Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there,

I'm tired of getting rattled around on my hard tail and am looking for a full suspension bike. I'm looking for a bike that will climb well, that handles the down hills well and that will last. I'm more of a xc than a hucker (ok, so jumps intimidate me). Yeah, I know - aint that what everyone wants?

So far I've looked at the Spec Stumpjumper Comp, Giant NRS, Giant Trance and a few others and I can't quite decide. The Stump sounds great, but many of my buds have had maintenance nightmares with their Specialized's so I'm hesitant to go with them (I'd rather ride than fix my bike). Whatever I get, I'm hoping it will last 10 years, like my old Kona did.

Price range is between $1,800 - $2300 CAD, so the Blur is out. Any thoughts? Ideas?

Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
204 Posts
ug.. exchange rate... give me a few to figure out what that would be in real money...

ok... We are talking about a MAX of $1,880.50 in US funds.

Allrighty... That is some nice coin - do you mind upgrading a part at a time? Can you deal with deore / LX componentry on a sweet frame for a few months till you can save up the jack for a XT rear der.? Is this the end all to your bike spending for the next year or more?

If it were me.....

I would get a sweet frame fork shock and brakes. Then go with some lower end bits that you can upgrade as you go......

more to come....

Options...
hollowpoint

04 superlight

Here you go mano.. here comes the hook up!

mountain cycle zen $1700

Kickass XC bike XT components and just 89$ to upgrade the brakes to julies. And you, my friend, will have the only one around.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
My brother and I just faced the same upgrade issue when he decided to get rid of his hardtail. We decided on a Turner Burner frame from Supergo, with a nice build kit from Price Point and a Reba from AEBikes. He now has a great all around bike that is light enough to race. Really don't think there is a better deal out there, although I'm not sure what size Burner frames are left.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,494 Posts
char said:
Hey there,

I'm tired of getting rattled around on my hard tail and am looking for a full suspension bike. I'm looking for a bike that will climb well, that handles the down hills well and that will last. I'm more of a xc than a hucker (ok, so jumps intimidate me). Yeah, I know - aint that what everyone wants?

So far I've looked at the Spec Stumpjumper Comp, Giant NRS, Giant Trance and a few others and I can't quite decide. The Stump sounds great, but many of my buds have had maintenance nightmares with their Specialized's so I'm hesitant to go with them (I'd rather ride than fix my bike). Whatever I get, I'm hoping it will last 10 years, like my old Kona did.

Price range is between $1,800 - $2300 CAD, so the Blur is out. Any thoughts? Ideas?

Thanks!
In that price range you can get last years or maybe this years Kona Dawg which is a all mountain bike that can climb and can take a beating on the dh part of a xc loop. Bow cycle in Calgary is selling the Dawg for around $1600.00 right now on their hotdeals part of the website. (the Dawg is one step up from the Dawgmatic) At that price you could up grade some components and still have a bike that costs under your price limit. Most shops right now are offering a discount on last years bikes to make room for the 05 models so I would look around and find the best deal.

I would also consider used bikes, as there is some good deals to be had on some nice trailbikes that are in mint or near mint condition. Check out pinkbike and bowcycle for used bikes. Bikes like the Heckler, Superlight, Blur and other quality trailbikes show up quite often on these sites.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
398 Posts
JCGrech said:
My brother and I just faced the same upgrade issue when he decided to get rid of his hardtail. We decided on a Turner Burner frame from Supergo, with a nice build kit from Price Point and a Reba from AEBikes. He now has a great all around bike that is light enough to race. Really don't think there is a better deal out there, although I'm not sure what size Burner frames are left.
Superho doesn't have them up on the website anymore, do you know if any location have any left?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,994 Posts
Can you use the componets off your old ride?

char said:
Hey there,

I'm tired of getting rattled around on my hard tail and am looking for a full suspension bike. I'm looking for a bike that will climb well, that handles the down hills well and that will last. I'm more of a xc than a hucker (ok, so jumps intimidate me). Yeah, I know - aint that what everyone wants?

So far I've looked at the Spec Stumpjumper Comp, Giant NRS, Giant Trance and a few others and I can't quite decide. The Stump sounds great, but many of my buds have had maintenance nightmares with their Specialized's so I'm hesitant to go with them (I'd rather ride than fix my bike). Whatever I get, I'm hoping it will last 10 years, like my old Kona did.

Price range is between $1,800 - $2300 CAD, so the Blur is out. Any thoughts? Ideas?

Thanks!
I've also been thinking about adding an XC FS to my collection, for me XC is the key word, I don't care about air for airs sake, I just want to get from point A to point B (uphill and downhill) as fast as possible. Here is the list of frames I'm considering, in order of preference.

S-works Epic
Titus Racer X 80
Intense Spyder
Santa Cruz Superlight
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
Bike Nazi said:
I've also been thinking about adding an XC FS to my collection, for me XC is the key word, I don't care about air for airs sake, I just want to get from point A to point B (uphill and downhill) as fast as possible. Here is the list of frames I'm considering, in order of preference.

