Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having ridden solely longer travel trail and enduro bikes this year I wanted to get an XC bike for my more tame local trails and do a couple XC races. I had purchased a left over Intense Sniper Trail which with the biggest volume spacer and highest psi possible wasn’t even close to working for me. I had an opportunity to trade it back into the shop I got it from that a friend owns and with the bike shortage my only option was a Yeti Arc. More of a trail bike geometry and front travel wise but I’ve been about to install a 34 Step cast at 120mm to lower it down a little. I had the seat clamps come loose on the 2021 Fox Transfer first ride but I torqued them down and hadn’t had a problem for 60 miles so figured I was ok. Well I did my first race yesterday and a couple miles to go the seat comes loose and is just about falling off and at the finish line snapped clean off. So it appears my weight is too much for the hardtail as all my weight goes right into the seat which can’t handle it. A tall order but does anyone have an XC bike or even a 120-130mm light trail bike that’s worked for a 260ish weight range? In a tough position to ride aggressively at my weight so far and right now have a practically brand new bike with the seat clamps broken in half which are on backorder for who knows how long now so I can’t ride it.

·
Registered
217 Posts
You’ll want something with a low leverage ratio curve that runs a High pressure air can.

I honestly don’t know of any off the top of my head, but your bike shop buddy may be able to help.

I’m 260 as well and my Ripmo is great. I’m literally maxing out the shock psi though just to get the sag right.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
I weigh 255, just got an sb115 that I really love for the tamer trails so far. I even added some volume spacers front and rear and am able to run the suspension a little below max pressure, which never happens to me. The yeti has taken everything I throw at it and is very fun to ride.

I had a superfly fs for a few years before the yeti as my xc and it was pretty noodly and fragile. I don't think full on xc bikes work as well for big riders but I demoed a few of the new hardcore xc/short travel trail bikes that have come out (tallboy, pivot 429 and the sb115) and I suspect you'd be fine with any of them. Big thing is if you can find any of those kinds of bikes in your budget right now.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I love Yeti so the 115 would be my hope but finding a Large or XL right now in the build I want is tough. Side note if anyone has an upper 7mm clamp for a 2021 FOX Transfer I could be saved a couple months of riding lol they're sold out everywhere.

·
Registered
243 Posts
6’2” 250lbs and XC racer. Previously rode Niner Jet 9 RDO that handled my weight perfectly. Warranty claim (not related to my weight) has me bike-less for 7 months. So picked up a Santa Cruz Tallboy and while it does require more shock tweaking, handles for larger frames. Both are awesome bikes.
Once I get my Niner back, interested in checking it out? I’m in Southeast MA

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
6’2” 250lbs and XC racer. Previously rode Niner Jet 9 RDO that handled my weight perfectly. Warranty claim (not related to my weight) has me bike-less for 7 months. So picked up a Santa Cruz Tallboy and while it does require more shock tweaking, handles for larger frames. Both are awesome bikes.
Once I get my Niner back, interested in checking it out? I’m in Southeast MA
Did you need the shock tunes or just playing with volume spacers and pressure? And sure I've never ridden a Niner, I live in Westport but work in Plymouth so I ride Massasoit, Duxbury, Pine Hills, and Myles Standish a lot

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been riding a Giant Anthem (2014 I think) for a good while now. Finally headed back down my peak in the 270s below getting to ride more. It's taken everything I've thrown at it in eastern TN and midwest riding. I've totally been the weak link in the setup, so ymmv.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I have an alu Guerilla Gravity Trail Pistol set up for more pedal than gnar. MRP Ribbon Air on the front and a custom tuned Bomber coil from Avalanche Racing. They set it up to my requirements - more pedal than gravity - and it's so much better than any air can I've had on a bike. Very supportive, but there when I really need it. We're bigger and heavier and bikes aren't designed for us. It's a bit more burly than an off the shelf XC bike but it's lasting and it's fun.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts