Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any advice on full-suspension versus hardtail for Leadville 100? I did it in '05 on a Blur, but was thinking it would be might be nice to go really light-weight for the long climbs. I'm a roadie, and not an expert mtbiker. Is a hardtail more likely to end-over on steep chunky downhills? Maybe I'm making too much of the weight thing...would a cyclross bike work at Leadville? Thanks, Clayton

·
Registered
154 Posts
I'd say go with what you're most comfortable riding. If your body can handle being bounced around on rough terrain on the ht, that's the choice. Even though there's nothing exceptionally technical that requires full suspension, the long day in the saddle is certainly more pleasant on the full suspension. I think the fs and some semi slick tires is the combo for most people.

There are some people who ride cross bikes, but that's a pretty crazy idea, imo. There are a few spots that would be pretty hairy on the skinny tires.

·
holding back the darkness
1,734 Posts
You might die on the powerline decent on a cyclocross bike. Your blur might really already be a prime choice for leadville. I've considered going to a hardtail too.... however, I personally feel that although you might loose a little power to the suspension, it will save you a great deal of general fatigue from getting beat up for 100 miles. Don't let that issue of weight get into your head.

·
Registered
445 Posts
??

clayton said:
Any advice on full-suspension versus hardtail for Leadville 100? I did it in '05 on a Blur, but was thinking it would be might be nice to go really light-weight for the long climbs. I'm a roadie, and not an expert mtbiker. Is a hardtail more likely to end-over on steep chunky downhills? Maybe I'm making too much of the weight thing...would a cyclross bike work at Leadville? Thanks, Clayton
If you did it in 05 I am not sure why you ask?

However IMO it's more the usual question of the following compromise, perceived/greater FS comfort vs. perceived/greater HT efficiency than any major concern about FS vs HT endo/crashes. Ya, the cyclross bike could bring the endo question into play but doing the LT 100 on a cross bike would be so cool

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.