Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sauser destroyed the field using a full suspension rig (26 inch from what I could tell).

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=tech/2008/features/mtbworlds08

From what I could see on the webcast, the course did have a very technical decent, but 80% of the course looked pretty buffed.

This is always a heavily debated topic here and I am sure this is not the final word. I am not saying he won over all those hardtails because he was on a double squish, but it certainly did not hold him back.

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
He was on an Epic which automatically locks out until it hits a bump, both front and rear.

Don't know what his bike weighs but I'm sure it's well under 25 #

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
zrm said:
He was on an Epic which automatically locks out until it hits a bump, both front and rear.

Don't know what his bike weighs but I'm sure it's well under 25 #
there isn't a bike at the world cup near 25 lbs, let alone Sauser who is a WW. it was probably under 20 lbs.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Saucer now has the '09 Epic. The new frame and shock set-up shaves 1.5 lbs off the '08. The new Specialized fork saves another 0.5 lbs off the Fox F100, but Saucer was using a light prototype DT fork anyway. His new bike should be under 18.5 lbs. I'm a little bummed; I busted my bike budget for the next few years on an '08 S-Works Epic and now the drop 2 lbs with the '09?

·
Registered
83 Posts
stillhardtailing said:
Saucer now has the '09 Epic. The new frame and shock set-up shaves 1.5 lbs off the '08. The new Specialized fork saves another 0.5 lbs off the Fox F100, but Saucer was using a light prototype DT fork anyway. His new bike should be under 18.5 lbs. I'm a little bummed; I busted my bike budget for the next few years on an '08 S-Works Epic and now the drop 2 lbs with the '09?
He used the new Specialized Brain fork, not a dt swiss prototype to win worlds.

·
Banned
2,100 Posts
Its good to see it only took specialized 2 or 3 years

to finally make him a bike that could be comparable to the last generation scalpel that he used to win everything on. The new scalpel ultra is under 19lbs out of the box(18.5lbs). Maybe in 2-3 more years, specialized will catch up again.

·
Registered
86 Posts
He destroyed the field with his legs....maybe the bike helped, and it is a sweet ride but he probably would have won riding my 25 lb Gary Fisher Sugar.

·
Registered
8,021 Posts
Ask him what he would ride if Specialized didn't make him race an Epic.

Anybody else notice that when the Chinese switched from Specialized to Orbea they went with hard tails. The Oiz is a nice dually too, at 4.3 pounds for the frame as light as any other dually out there.

Incidently the only top level women on dually in Byberg and this because she has to race one. The women seem to be a lot more reluctant to race duallies then their male counter parts.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I understand what you are saying

LMN said:
Ask him what he would ride if Specialized didn't make him race an Epic.

Anybody else notice that when the Chinese switched from Specialized to Orbea they went with hard tails. The Oiz is a nice dually too, at 4.3 pounds for the frame as light as any other dually out there.

Incidently the only top level women on dually in Byberg and this because she has to race one. The women seem to be a lot more reluctant to race duallies then their male counter parts.
Based on what I could see in the webcast, there really would be no advantage to a full suspension bike for the pros on that worlds course, it just seemed really buffed on the flat sections and most of the climbs. Even though the steep descent was pretty knarly looking, the top level guys on hardtails did it very smoothly. I noticed from the pics that even Adam Craig went with a hardtail over over the anthem.

But if the full suspension design was really that bad, I just don't think Sauser could have ripped everyone (including Absolon) a new one, especially on that course.

·
Registered
914 Posts
LMN said:
The women seem to be a lot more reluctant to race duallies then their male counter parts.
Even with men, huge majority is still on HT.
At least in my opinion, Sauser won WCH because of his form not because of bike, and Absolon lost it because of his current form, not because of riding HT :)

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
primoz said:
Even with men, huge majority is still on HT.
At least in my opinion, Sauser won WCH because of his form not because of bike, and Absolon lost it because of his current form, not because of riding HT :)
If you win a world cup it is becasue you, out thought, out trained, out rode every one in the world...

Sauser picked the FS, with his light bulb on, and somebody home.

Deal with it.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.