Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

We have been trying to find a good full suspension bike for my wife who is 5'1" with pretty short legs. She rides some 15" hardtails, but preferes the 13" hardtail size. We were hopping to get here something like a specialized stumpjumper FSR pro, but specialized makes NO full suspension frame to fit her other than the Hotrock wich is too low budget to bother with.

Are there any other short woman who can recomend a good full suspension frame for her? She is mor of an XC rider with some desire to free ride. I am fine with building the bike if that is what it takes.

Thanks for your help!!

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
FreeRangeChicken said:
Look into the Titus Racer-X. They make an XXS size. I think Santa Cruz also makes some smaller frames.

Not cheap frames though.
I THINK Gary Fisher and Trek have some smaller FS WSD (Women Specific Design) frames that would be a bit cheaper than Titus. Check their website

·
Registered
391 Posts
X-Small FS bikes

Jamis Dakar
Gary Fisher Cake
Santa Cruz Juliana
Titus Racer X
Trek Fuel
Cannondale Jekyll

There are probably others, but these all come in 13-14 inch sizes, WSD.

·
I railed it like Kong
637 Posts
My wife - 5'2" rides an XS Haro X2 (5-6" travel) for freeride. Fits her great. She also has ridden the Kona Dawg for aggressive xc. also in XS 5.5" travel

·
SALLGUD
449 Posts
That "Jane" is wicked! I presently have both a Turner Burner and a Yeti 575. Love'em both but they are definitely two different animals.

My wife has ONLY a Yeti! She gets to hear me compare my two bikes and pick which one to ride on the different trails around here. Her birthday is May 15th. Is that Jane available now? Sounds like a birthday present is looming.

Michael

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Turner does very limited runs of the special size bikes. They also make a "sasquatch" for people over 6' 6", but they need 10 frame orders to do a run. Just call them up or email them (contact info on the Turnerbikes.com website) and ask Casey or Dave if there are any scheduled or in stock. It is the 4" Flux frame, and you can see feedback and reviews on it over on the Turner board.

·
i worship Mr T
5,543 Posts
very happy with my new baby:

titus racer-x. i'm 5'1" with fairly long legs but titus offers a variety of sizes including XXS (which was so tiny it made me feel like circus freak), XS, and S. mine happens to be a custom frame. worth every penny i spent on it.

rt

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sizing?

*rt* said:
very happy with my new baby:

titus racer-x. i'm 5'1" with fairly long legs but titus offers a variety of sizes including XXS (which was so tiny it made me feel like circus freak), XS, and S. mine happens to be a custom frame. worth every penny i spent on it.

rt
rt...
I am curious what geometry you choose for your custom sizing. You and I share the curse of the short torso... I am 5'2 with a 31-inch inseam.

Are you finally able to use a big-girl stem?? That is what I call a 100mm or longer :)

Thanks...and sorry for the hijack.
Danielle

·
i worship Mr T
5,543 Posts
Knuckle Sandwich said:
rt...
I am curious what geometry you choose for your custom sizing. You and I share the curse of the short torso... I am 5'2 with a 31-inch inseam.

Are you finally able to use a big-girl stem?? That is what I call a 100mm or longer :)

Thanks...and sorry for the hijack.
Danielle
hi danielle,

i used my trek 8000 wsd (size XS) as the basis for my custom sizing and then i told them what i wanted to modify about the ride. e.g., i liked the fact that i could easily man-handle (woman-handle?) the bike in technical stuff but it did not corner as well as my ss surly (i also gave them some of the specs for the surly). also i thought that the tt on the trek was about a half inch too short and i wanted more clearance on the bb to reduce pedal strikes. oh, and i asked them to make the head tube no longer than 3.25" because the last FS bike i had had a 5" head tube (don't ask!) and that was a comlete disaster. the head tube on the titus is a tiny 3"!

lol. nope, still using the baby stem. 90mm with a 5 deg rise (flipped upside down so that it's a 5* drop), but i'm thinking of trying a 100 mm stem with the same rise to see if it helps reduce the unreal pain i get in my lower back when i race.

having now ridden the new bike once and raced it the next day i have to say that it does everything i asked for and more. can't wait to get it really dialed in. :)

rt

·
Time is not a road.
4,150 Posts
My fiancee rides a 13" Ellsworth Isis, she's 5'3" and she's got plenty of standover. They still make the small Isis and this year they're making a 13" Truth.

Ventana also offers the X5 in X-small sizes and perhaps other models as well. Larry at mtnhighcyclery.com could help you with Ventana bikes (pricing will be very competative, too). His wife is on a very small X5. Nice looking bike, lots of options for color, travel, etc.

I found my financee's frame on MTBR classifieds - got it about 1/2 price. Couldn't beat that deal!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.