Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 164 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know, I know, singles are supposed to be rigid and painful but I have an idea anyway. Has anyone ever heard of or tried out a single with a suspension? maybe like 5" of travel. I know their are inherent problems with the chain but what about designs that pivot around the bottom bracket shell? Could you use a bike with this design, add an old derailer to hold a little extra chain and make it work? I'm getting a little sick of adjusting the tranny on my all mountain bike and often take my single out just for simplicities sake.
Thoughts?

·
Hoopy Frood
255 Posts
Kona A

Kona makes a full-suspension singlespeed frame: the "A'

Kona Frame Shop

You could convert a full suspension bike but you do need to use a tensioning device which can adjust for the chain slack as a result of the suspension movement's effect on chain length. An old derailleur would work fine.

·
75% Mountain cycle
331 Posts
A search should yield some pics

Do a search, this topic has come up a fair bit. It's a cool idea I've often thought about. I've see FS Kelin Mantra SS's, Catamount SS's, lot's of softail pivotless designs, and others. Mostly have URT or pivot around the BB. Pedal bob will be your worst enemy on a SS so look at a stable platform shock if you do a convert or a Kona A.

If you convert a regular FS bike, you'll not only need a tensioner but I'd suggest something like chain guides to keep the chain on the rings. (sandwich them)

Below is a convert I did last year with an old derailleur as a tensioner but I lost the chain on every rocky descent. I shortend the chain and I came up with some chain guides to sandwich the rear cog and front derailleur and it worked great. I hated the chain slap though. If I had a load of cash - I'd do one of the DEAN Ace frames with the pivot aroud the BB.

Attachments

·
Something goes here...
2,055 Posts
Here's mine. I've been riding it for only a few weeks now. I swapped the fork with a Marz Marathon S and it's much nicer. A better balance b/c I can make it a little more stiff to make up for the bob. I have a lock out on the rear shock so when climbing I just use that. I've also shortened the chain by a couple of links and it seems to be holding better of late. Once I get a non-ramped front ring, I think all will be well.

There are other more detailed pics somewhere on this board too.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Been there

My old full suspension SS. I converted a GT i-drive to SS, and turned the rotating BB into an EBB by removing the suspension link, so no tensioner was ever needed. Eventually the frame cracked and I bought a Unit.

{other picutres somewhere in the archives}

Attachments

·
Devolution is real!
477 Posts
PACMAN.............
Holly crap I am in love with that GT full suspension....I never really got how that I drive stuff worked but I love the look of that GT. Where did the frame crack? Please post some more pics of it. Lets turn this thread into a full suspension pic thread. I also love the pro-flex, there is something so unique about a FS SS.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Wax said:
I know, I know, singles are supposed to be rigid and painful...
You are mis-informed. Rigid does not necessarily mean painful and singlespeeds do not have to be either.

·
What day are we riding?
1,088 Posts
I used to have two Schwinn Homegrown FS singlespeed bikes - URT design. They worked great.

Now I have a Lenzsport that uses the concentric bottom bracket pivot point.

Attachments

·
Formerly DMR For Life
989 Posts
correct me if i'm wrong but they used to make (unless they are still making 05's)...no A for 2006 at least not as a frame alone...and doesn't look like as a fully assembled either
DMR

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
One of my aims for 2006 is pull a FS SS out of the bag. At this stage I'll probably end up doing a very unfashionable steel URT.

Well, someone has to do it now that Ibis has turned to poo. :rolleyes:

Anyway, who said SS had to be about simplicity? Honestly, its about having fun and hurting yourself senseless.

Oh, and beer.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Fisher Joshua FS SS

Wax said:
I know, I know, singles are supposed to be rigid and painful but I have an idea anyway. Has anyone ever heard of or tried out a single with a suspension? maybe like 5" of travel. I know their are inherent problems with the chain but what about designs that pivot around the bottom bracket shell? Could you use a bike with this design, add an old derailer to hold a little extra chain and make it work? I'm getting a little sick of adjusting the tranny on my all mountain bike and often take my single out just for simplicities sake.
Thoughts?
I recently converted my old Fisher Joshua F1 to SS. It has the URT design so chainline length issues are not a problem. It allso has an older SID rear shock with on the fly lockout. I think you kind of need it on a FS SS even with a stable platform shock (My 05 Dawg Primo has it). I have to say that I love to ride this bike as every time I hop on it, it's like an old friend but, if I were to build a new SS I think I would build a hardtail. I am finding that I am riding it locked out more than not.

·
Registered
127 Posts
khill said:
Kona makes a full-suspension singlespeed frame: the "A'

Kona Frame Shop
These were sold out 6 months ago. Both shops and kona's website. There was a 16" on mtnr classifieds about a month ago, and a few 18's on ebay 2 months ago.

Anyone have pics of the new '06 model? Its not in the 06 frameshop lineup. I heard rumor of it being at interbike, but no pics yet. I was told by kona via email that there is a US only version of the A frame due out this fall. Haven't seen it yet. Im getting real close to buying a Lenz if I don't hear SOMETHING about the Kona A real soon.

·
Misfit Psycles
2,772 Posts
i suppose you could make any hardtail SS into full suspension with a Cane Creek Thudbuster...3" of travel and no chain adjustments...just not so great in the cold cold months.

1 - 20 of 164 Posts