Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
more beers, lees gears.
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So what brands are out there? Im looking to fondle a few in search of a new full suspension.

Im looking for more All mountain than XC. I have hardtail Vassago for the XC trails. Just need 4 or 5 inches, with some middle of the road geometry.

I hear from padre Lenz lunchbox is a good way to go. What are the other options?

·
Expert Crasher
6,359 Posts
mattKHS said:
So what brands are out there? Im looking to fondle a few in search of a new full suspension.

Im looking for more All mountain than XC. I have hardtail Vassago for the XC trails. Just need 4 or 5 inches, with some middle of the road geometry.

I hear from padre Lenz lunchbox is a good way to go. What are the other options?
New DW Link Sultans are hitting the market - there will be a dearth of 07/08 Sultans in the classifieds. I'd go for a Sultan.:D

·
more beers, lees gears.
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
now arent the niners, fishers, salsas, treks, etc more XC?

What is the geometry on that curtlo? (no info on their site)

I forgot that the specialized FSR is a relaxed geometry. I think i like the 69° HT angle. Seems a lot of the FS 29ers are running a 71°

I tried some forum searches, but never found much relating to all mountain / relaxed XC bikes.

AZ is pretty rocky, so i need some full suspension with an AM geometry.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
mattKHS said:
so the rip 9 has a 71.5 ht angle. Is there such a 29er fs with a 70 or a 69? or only the specialized?
Here is a link to the Niner 2009 catalogue:

http://www.ninerbikes.com/2009catalog/09_ninercatalog_high.pdf

Look for the W.F.O. It has the full spec. Head Tube Angle 70 deg. with 140mm. fork. 5.5" rear travel and will accept the Hammerschmidt. Looks pretty AM to me.

Ronnie.

·
No Clue Crew
7,710 Posts
Search some of Enel's threads. He's an AZ rider and seems to have pretty good bike taste. He's riding Lenz. I'm building an Astrix Monk, which appears to be the closest to the Lenz geo at a much better price (and easier to get).
d

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
You have read the MTBR 29er FS shootout right? You did a search of these forums and didn't find a gazillion dead horse threads just like this? :skep: What sort of jumps/drops will you be doing that you're looking for sure an all mountain (marketing BS term) rig?

Just to be "nice" as that's one of my new years resolutions, I'll list them off for you, so as to not have you spend too much of your precious time searching through this forum looking for answers.

LENZ Behemoth/Box, NINER RIP9/WFO9, TURNER Sultan, VENTANA El Rey/El Capitan, ASTRIK Monk, VOODOO Canzo, PIVOT 429, SpecialED FSR...........all are over 4" travel, most are over 5" and paired with the right fork will climb up the mountain and go back down with confidence and agility both ways.

mattKHS said:
now arent the niners, fishers, salsas, treks, etc more XC?

What is the geometry on that curtlo? (no info on their site)

I forgot that the specialized FSR is a relaxed geometry. I think i like the 69° HT angle. Seems a lot of the FS 29ers are running a 71°

I tried some forum searches, but never found much relating to all mountain / relaxed XC bikes.

AZ is pretty rocky, so i need some full suspension with an AM geometry.

·
more beers, lees gears.
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
the shoot out I found was from 2006. is there a newer one?

The searches came up with a lot of *****ing and moaning at a posters builder of choice and others thinking that was a terrible idea. I did find several relevant posts, and I did read those, most were talking generically about FS 29er. not something less XC race oriented (wich a lot of the first fs 29ers seemed to be).

Thanks for your list LyNx. ITs exactly what I was looking for.

The WFO looks right what I am looking for. the others all look like great options too.

Now I know what I need to be demoing, and finding dealers / other riders for.

Is it sad one of the reasons I didnt look hard at the monk was that it only comes in red, and I really dislike red?

·
Get out of town!
1,442 Posts
GreenLightGo said:
New DW Link Sultans are hitting the market - there will be a dearth of 07/08 Sultans in the classifieds. I'd go for a Sultan.:D
Yep - I have a medium that I am selling bc I got a new frame. I was perfectly happy w/ the TNT Sultan but was given a DW frame as a gift so I had to build it! I thought about just selling the new frame at first and picking up a nice hardtail. I had so much fun riding the TNT Sultan however that curiosity got the best of me. I am paying my 2 bucks for an ad as soon as I get a picture of the frame btw. Not trying to spam it up :D

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Just wanted to answer this question as I only recently got the answer myself.....Your statement is true if you're are refering to the older RIP9s, before the hydro formed tubing - they were designed around a 100mm fork. If talking about the new, hydro formed, stiffer '09 RIP9s then NO, it is designed around a 120mm fork to have the 71.5 HA - you have to run a longer fork i.e WB 135 to get something in a 69.* HA.

If you're looking for 6" bike there really are only 2 - Niner WFO9 and LENZ LunchBOX (forgot the BOX in my above list)
I dunno, guess

mattKHS said:
so should I assume a 120mm fork would make it closer to 70°?
this whole "try to be nicer in '09" is really getting to me, but I'll feed you 2 very good threads by Enel on the RIP and Lenz bikes.
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=478851
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=472143

·
more beers, lees gears.
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Got it. thanks.

Great links from Enel.

Sorry to hear it was such a hinderance to discuss trail bike / "all mountain" full suspension 29ers.

I thought discussing bikes with 4 - 6" travel with 69° - 70.5° HA would be a good idea, since it was so specific that searches came up endless, and vague.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.