Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have finally made up my mind that I will purchase a new full suspension bike. The only problem is I can't decide. I currently live on the island that's long but will probably be moving to upstate NY in the summer---Ithaca to be exact. I'm 6' 1" and 180 - 185 lbs. My price range is $1,500 to $2,000. I do realize that some of the bikes below are considered "All Mountain" while others are in the cross country category. I was visiting the local bike shops recently and a beautiful Yeti 575 caught my eye. I know this is exceeds my above stated budget by several hundred dollars but I've found a couple of previous year models on sale. Should I splurge? Also, what is the average weight range of a full suspension bike? The bike that I will get should be a decent climber as well as handle some drops and the rooty & rocky trails / descents so common in the north east. The Jamis appears to have nicer components than the Trek or the Gary Fisher. I've never heard of the Jamis brand before I began my search. Are they a reputable manufacturer? My friend insists that I should get the Trek Fuel. Personally, I think it looks like grandmas rocking chair. Any advice or experience with the bicycles/brands listed would be greatly appreciated as well as any other bicycles that you feel I should consider. My first mountain bike was a 1996 Cannondale and I currently ride a 2005 Trek 6700. Thank you.

JAMIS Dakar XAM 1.0 msrp $1900
YETI 575 --- should I splurge?
GARY FISHER HiFi Plus msrp $1919.99
TREK Fuel EX 7 msrp $1869.99

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
All good choices

You're looking at 4 very good choices. To answer your question regarding weight, if you have an XC bike under 30 lbs, you're doing well, under 35 for an All Mountain rig seems to be a good weight. Obviously if you have a bottomless pocketbook, the bikes can get down into the sub 25 lbs and sub 30 lbs range respectively. Of the 4 bikes you're looking at, if you can get a deal on a leftover Yeti and still only go over your budget by a couple hundred dollars, I say splurge. They Yeti has a very good reputation, and if you want a boutique bike, it's a nice selection.

If you're looking at alternative options as your post implies, I would give consideration to the Ibex Asta Pro, or the Ibext Atlas Pro. Keep in mind these bikes are direct from manufacturer and would be buying sight unseen and without a test ride. You would, however be getting the most bang for your buck in the actual bike by purchasing direct, though. They do have a 30 day money back guarantee. If you want more info on them, check the Ibex forum in the manufacturers forums section of this site. Plenty of good info there.

Bob

·
SS Pusher Man
7,623 Posts
ChrisNY said:
I have finally made up my mind that I will purchase a new full suspension bike. The only problem is I can't decide. I currently live on the island that's long but will probably be moving to upstate NY in the summer---Ithaca to be exact. I'm 6' 1" and 180 - 185 lbs. My price range is $1,500 to $2,000. I do realize that some of the bikes below are considered "All Mountain" while others are in the cross country category. I was visiting the local bike shops recently and a beautiful Yeti 575 caught my eye. I know this is exceeds my above stated budget by several hundred dollars but I've found a couple of previous year models on sale. Should I splurge? Also, what is the average weight range of a full suspension bike? The bike that I will get should be a decent climber as well as handle some drops and the rooty & rocky trails / descents so common in the north east. The Jamis appears to have nicer components than the Trek or the Gary Fisher. I've never heard of the Jamis brand before I began my search. Are they a reputable manufacturer? My friend insists that I should get the Trek Fuel. Personally, I think it looks like grandmas rocking chair. Any advice or experience with the bicycles/brands listed would be greatly appreciated as well as any other bicycles that you feel I should consider. My first mountain bike was a 1996 Cannondale and I currently ride a 2005 Trek 6700. Thank you.

JAMIS Dakar XAM 1.0 msrp $1900
YETI 575 --- should I splurge?
GARY FISHER HiFi Plus msrp $1919.99
TREK Fuel EX 7 msrp $1869.99
The Hifi would fit the bill nicely. 5" of travel and right around 30 bls. Light enough to ride all day.....but enough travel and strong enough to play on.

Plus you can touch, feel, ride and know you are getting the correct size. In addition, any service issues will be taken care of by your LBS/Fisher dealer. Same cannot be said for Ibex.....sorry:thumbsup:

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
You're half-right

mtnbikej said:
Plus you can touch, feel, ride and know you are getting the correct size. In addition, any service issues will be taken care of by your LBS/Fisher dealer. Same cannot be said for Ibex.....sorry:thumbsup:
The only thing that the OP will get at the LBS that they won't get from Ibex is the fact that they can "can touch, feel, ride and know you are getting the correct size". That's a huge issue for many, and there's no getting around that. As for service, Ibex stands behind their product and warranty issues are handled in a variety of ways, including via your LBS. In both instances, (Ibex and Trek,or any other brand for that matter) it's going to be the quality, policies and reputation of the LBS as to getting satisfaction. Plenty of horror stories abound and they are documented all over this site. That includes Trek...sorry :thumbsup:

Just thought I'd clear up the half-truth.

Bob

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you to everyone that replied to my post. Since I've only ridden hardtail mountain bikes I have a couple more inquiries before I make a final decision on what full suspension I will get. What are the different types of suspensions and the benefits / drawbacks of each? I would like to know what categories the JAMIS Dakar XAM 1.0, YETI 575, and TREK Fuel EX 7 fall in. I love to go down but equally enjoy the pedal up and would like a suspension that would perform well in all conditions. Thank you once again.

·
KRISDALA BAKA!!!!!!!!!!!!
265 Posts
The new Jamis XAM's are a new design to replace the highly rated and popular XLT series of bicycles. So to find out how the XAM stacks up to their predecessor is hard to determine this early on.

I ride two Jamis bicycles and I am extremely impressed with their quality and customer support. I know nothing about the others you mentioned, simply because I am biased towards Jamis. I have no doubt that I will be a lifelong customer and supporter so long as they keep doing business as they have in the past.

The XAM has a redesigned suspension from past years, which is reported to save weight by having a smaller rear triangle. Plus it is an all mountain rig. If you want to look at an XC by Jamis, may I suggest the Dakar XCR Comp or Expert, which also has the same redesign suspension for this year.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Possum Rider feels your pain

I'm looking at some of the same types of bikes. Rode a Hi Fi pro last weekend, it was sweet, also looked at a couple of hardtails, rode the paragon it was fast, bumpy, a little rough in the corners. I couldn't get completely comfortable. Rode an Ellworth truth "05 sweet bike, didn't like the grip shifters but fast and light, great ride. Recently posted the question here on the forum for some expert advice. Currently ride the Possum xt, super sweet all mountain, alittle too heavy to race, trying to get under 27 lbs.Good luck with your choice let me know what you do./possum

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Yeti 575 bikes always seem to get good reviews for the all round capabilities.
Jamis is a reasonably well known brand, well here in Australia anyway, not as big or mainstream as others but certainly not some unkonwn either. Their name certainly seems to be appearing more this year.
Have you also considered the Giant range such as the Giant Trance, I think it would handle the type of riding you specified.

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
energetix is adding another excelent choise to the mix, definatlly a excelent climber. :thumbsup:

If you are going mainly XC with a few 1+ foot drops, look XC.
If you want to hit 2.5+ drops, climb up & decend fast, look AM.
If you want to really have a blast & dont mind climbing up with a 35+lb bike so you can rock the world going down, look at a agressive AM or FR bike. :cornut:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.