Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
ready to ride
859 Posts
Why Medium is the smallest on TB, while they make S in Superlight? Any cause of that?
Why not copy S Superlight geo onto Tallboy S?
Just a guess but I would think that the VPP suspension might not accommodate a smaller frame?

Also just a personal observation. While on paper the geometry of the two bikes are almost identical real life they fit quite different. I felt cramped in the cockpit of the Superlight 29, and a large fit me best. While on the Tallboy I felt too stretched out on the large. I would not have thought that sizing would have been different on the two bikes. I guess it just goes to show if at all possible try before you buy.

That and we all know short people don't have that kind of expendable cash.;)

·
Premium Member
7,491 Posts
Um...

If your wife was the one who started the ball rolling on the 29er idea, go for it, but make sure she test rides something first. IMO 29" wheels are not going to be a great fit for 90% of riders this size. She might be an exception, she might not. Keep in mind that 29" wheels for her are (if you're around 6' tall) equivalent to ~35" wheels for you.

If, on the other hand, this is your idea, and you're going to present it to your wife as fait accompli, get your head out of your *ss and send her to some women-only demo days to figure out what *she* wants. I would bet a 29er isn't it, no matter how cool you think it would be.

-Walt

·
Stokeless Asshat
3,360 Posts
Niner JET9 RDO also has a super low 27.2" with 80mm/27.4" with 100mm stand over as well.

It has an awesome stand over friendly curvature in the design. :thumbsup:
Sweet! Check E. Cheese photo shoot. :)

·
Registered
134 Posts
I am a 5'2" female and let me just say that I freaking love my 29er. She should test ride any bike before dropping the money. I'm just going to say that I will never ride a 26" again after riding my 29er. Everything feels much better about it. I hate when people say that short people shouldn't ride them.

Also, Emily Batty is 5'2" and rides a 29er as well and she's a pro.

I ride a Niner Jet 9, it's a little above your price range but your shop might cut you a deal you never know. I love the way it fits me.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Your woman is only 5'1''. The full suspension with the lowest stand-over, and coincidentally is in the budge is the Santa Cruz Superlight 29. This is there first model to come in a size small with a 27.2" standover.

Be careful of seat tube length because chances are there will be seatpost sticking out while she is on the bike..so it doesn't matter if its 14.5" or 16.5". Reach, stand-over, and Effective Top Tube are the numbers you have to really look for.

Also, if it comes to it that she needs a 50mm stem (had to go through this w/ my girl) Origin8 makes a 50mm 6deg 31.8 stem that is lightweight and inexpensive. Everything else is going to be a bulky DH stem.
agree 100%. Being a short guy (5'5") and wanting a 29er, I spent a ton of time pouring over specs to see what bike had the geo I needed. Start off by seeing what she likes/dislike about her current bike, has she been fitted on her current bike? I'd look at some of the measurements of her bike especially TT length and use that as a jumping off point for looking a FS 29ers. The Superlight is a great choice. Niner Jet 9 (reg, not RDO) might be an option but the TT length is an inch longer than the Superlight and might be too long. Yeah you can do a shorter stem, but getting a the right TT length is important and stem lengths and angles can make minor tweaks.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I am a 5'2" female and let me just say that I freaking love my 29er. She should test ride any bike before dropping the money. I'm just going to say that I will never ride a 26" again after riding my 29er. Everything feels much better about it. I hate when people say that short people shouldn't ride them.

Also, Emily Batty is 5'2" and rides a 29er as well and she's a pro.

I ride a Niner Jet 9, it's a little above your price range but your shop might cut you a deal you never know. I love the way it fits me.
Thank you for chiming in on this one. I was hoping for more female input. I'm glad to hear you love your 29er. As other women have told her to get a 29er and not another 26er.

Thank you guys too for all your expert analysis, I appreciate it. You know I never even considered the SC Superlight. I just considered the Trek and the Giant, nor did I consider the Niner. Yes the RDO is out of control sick but it is also out of the budget too, if I could I would. The other thing that makes good sense too is (not purchasing a WS bike) if she decides she wants another bike it does have an advantage of selling a non-Women-Specific bike.

Why a 29er? Because many ladies have been giving her and me good feedback on it based on the fact they are similar in height. Why a FS? Well for comfortability of course. You've all shed some really good light on this. Now we just need to do some demo riding and collect feedback. I do want to get her properly fitted too ofcourse. Any more info on this subject by all means bring it... Ladies and gents...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Here is a Niner Jet 9 that was "fitted" for a 5'2" female rider. We ended up using a 70mm stem. The first choice was the Jet 9 RDO but it didn't fit the budget. Same comments as above, she would never go back to a 26er after trying out a 29er.

I suggest you try out/demo the Superlight 29. The difference in rear suspension (single pivot vs CVA) was the reason why we went with the Niner.

