Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been searching for previous threads on this bike, but can't find any. Does anyone have experience w/ this bike? Are there any threads out there I have been missing?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here is their website..... http://www.funkcycles.com/
I am looking for a little more info than their site offers....there are a few things that look really promising....weight being #1...also, it looks like you can run it SS w/o any chain tensioners/singleators...that would be cool.

·
Fossil
437 Posts
Binding rear shock?

Do my eyes deceive me, or does that rear shock looks like it wants to bind as the rear wheel travels up and down? It looks to me like the shock shaft is pinch-clamped into the rear triangle and thus there is no pivot point there. Something has to give to allow the rear triangle to travel, and it seems like that kind of stress on the shock would be tough on it in time. Thoughts?

·
The Duuude, man...
3,537 Posts
No biggie. If you remove a shock from a standard horst link and cycle the linkage through it's travel, you'd be shocked at how little that rear-ward pivot moves (the one at the rear axle area).

There is a pivot where the shock bolts to the fame, and the rest, on this short travel bike, is easily absorbed by Ti flex.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
kenai said:
I have been searching for previous threads on this bike, but can't find any. Does anyone have experience w/ this bike? Are there any threads out there I have been missing?
Mine has the swing link and stiffness or shock bind has not been an issue for me.

Attachments

·
conjoinicorned
3,525 Posts
those bikes are beautiful!

not to hijack...but how does that frame design do on technical terrain (ie. small drops, rock gardens etc.) is there durability issues compared to "normal" FS bikes?

i love the concept...

·
Fossil
437 Posts
jfkbike2 said:
Mine has the swing link and stiffness or shock bind has not been an issue for me.
Yeah, in your case that swing link on the shock shaft will force the Ti stays to flex a little, all the while keeping all the side loads away from your shock. Actually the swing link on my GF 293 does a similar thing to the CF/Al stays on it... makes them flex a little, that is.

I'd be curious to see what Fox says about side loads on their shocks on the versions where the shaft is pinch-bolted (w/o a second pivot). Maybe they're OK with it in this case.

With all that said, I do indeed like the simplicity of this bike... no pivot bearings to replace, no bushings to lube and tighten, etc. It really deserves its own shock valving too.

·
Registered
26 Posts
mtmiller,

I've got the latest version of the La Ruta. Actually, a prototype Daryl built for me a little different from the others. There is no binding of the shock as it pivots on the front attachment point sufficiently to make the suspension work. I get full travel out of my Fox RP23 rear shock, probably translates to about 3 inches. No problems what so ever after about 500 miles. Just gets better. Better then my Asylum and way better then my Fisher 292.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
surfk9 said:
mtmiller,

I've got the latest version of the La Ruta. Actually, a prototype Daryl built for me a little different from the others. There is no binding of the shock as it pivots on the front attachment point sufficiently to make the suspension work. I get full travel out of my Fox RP23 rear shock, probably translates to about 3 inches. No problems what so ever after about 500 miles. Just gets better. Better then my Asylum and way better then my Fisher 292.
Useless without pictures. ;)

·
Registered
26 Posts
I knew that would be coming. Unfortunaltely I tried to upload some photos but the files were to big and wouldn't go. If I can get a smaller file I'll post some pics. Any one know how as I'm somewhat computer dumb. Old age you know.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Quick La Ruta Up-date

Just saw this thread, so here is a short/quick up-date on my La Ruta

Has been used about 300 hours on trails in CO, TX, NM, AZ, KS, (and a few days ago did the 23 mile Flume loop trail in Tahoe area for the 1st time, now that's a classic MTB trail!!)

Maintenance to shock so far - absolutely none, I check the air once in a while and that's it so far, there is a small amount of oil weep, but the 'amount' of oil weep has not increased from day one

Rear Pivot - perfect, same as day one!!!!!!

Over all handling -
Down Hill:
I really really like what it does on down hill drops, rocks, ruts etc, I "ride" more obstacles (and faster) than I ever did on any of my other bikes!!

Flat and Rolling:
I also like the way the 29 wheels roll over 'stuff' and through the dips and washes, my set up makes a stable fun "desert sled"

Up hill:
Not perfect here, did not get the geometry quite right, there is a bit of front wheel "flop" that I notice at slow speeds, however the rear end almost never breaks loose on the steep stuff before my lungs/legs give up

Tight and twisty:
Not as good here as other bikes I have had (see up hill comments) but most of my rides are not tight/twisty woods rides so….

Overall I an pleased with the frame, If I had to do it over (ie a XC frame) I would make a few minor geometry changes but would buy another La Ruta before any other XC frame I can think of

Picture 1: current set up
Picture 2: shock after many rides, zero problems so far

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts