Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Loser
5,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday morning my wife informed me that I had spent too much time in the house and needed to get out for a ride. I work from home, and sometimes in the throws of work and house stuff the "getting out of the house" thing doesn't work out. If I don't stop to recognize that, I can start to get rather cantankerous. Nice of my wife to notice that and even nicer for her to understand that a ride will set me right. She was correct, yet again!

Incredibly, Unsprung had loaded his bike in the car the night before and was ready when I emailed him about a ride on his way home from work. I've ridden this place probably 500 times over the last 20 years (I did a quick calculation last night, that number is probably close), so I know every turn, rock and line through the place.

Near the end of the ride we're riding down this incredibly technical descent that I know like the back of my hand. At the bottom of the hill there's a rock ramp. While this ramp used to be really great for getting air, over the years the dirt around the bottom has worn away to the point where the part sticking above ground is bulbous and at a wicked angle. If you could get a ton of speed leading up to the ramp, maybe you could use the protrusion to push you high into the air, but you can't. The top of the rock only serves to pop your rear wheel upwards, meaning a somewhat unbalanced landing. As I know this going in, I expect it and adjust accordingly, though the landing is always sketchy.

As I lauch the rock this time I notice what appears to be a "new" 3 inch diameter sapling right in the middle of the landing zone. Its amazing how quickly your brain can work. I can't be in the air more than a half a second, but in that time I have a million thoughts centered around how a 3" diameter tree grew up in the middle of a trail since the last time I rode there 2 weeks ago? After ruminating on that for a bit, I start wondering how I'm going to land with that tree there...

I manage to get the bike a bit sideways, but its obvious that I'm not going to avoid the super fast growing tree. I extrapolate that, at a minimum, my left hand and handlebar are going to hit the tree trunk. I brace for the impact, expecting some serious carnage and pain.

As I hit the tree, the trunk pivots up over my head. I ride through it like its a turnstile on the subway. It turns out its a branch that broke off a tree that was somewhat suspended in the air by a nearby tree.

Just as I come to a stop and collect myself, I hear a scream from Unsprung, seems that the swinging tree was in mid-air while he came off the jump, just as he landed it swung right back in the middle of the trail. It surprised him probably worse than it did me, but no harm done.

We both had a good laugh. I had a good run of adrenaline there, and yeah, we pulled the branch down.

John

·
Registered
40 Posts
That's pretty darn funny. I once bent my seatpost back badly during what I thought was a recoverable near wreck, didn't realize how bad the s-post was bent back, and da*# near lost my chastity when I tried sitting back down.Afterward, I cried/whimpered a little and needed a new helmet

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.