I believe you can still find the Jet 9 "SRAM x7 complete bike" for $2799.

Attachments

·
Registered
134 Posts
Here is a Niner Jet 9 that was "fitted" for a 5'2" female rider. We ended up using a 70mm stem. The first choice was the Jet 9 RDO but it didn't fit the budget. Same comments as above, she would never go back to a 26er after trying out a 29er.

I suggest you try out/demo the Superlight 29. The difference in rear suspension (single pivot vs CVA) was the reason why we went with the Niner.

I believe you can still find the Jet 9 "SRAM x7 complete bike" for $2799.
Sweet bike.. I really wanted the black but got the x7 complete and actually the raw finish has really grown on me. They are definitely still available, I just got mine this month. My LBS cut me a good deal since I do a lot of trail maintenance.

·
SS Pusher Man
7,608 Posts
Just built up a M Tallboy for my wife...... 5'3" on a good day. Fits pretty good, except for the standover, which is pretty high. However the TT length is good without having to resort to a super short stem. SC bikes tend to fit a little smaller than the what the geo numbers would indicate.

She also has a S Niner EMD that fits very well with a 75mm stem.

Toyed with the idea of a S Jet 9, but the numbers were nearly identical to the Tallboy.

·
Trail Junkie
2,210 Posts
I am not sure how a woman that is 5'3" would fit into a medium Tallboy with a "not so shortish" stem say 75mm-90mm on a 584mm TT (Tallboy) but fit into a Niner EMD (Sm) with a TT of 572mm and fit the same. These bikes are a full size apart. I ride a medium Tallboy at 5'9 and 30.5" inseam..granted I do run 680mm wide bars.

I also notice how a.a's posted Jet9 that the bars are towering pretty high above the saddle. Just because you can make it comfortable doesn't mean it is the correct fit....its very hard to generate any power from a sitting position like that. The TT on the Jet9 (small) is even longer than the medium Tallboy

If you have a position on the bike to generate efficient power on the bike...in the saddle and out, the, the suspension design isn't going to matter, and you aren't going to climb any faster or more efficient..its biomechanics, and you don't need a bike fit and power meter to find that out, but it will prove it. I know not everyone is looking at things from a racing perspective but bike fit goes way past performance but also injury avoidance.

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Here's a radical thought. If you're not in a rush, you could wait a few months. From what I'm reading, 650b is pretty much going to explode for '13, which isn't that far off (a couple of months or so) in the bike world.

You'll have more options if you (she) can wait to try some of these new "tweener" bikes.

·
Carbon & Ti rule
5,410 Posts
My wife is 5'3 & her last 2 bikes have been 29er & she likes them & won't go back to 26er.

She is not very brave & found them much better for her.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Here's a radical thought. If you're not in a rush, you could wait a few months. From what I'm reading, 650b is pretty much going to explode for '13, which isn't that far off (a couple of months or so) in the bike world.

You'll have more options if you (she) can wait to try some of these new "tweener" bikes.
See....the problem with 650B is it's not a 29er. 650b is so like 31" tires on a jeep, when you could and should have sprung for the 33"s!!!

·
Carbon & Ti rule
5,410 Posts
My ex girl friend demo a Tall boy at Sea Otter last year ,she is 5'3" they put her on a med. ,she loved it.
Yes my wife would be an ex if I caught her riding a Tall Boy as well :D

·
Registered
2,789 Posts

29er wheels with 2,3" tyres measure about 74 centimeters, which is a tad over a 29 inches. On 584mm rims(27,5 or 650b) you'll need at least 3,8" tyres for 74cm outer diameter (one needs 38mm taller tyre sidewalls) and there is no 27,5 frames in the works to clear such a monstrous tyre neither is there a tyre. Much lighter set is to get 622mm rims with smaller tyres. That's what 650b zealots say about 2,8" 26" combos putting forth 2,3" with 584mm rim.
650b is like new Sram 170mm rotors, when everyone is set on 180mm. Two solutions looking for a problem or more likely their inventors for easy cush. :D
Since you touch an explosive topic I would set all those evil 650b/27.5" frames, tyres and forks on a pile and make them pretty much explode into pieces. I guess then we could finally get lower gearing from Shimano and Sram and lighter more spoked wheels with light rims for 29ers. Now the market ressources are spread thin over to catter for nonsense for 29er naysayers, who have never ridden a decent 29er for a longer time period just a parking lot ride on a budget crappy one.:nono:

The idea is to obtain a frame with desired TT lenght, stanover and use -25 deg stem with flat bar or even dropper bars- upside down riser bars or get a customnegative riser (titanium?) On a road bike grips are lower than a stem and nobody complains. Why 29er should mimic 26er appearance? It is different bicycle just happened to be used in offroad as well. That's it.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts