Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 175 Posts

·
Thumbs Up!
759 Posts
I feel for you. I have walked my bike many miles at the Wis due to a flat or something minor, but that sucks. I hope your OK and that you have available warranty on that frame.

·
Registered
147 Posts
The Wiss is definitely hungry for bike parts these days, with conditions similar to back in the late 90's: tons of loose rocks, ravines, ditches and sharp rocks protruding in the lines... Blew out a couple rear tires lately and had to make trail side repairs, duct taping the holes from the inside of the tire...

Heard a funny recent quote: " The Wiss is the worlds best urban drainage ditch."

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Wiss is definitely hungry for bike parts these days, with conditions similar to back in the late 90's: tons of loose rocks, ravines, ditches and sharp rocks protruding in the lines... Blew out a couple rear tires lately and had to make trail side repairs, duct taping the holes from the inside of the tire...

Heard a funny recent quote: " The Wiss is the worlds best urban drainage ditch."
I wouldn't say the Wiss is the cause of the broken frame. It was a defect.

I honestly don't understand why people make the wiss out to be such a difficult and intense ride. I've been riding my single speed dirt jumper (i.e. hardtail with a 100 mm fork) just fine.

·
You Guys Riding?
643 Posts

Ha! :thumbsup:

The Wiss = frame destroyer. My bike is the perfect example

·
Registered
349 Posts
I wouldn't say the Wiss is the cause of the broken frame. It was a defect.

I honestly don't understand why people make the wiss out to be such a difficult and intense ride. I've been riding my single speed dirt jumper (i.e. hardtail with a 100 mm fork) just fine.
Its because you're used to it.

Think back to your first few rides down in there. Unless your regular ride is Rothrock or somewhere else outside of SE PA there isn't much more technical trail than the Wiss. Combine that with variable conditions everytime it rains: loose rock, sharp rock, sand, mud, roots, drainage ruts, off camber sections, steep drops, steep climbs, broken glass, unleased dogs, an attempted rapist, killer trees (litterally- a branch fell on some poor girl jogging and killed her), angry hikers with the stink eye for bikers, angry ***** on horse back with a stink eye for everybody, and other assorted weirdos wandering the trails, you've got yourself an intimidating place to ride for the uninitiated suburbanite who normally rides State Parks full of butterflies, rainbows and puppy dogs with no worries about someone breaking into their hybrid SUV everytime they park in one of the main lots..

·
Registered
11 Posts
What kind of frame is that? Unless you're taking 20ft drops, I really don't see how the Wiss will do that to your bike. I hope some sort of warranty will cover it so you can continue thrashing through Philly's jungle soon. Goodluck!

·
Banned
1,333 Posts
broken glass, unleased dogs, an attempted rapist, killer trees (litterally- a branch fell on some poor girl jogging and killed her), angry hikers with the stink eye for bikers, angry ***** on horse back with a stink eye for everybody, and other assorted weirdos wandering the trails, you've got yourself an intimidating place to ride for the uninitiated suburbanite who normally rides State Parks full of butterflies, rainbows and puppy dogs with no worries about someone breaking into their hybrid SUV everytime they park in one of the main lots..
--Aint that the truth... Last year this fool was letting his dog bite everyone there also.. I had somethin' for him (but never ran into him at that spot).. It was documented on PMBA...

·
Nickel Havr
1,177 Posts
--Aint that the truth... Last year this fool was letting his dog bite everyone there also.. I had somethin' for him (but never ran into him at that spot).. It was documented on PMBA...
Great... You guys make The Wiss sound like Detroit!
I'm riding there tomorrow... I think I'll have to bring some protection!

Any suggestions for loops or where to park?

·
Registered
349 Posts
depends on where you are coming from, but Janette Lane trail head is a good spot - never heard any problems there or any of the trail heads in the Rox neighborhoods are ok. The locals don't seem to tollerate people breaking into cars around there.

·
West Chester, PA
5,009 Posts
Great... You guys make The Wiss sound like Detroit!
I'm riding there tomorrow... I think I'll have to bring some protection!

Any suggestions for loops or where to park?
It is a little weird there sometimes. Not uncommon to see crack heads wandering the trails. I have a small knife within easy reach at all times, its clipped to my camelback strap.

Great day yesterday... lots of riders out there but very few walkers and runners.

·
Nickel Havr
1,177 Posts
It is a little weird there sometimes. Not uncommon to see crack heads wandering the trails. I have a small knife within easy reach at all times, its clipped to my camelback strap.

Great day yesterday... lots of riders out there but very few walkers and runners.
Yeah I saw some strange people there yesterday...
I carry a medium sized knife in my CamelBak... But I also brought my Walther PPS .40 just in case! :thumbsup:

I saw TONS of runners in the morning... Mostly cute college girls running in large groups. :D

I have to say though... I wasn't really impressed with the trail system.
It was a nice set-up... Well maintained and everything.
But just not suited to my style of riding!

Everyone says the Wiss is super technical... But I thought it was just as smooth as White Clay.
I'm used to riding in super huge rock gardens in French Creek and Bear Creek! :eekster:

1 - 20 of 175 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.