Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is wheeliing and Bunny Hopping that much harder on the full suspension?Is urabn really that much worse on a full suspension?If I do 70%freeride,10% dirtjumping,10%downhilling,5%trailriding,and 5% urban is it worth it do give up the freeriding,downhilling,and trailriding abilities of a full suspension for a hardtail?OOr should i go with a hardtail?

·
i should be working
532 Posts
get a freeride bike (%70), then save and get a DJ (%10), then a trail bike.....

all around bikes suck at everything. you can do urban on a FS but about the only things you'll be doing is clearing huge stair gaps and doing drops. 180's, riding fakie and park riding, forget about it. there might be some people who say you can still do it but thats bull. you'll be so much better off on a hardtail for urban. unless you're clearing monster thiple sets of stairs and need a FS.

as for bunnyhopping and wheelies; wheelies you get used to on any bike so no compromise there. FS bikes are harder to hop, but with a little suspension tuning it can be done.

·
Registered
303 Posts
You can do quite a bit of freeriding on a hardtail. It depends on (just to name a few) your style, height of the hucks and your budget. I do many of the same drops and technical riding with my hardtail as my downhill rig. The biggest drop on my hardtail is around 7 feet onto flat.

You can go to the mountains and downhill on a hardtail, but your speed will be greatly reduced. Wear and tear on the bike is now important. Aside the cost of frames, you will most likely break the same components on a full suspension as a hardtail.

A full suspension bike (6 inch travel) may give you the confidence to ride bigger stuff and build your technical riding skills faster. Full suspensions are more forgiving if you huck something and do not quite land right. Hardtail bikes will require more riding technique and style.

In short, hardtail bikes are cheaper to maintain, but full suspension give you that confidence to take it to the next level.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I second all of that...one bike cannot do it all.

For the longest time I had 2 bikes.
1) full suspension rig
1) hard tail rig

There are a lot of "hard core" hardtail guys who do everything on one bike but very few who can do every thing on a full suspension bike.

If 70% of your riding is Freeride then the answer is simple.
Go Full suspension.

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
freeriderizzle said:
I second all of that...one bike cannot do it all.

For the longest time I had 2 bikes.
1) full suspension rig
1) hard tail rig

There are a lot of "hard core" hardtail guys who do everything on one bike but very few who can do every thing on a full suspension bike.

If 70% of your riding is Freeride then the answer is simple.
Go Full suspension.
Word. When you have a V10 as your only real bike it sort of makes you want more. :p

Ironically enough my bikes go from one extreme to another. V10 for dh/racing/mega hardcore stuff and then a fully RIGID titan for dj/park/urban/pimpin around. :D I think a lot of bike choosing is about preference and what you feel you want to be pedalling around on when you're out there, just go try out some hardtails and full suspensiobn bikes whehter they be your friends or a demo from a shop. Find what you like and stick to it. :)

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
depierre said:
Is wheeliing and Bunny Hopping that much harder on the full suspension?Is urabn really that much worse on a full suspension?If I do 70%freeride,10% dirtjumping,10%downhilling,5%trailriding,and 5% urban is it worth it do give up the freeriding,downhilling,and trailriding abilities of a full suspension for a hardtail?OOr should i go with a hardtail?
i do everything on my fully stinky: 40% dj, 20% urban, 10% dh, and 30% fr (ht soon to come :D)

i can tune the shock for dj and urban but its definately harder to whip around and stuff compared to a smaller ht. i can still manual and bunny hop pretty good although a ht is a bit easier

i think if u do all of that in the percentages u stated, then its probably wiser to go full suspension. 85% of the things u do would be better on a fully cuz ull have more confidence and less body soreness. u can still dj and go urban if u dont go too big on the travel

·
Banned
1,608 Posts
COmtbiker12 said:
Word. When you have a V10 as your only real bike it sort of makes you want more. :p

Ironically enough my bikes go from one extreme to another. V10 for dh/racing/mega hardcore stuff and then a fully RIGID titan for dj/park/urban/pimpin around. :D I think a lot of bike choosing is about preference and what you feel you want to be pedalling around on when you're out there, just go try out some hardtails and full suspensiobn bikes whehter they be your friends or a demo from a shop. Find what you like and stick to it. :)
Hey Tony...
so u have a Titan !
I just bought that frame to build my firt HT... can u post a pic of urs...

Txs.

·
Registered
228 Posts
This depends on were you live also, do you want a good pedaling bike, or do you want the comfort of a FS? I live in Ontario and it is fairly flat here so I ride a hardtail, pedaling around a 6 inch travel bike would just be a waste of money and energy. If you live in BC type train then go with a fully unless you want a good pedaler. I would just go try some out, you will find if your a good smooth rider that you can land almost anythign on a hardtail.

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
VIA said:
Hey Tony...
so u have a Titan !
I just bought that frame to build my firt HT... can u post a pic of urs...

Txs.
Sure thing dude.

How's yours gonna be built? Mine now has a e.13 SRS on it but otherwise same as in pic.

·
Banned
1,608 Posts
COmtbiker12 said:
Sure thing dude.

How's yours gonna be built? Mine now has a e.13 SRS on it but otherwise same as in pic.
I got another DH-3 wich I gonna custom the travel to 6", some Bombshell 26/24 wheels from Matt ;) , dual Gazzy 3.0 , 9sp. LX/105 , Azonic 454 DH crank with single ring 38t. and I got a deal on some new Formula 4 Race brakes so let's see how that gos...
Oh.. everything is gonna be flat black painted by ME :eek:

BTW.. Thanks for the pic.. nice fully rig...
IS that the 18" ?

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
VIA said:
I got another DH-3 wich I gonna custom the travel to 6", some Bombshell 26/24 wheels from Matt ;) , dual Gazzy 3.0 , 9sp. LX/105 , Azonic 454 DH crank with single ring 38t. and I got a deal on some new Formula 4 Race brakes so let's see how that gos...
Oh.. everything is gonna be flat black painted by ME :eek:

BTW.. Thanks for the pic.. nice fully rig...
IS that the 18" ?
Yep its the 18" I like it. :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.