Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Underskilled
4,640 Posts
I also notice how a.a's posted Jet9 that the bars are towering pretty high above the saddle. Just because you can make it comfortable doesn't mean it is the correct fit....its very hard to generate any power from a sitting position like that.

Shorter riders prefer relatively higher bars, so it is not as much of an issue as it looks to a normal person.

I am huge and like my bars way low, I am a foot taller and our bars are within a few inches of each other.

·
Registered
181 Posts
It seems the importance of standover has been abandoned for the big wheel trend. I agree with the above comments on the Jet 9. Good luck climbing a steep hill on that setup.

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
29er wheels with 2,3" tyres measure about 74 centimeters, which is a tad over a 29 inches. On 584mm rims(27,5 or 650b) you'll need at least 3,8" tyres for 74cm outer diameter (one needs 38mm taller tyre sidewalls) and there is no 27,5 frames in the works to clear such a monstrous tyre neither is there a tyre. Much lighter set is to get 622mm rims with smaller tyres. That's what 650b zealots say about 2,8" 26" combos putting forth 2,3" with 584mm rim.
650b is like new Sram 170mm rotors, when everyone is set on 180mm. Two solutions looking for a problem or more likely their inventors for easy cush. :D
Since you touch an explosive topic I would set all those evil 650b/27.5" frames, tyres and forks on a pile and make them pretty much explode into pieces. I guess then we could finally get lower gearing from Shimano and Sram and lighter more spoked wheels with light rims for 29ers. Now the market ressources are spread thin over to catter for nonsense for 29er naysayers, who have never ridden a decent 29er for a longer time period just a parking lot ride on a budget crappy one.:nono:

The idea is to obtain a frame with desired TT lenght, stanover and use -25 deg stem with flat bar or even dropper bars- upside down riser bars or get a customnegative riser (titanium?) On a road bike grips are lower than a stem and nobody complains. Why 29er should mimic 26er appearance? It is different bicycle just happened to be used in offroad as well. That's it.
What the hell are you babbling about?

·
SS Pusher Man
7,608 Posts
It seems the importance of standover has been abandoned for the big wheel trend. I agree with the above comments on the Jet 9. Good luck climbing a steep hill on that setup.
Standover has been an issue for a long time....even on 26" bikes. With longer travel FS rigs you often times had to sacrifice SO for TT.

So much so that it is becoming an unuseful dimension. Hell, even at 6' with a 32" inseam, the standover on my 20" El Mariachi is just short if 31".

I regards to the bar height and climbing.....you would be amazed at what people can do. Just because it's not the way YOU would do it....doesn't make it wrong.

·
meow meow
10,622 Posts
Never said she should get a 29er because the pro's are doing it, just giving an example of another short female riding a 29er that just happens to be doing it professionally.
imo you need to look even more critically at what pros do because they are getting paid.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Standover has been an issue for a long time....even on 26" bikes. With longer travel FS rigs you often times had to sacrifice SO for TT.

So much so that it is becoming an unuseful dimension. Hell, even at 6' with a 32" inseam, the standover on my 20" El Mariachi is just short if 31".

I regards to the bar height and climbing.....you would be amazed at what people can do. Just because it's not the way YOU would do it....doesn't make it wrong.
Agreed at 5'5" with short legs I'm actually limited on 26 bikes too. The SO on my Top Fuel is only .5" less than my diSSent.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Thanks for all the amazing insights in this dilemma. I have noticed no one recommending a women specific bike still that are out there in a 29er.

The RDO looks really cool. I still think the Superlight may be a good one to start with a demo. The RDO may be next. The tallboy in a medium seem a bit of a stretch, literally! I'm not convinced it would work and for a person at 5'3.

·
Registered
492 Posts
One thing to consider is that it will be easier to resell a non women's specific bike. Not that you're thinking about that now. RDO is too expensive, look at the regular Jet 9.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Wow that sure is a nice build. I'm trying to locate a small that she can demo. We went to Trek demo and she tried the small superfly but it was still too big for her. She rode a Lush (WSB), she liked it but it is women's specific. I do agree if we ever wanted to sell the bike it would be harder to sell of its a womens only bike. I have a Niner dealer I'm going to contact to see what they got. For her size it just seems that in a 29er only the Superlight would be right for her, but we'll see what the Niners look like. Thanks for sharing your superlight build.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I would not use resale as my primary criteria. It's all about the fit. It makes or breaks the ride. You should shoot for a neutral saddle/bar interface i.e. same level.. My wife has been on both women's specific and regular. She is currently on a Med Giant anthem X 29er and she's only 5' 6", but it's all leg. Short inseams have a more difficult fit problem on 29ers. J

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
If you get a nice WSD bike like a 26" Specialized Safire Comp or the New Trek Lush (I would spring for the SL version in the Trek line) resale is not gonna be an issue IMO. Those are very nice bikes and would be snapped up quickly. My GF and daughter both have Safire Comps.

Also either of those mentioned has a Fox fork and you could install a 650B front wheel with no issues. Most of the benefits from 650B come from the front wheel and yes it does make a nice difference. 26.5lbs for the Safire Comp! Nice.

Ignore Copperfield, he's a troll and a PIA. 650B is the real deal and another nice option to have.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Get the Anthem 29er W! It makes the most sense for a woman that stands 5'1".

Yes Giant is the ONLY women's specific 29er f/s on the market right now. Giant supports women's riders in a major way.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Yeah, we are seriously considering it. My LBS doesn't have any for her to stand over and ride for a bit. That is that hard part. I may just have to call around to the bigger cities around and see if I can track one down. A little bit of gas is worth the expense of making sure the bike fits her and she likes it.

·
Custom User Title
7,430 Posts
Well everyone I spoken to says women like them much better than 26ers.
Is that what she said? They had been asking those women the wrong question.

5'1"? Get her a nice trail 26" and do not overthink it. Small (or even XS) Santa Cruz Julian or Nickel with R Xc kit.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts