Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all - I posted in the 29er page, but someone suggested I post here since I live in Colorado and primarily ride the front range trails. I'm wanting to purchase my first full suspension 29er. I've been on a cheap hardtail for years and want full suspension. My budget is $2,000.00. I've been researching my options and the new Giant Stance 29 1 and Marin Rift Zone 2 are at the top of my list. I've also looked at the Specialized Stumpjumper ST 29. Can you please let me know which bike you'd choose and why or make another suggestion in my price range? Thanks in advance.

·
bacon! bacon! bacon!
12,451 Posts
If you're married to the 29" wheel this won't help, but I'd recommend the alloy Trance 3:

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/trance-3

Not the best component spec, but you can't get that for $2K. Advantage is a "proper" full suspension design (the Stance is basically a single-pivot).

This would be a bike that could "grow" with you - the suspension design is the same as all their other high-end bikes. Upgrade components as you become a better rider and start knowing what you like.

Only drawback (and I'd argue not really a drawback) - not a 29'er.

:D

·
Registered
667 Posts
At your price point you'll get a lot more for your money on the used market like CL or PB. I saw an Ibis Ripley in that range on CL recently. If you're set on New I'd take a look at Trek Fuel EX and Scott Spark as well

·
Registered
727 Posts
Try the Front Range Bike Swap and Velo Swap Facebook groups. You may be able to find something there. There is also ProsCloset (https://www.theproscloset.com/) out of Golden. They sell lots of used bikes. Evo Denver (https://www.evo.com/) sometimes has a good selection of year last years stock. If you have a flexible time, start going to local shops and asking when they sell off their demo bikes. Bicycle Village also does a yearly tent sale, but I think that is in the fall.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
At your price point, you should really consider getting yourself a good hardtail. You won't find anything decent used for $2k and anything new at that price is going to be crap, e.g. the Giant linked above that is going to bob like crazy and completely depend on the rear shock to control it with the pivot point below the chainline like that.

·
Registered
727 Posts

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Holy smokes, the Commencal Meta AM 29 Ride is on sale for $2200. A 170mm Lyrik, Rock Shox Deluxe RT with 160mm rear travel, 200mm rotors, a dropper post? Since you are local, you could even pick it up at Commencal in Golden and skip the shipping/assembly hassle.

OP, if you are looking for an enduro type bike, that is an insane deal. Yes, it has 2018 SRAM NX 11-speed components, but those are very solid, and it is an easy upgrade later, in fact, you can keep the crank and upgrade the shifter, derailleur, chain and cassette to NX 12-speed with a 50T low gear for under $300.

https://www.commencalusa.com/Mobile/meta-am-29-ride-c2x26760987

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Holy smokes, the Commencal Meta AM 29 Ride is on sale for $2200. A 170mm Lyrik, Rock Shox Deluxe RT with 160mm rear travel, 200mm rotors, a dropper post? Since you are local, you could even pick it up at Commencal in Golden and skip the shipping/assembly hassle.

OP, if you are looking for an enduro type bike, that is an insane deal. Yes, it has 2018 SRAM NX 11-speed components, but those are very solid, and it is an easy upgrade later, in fact, you can keep the crank and upgrade the shifter, derailleur, chain and cassette to NX 12-speed with a 50T low gear for under $300.

Their bikes are absolutely terrible. Let the buyer beware.

·
Registered
48 Posts
My two cents.

I'd avoid used unless you really know what you're looking at. Most will tell you they just ride paved trails and rub their bike with a diaper all day, but everybody i know rides hard and will sacrifice their bike before their body. For instance, my bike looks good, rides good and meets your criteria, but it's lived a hard life.

For $2200 that Commencal Meta AM 29 is hard to beat. Located right by I470 and I70? Go test ride one on Green Mountain and decide for yourself.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you all for your help. I really don't want a hardtail and I really don't want to buy used. I think I'm going to go look at the Meta AM 29 Ride. I see that it has quite a bit of travel and it's classified as an enduro style bike. I don't know a lot about the different MTB styles, but will this be a good bike for front range trails? I'm assuming the lockout rear shock will be helpful for climbing...

·
Registered
727 Posts
Thank you all for your help. I really don't want a hardtail and I really don't want to buy used. I think I'm going to go look at the Meta AM 29 Ride. I see that it has quite a bit of travel and it's classified as an enduro style bike. I don't know a lot about the different MTB styles, but will this be a good bike for front range trails? I'm assuming the lockout rear shock will be helpful for climbing...
It is a lot of bike. In the end it really comes down to what you like. The best thing is to go down and see it. if you can take it to Green Mountain that would be perfect. Play with the shock settings and see if you like it. You will know pretty quickly if you like the bike or not.

If the weather holds out this afternoon, it will be a perfect day at Green Mountain. I'm hoping to get a hot lap in at Green Mountain today.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
48 Posts
This probably will be met with heaps of internet rage, but modern full suspension (and hard tail) bikes are all pretty dialed and the overall differences are mostly marketing. Your fitness determines climbing and i'm guessing you'll be fine on that bike with a 30T, 11 speed. You'll be giggling and thanking yourself for the 170mm Lyrik on the downhill.

That being said, the only way to determine if it's the bike for you is to ride them where you plan on riding most of the time.

Shoot! i think i'm going to test ride that bike this weekend! thanks for the link @gundrted.

·
Registered
333 Posts

I second this. No idea what twodownzero is talking about. Probably hasn't ridden one. I've ridden one and it is a beast of a bike. However, it is on the piggish side, but for as big of a bike as it is, it's not a horrible climber. For $2200, you really can't go wrong. You can always upgrade parts as you break stuff.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I second this. No idea what twodownzero is talking about. Probably hasn't ridden one. I've ridden one and it is a beast of a bike. However, it is on the piggish side, but for as big of a bike as it is, it's not a horrible climber. For $2200, you really can't go wrong. You can always upgrade parts as you break stuff.
Definitely rode one at Angel Fire last year. Honestly, it was the absolute worst trail bike I've ever ridden. It didn't help that the one they gave me had a semi slick rear tire, but overall, virtually anything would be better than their bikes. While I was on my way down, some other unfortunate person had a flat tire on a demo bike. They had actually sent him out on a bike with tubes in the tires!

There are a ton of online only brands, some I've experienced, some I haven't. YT bikes are worth the hype, the Nukeproof and Canyon brands look good although I've never ridden one, I've never had a bad experience on any BikesDirect bike, and I've yet to meet anyone with a Diamondback who was unhappy although I haven't ridden their bikes, either.

I have ridden a lot of trail bikes, including Trek, Spot, Norco, Evil, Santa Cruz, Pivot, Giant, Niner, and Specialized, and I can confidently say that I wouldn't even consider a Commencal bicycle. No thanks. Maybe it's for you and you have a different preference; that's fine. I haven't loved every bike I've ever ridden, but in the world of full suspension bikes I have, the Commencal was a very distant last.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Definitely rode one at Angel Fire last year. Honestly, it was the absolute worst trail bike I've ever ridden. It didn't help that the one they gave me had a semi slick rear tire, but overall, virtually anything would be better than their bikes. While I was on my way down, some other unfortunate person had a flat tire on a demo bike. They had actually sent him out on a bike with tubes in the tires!

There are a ton of online only brands, some I've experienced, some I haven't. YT bikes are worth the hype, the Nukeproof and Canyon brands look good although I've never ridden one, I've never had a bad experience on any BikesDirect bike, and I've yet to meet anyone with a Diamondback who was unhappy although I haven't ridden their bikes, either.

I have ridden a lot of trail bikes, including Trek, Spot, Norco, Evil, Santa Cruz, Pivot, Giant, Niner, and Specialized, and I can confidently say that I wouldn't even consider a Commencal bicycle. No thanks. Maybe it's for you and you have a different preference; that's fine. I haven't loved every bike I've ever ridden, but in the world of full suspension bikes I have, the Commencal was a very distant last.
I call bullshit. The Meta AM 29 wasn't even available last year. I looked at AF's rentals for this year, and they don't have any Commencal Meta AMs of any kind.

So you rode a beat up rental Commencal of some variety, with a bald rear tire, and now all of their bikes suck. We get it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.