S-works Epic
Titus Racer X 80
Intense Spyder
Santa Cruz Superlight
Interesting......I'm facing the same choices.........what do you consider the pro's/con's of the Epic vs. the Superlight, and why Epic and not the FSR, and why the Superlight and not the Blur???
Thanks in anticipation
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Info

Hey thanks for all the beta! Last night I rode the Giant Trance, the Trek Liquid and the Cannondale Prophet. I like the Trance and the Prophet alot - they are fairly plush. I especially thought the Prophet has a good design from a maintenance perspective - Avid mechanical disc brakes and Single Pivot suspension make it simpler to maintain.

But now I am kind of looking at this whole buying thing from a different perspective.

Alot of buds bought FS about 5 years ago and they now have switched from fairly plush bikes (FSR, Trek Y, etc) to lightweight FS (NRS, Superlight). So, it kind of makes me wonder - should I get a bike that is more plush at say 28-30 lbs (Prophet, FSR), or would I be better off with a lighter bike with stiffer suspension (NRS)?

So, that is today's question - for a first time FS bike (after riding a hardtail for 15 years), is it better to add a couple of lbs and get a little more plush, or go stiffer and lighter?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,494 Posts
It depends on the type of riding

char said:
Hey thanks for all the beta! Last night I rode the Giant Trance, the Trek Liquid and the Cannondale Prophet. I like the Trance and the Prophet alot - they are fairly plush. I especially thought the Prophet has a good design from a maintenance perspective - Avid mechanical disc brakes and Single Pivot suspension make it simpler to maintain.

But now I am kind of looking at this whole buying thing from a different perspective.

Alot of buds bought FS about 5 years ago and they now have switched from fairly plush bikes (FSR, Trek Y, etc) to lightweight FS (NRS, Superlight). So, it kind of makes me wonder - should I get a bike that is more plush at say 28-30 lbs (Prophet, FSR), or would I be better off with a lighter bike with stiffer suspension (NRS)?

So, that is today's question - for a first time FS bike (after riding a hardtail for 15 years), is it better to add a couple of lbs and get a little more plush, or go stiffer and lighter?
that you want to do. If you want to push the limits, pick harder lines, and ride really technical terrain then a Prophet is a good choice. A bike like the Prophet will be more forgiving and fun on the technical portion of a ride, but will not be quite as quick up the hill as a lighter NRS or Superlight. At the end of a long epic you will not be as beat up on a Prophet as compared to a NRS.

If you are really involved in the xc/efficiency sect I would go with less travel and more of a xc platform. It also depends on who you are going to be riding with. If all of your buddies are riding 26lb xc full suspension or hardtails it may be hard to stay with the pack on long climbs.

I actually find it interesting that with age your friends have gone to less travel instead of more. It is usually the opposite when we get older.

One thing to also consider is that to get a plush ride you dont really need to have 6" of suspension in the front and rear. Bikes like the Blur, Dawg, SJ, and Superlight all have 5" or less travel and still soak up the bumps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
454 Posts
What about staying with the old reliable Kona?

Have you considered the Kikapu Delux? More of a true XC than a Dawg. Four inches of travel front and rear. Not the lightest in the class but you said you wanted it to last. You also want a bike that will tackle downhills. I think the 68.5 head angle on the Kikapu would make an excellent downhiller. Decent Hayes hydraulics and an XT rear derailer. Nothing real fancy but a good solid performer and the price is at $1700 USD so it fits in your budget. Oh and Kona made a change in the color scheme. Instead of that hideous creme the frame is red up front with a silver rear triangle. I would give it a serious look if you already had a good experience with one.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,994 Posts
Epic seems to be

Maxx said:
Interesting......I'm facing the same choices.........what do you consider the pro's/con's of the Epic vs. the Superlight, and why Epic and not the FSR, and why the Superlight and not the Blur???
Thanks in anticipation
the purist of the XC FS racing frames, even though I've never road one, I imagine it is the least plush of the four but the fastest overall if you count the uphill.

Superlight seems to be the oldest technology yet still light and with todays new rear shocks, 5th Element or RP3 maybe a good uphill and downhill machine and the best dollar value out of the 4.

The new Stump Jumpers and Blur seem equally matched and probably the best all arounder bikes money can buy but a little sloppy and long (wheelbase) for the XC ride I'm looking for.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
Hi there. I just bought a dawg last year, i love my bike but it more suits my style of riding, more of a 3 to 4 hour ride, enduro style bike...for xc it is a little on the heavy side, it is built to be comfy on long rides and take some hits..kikapu is lighter, and has decent components on the kona side may be a better choice for true xc rides.
When test rode bikes i chose the Kona just on the feel, i had the best feel from the Kona and i guess that is the ultimate breaking point...ride them...see how they feel and go from there..good luck! J
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top