Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Huckin' trails
6,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

After lurking at Ti and aluminum and other lightweight/blingy parts, I wonder to myself of much it cost to swap all the hardware and bolts on your bike for Ti, alu and carbon ? And how much weight do you save ?

I'm not talking into seat post, bars, rotors, etc, but about mounting hardware and bolts... I know those colorful anodized bolts and hardware are super nice, but I can't stop asking myself how much money people would spend on it and how much weight they'll saved and if it's really worth it (well, should be worth it, no ?).

Thanks,

David

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
For weights see my thread here. http://forums.mtbr.com/weight-weenies/bolt-weights-698960.html
For prices on Ti & Alum. bolts go to torontocycles.com.
If your bolt tuning with Ti, Alum, & nylon bolts pricing isn't to bad if your down to the last weight savings you can do on the bike.
If your bolt tuning with carbon bolts thats a whole other ball game @ approx. $12.00 per
M5X20mm bolt.:eekster:

·
"They Call Me Bone'z"
1,609 Posts
nice post on weights. i did ti suspension bolts on my old frame lost almost 100g(1/4lb ish..) so you can loose a bit of weight.
but its all for looks, lots of matching ano. Al bolts tie it all together :thumbsup:

·
Huckin' trails
6,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did had a look to TorontoCycle store already... That's why I was wondering how much money you have to spend to get a full Ti/alu/carbon hardware overhaul... More then $300 easy I guess... And way more I'll ever spend (although I would like to have that money to pimp my ride too)...

And is it like a normal upgrade for you or it is the most expensive one ?

David

·
Huckin' trails
6,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pretty typical to save 50-75gms and spend about $3/gm doing it. Usually only worth the effort if you're weenied out all the big pieces first, no point buying a bunch of Ti or alloy bolts if you still have 1600gm wheels.
I think each of my wheels weight about that on my freeride pig :p

And it seems pretty expensive... At least it's only $5 for shipping :D

David

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.