelids were bleeding, shoulder all messed up, but nothing permanent or even broken bones.

Attachments

·
Slowest Rider
5,237 Posts
Ouch!

Ohmygosh. That's gotta hurt. Good that the braces kept your teeth wired into your head where they belong. Glad to see nothing worse happened and you can still post. Don't do that again!

You'll be the first I've directly seen break a Heckler (which I also ride). You don't look big enough to break a Heckler, even on a 4' drop to flat. Where's the broken bike picture? Where'd the frame snap?

·
MTBR Mafia
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no i got the heckler after my old giant frame snapped. it was an ancient hardtail that i used for street riding. ill try to get pics. oh ya, it snapped near the headtube

·
Slowest Rider
5,237 Posts
Thanks for Bike Pic

Wow, the bike tubes look like they both simultaneously sheared off, not at a weld like I'd expect.

I gather this happened a while ago, which is why you're recovered enough to buy a new bike and do a post.

How did it happen? How about the rest of the story?

·
MTBR Mafia
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it happened probable a month ago and i was riding with my cousin around neihgborhoods just looking for stuff to mess around on (Drops,natural jumps, stairs, etc) so we found this was with that spikey concrete that comes up about a half inch to super sharp points. so i did some wall rides and just jumping in it and then i saw at the end was this drop that went from the desert preserve into the wash. so i did it and just as i landed i feel something snap, no noise just this feeling, then the next thing i know, my hands are down at my ankles with the handlebars and the concrete is getting offly close. next thing i remember is my cousing shaking me and my head hurting real bad. I got up and asked him if i needed stiches. him, being the 11 year old he is, was speechless. so i got out my camera phone, yes it comes in handy, and layed eyes on my mangled face. there was blood dripping from my eyelids and i could not spit the blood out fast enough that was in my mouth. i called up my dad and he drove to me. While waiting i tried to gt my lip off my braces but it was stuck. i mean i was yanking with two adrenaline pumped hands. My dad arrives and together we get my lip free and head to urgent care. the results come back that there are no broken bones or damage to my actual eyes. they did comment over and over that i was extremely lucky. So all i had were flesh wounds and two busted braces, not that bad. and i was healed and riding in 11 days ( i heel exeptionally quick).
So theres my story.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Glad you're okay. Now I keep thinking about what my mouth innards would feel like after pulling 'em off braces (I have had lacerations inside my mouth but not like that)...no, make that having someone else pull 'em off.

If it's okay by you I think I'll save your pix for the next time someone asks if it's okay to jump or huck a bike not built for the purpose...I sure hope you can't do that to a Heckler.

·
MTBR Mafia
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bikinfoolferlife said:
Glad you're okay. Now I keep thinking about what my mouth innards would feel like after pulling 'em off braces (I have had lacerations inside my mouth but not like that)...no, make that having someone else pull 'em off.

If it's okay by you I think I'll save your pix for the next time someone asks if it's okay to jump or huck a bike not built for the purpose...I sure hope you can't do that to a Heckler.
ya thats the reason i bought a heckler.

·
MTBR Mafia
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
sorry to here that...were you wearing a full face helmet?? or any helmet
no unfortunately no helmet at all. although i doubt anything but a full face would have helped. and i dont have the money for one right now.

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,010 Posts
cdub said:
no unfortunately no helmet at all. although i doubt anything but a full face would have helped. and i dont have the money for one right now.
you don't have the money for a helmet, but you do have the money for doctor bills....hmmm very interesting

·
MTBR Mafia
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
you don't have the money for a helmet, but you do have the money for doctor bills....hmmm very interesting
thats where my money went to. plus i already have a regular helmet so i think i will be fine if I wear it. which i have been now

·
Slowest Rider
5,237 Posts
cdub said:
thats where my money went to. plus i already have a regular helmet so i think i will be fine if I wear it. which i have been now
And I doubt the Heckler was free either. If you can find money for an expensive bike and doctor, you can get money for a full face helmet that you need for your big jump riding.

I always wear a good Giro Xen helmet, but your "after" picture makes me want to get a full face helmet now as I practice drops over 2-3'.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Lucky it wasn't worse!

Another reason to ride steel bikes.

·
DOWNHILL MAFIA
1,360 Posts
Some people need full face helmets even off their bikes because they're just so ignorant.

Here's some words of wisdom:

-Ride within your abilities.
-Ride within your equipment's capabilities.
-Ride with a HELMET!!

·
MTBR Mafia
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
BigLarry said:
And I doubt the Heckler was free either. If you can find money for an expensive bike and doctor, you can get money for a full face helmet that you need for your big jump riding.

I always wear a good Giro Xen helmet, but your "after" picture makes me want to get a full face helmet now as I practice drops over 2-3'.
I don't really think you need a full face for 3' drops. my buddies have done 14 foot drops with a tranny with regular helmets.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.