Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that my bike should be here this week, the search is on for a FS 29er for my wife. Why a 29er? Well everyone I spoken to says women like them much better than 26ers. Plus the benefits that go with a 29er and most of us know what those are. My problem is she is only 5'1. Well I guess that's a big problem. What do you all recommend? I thought of another tallboy but no size small in a tallboy so scratch that off.

Women, please give your thoughts here. Guys let me know what your wife thinks of her bike if she is around this height and she's in a 29er.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
By the way, the price range is $2500 max or below that.

A friend just recommended to me the Trek Superfly 100 AL Elite. He said it comes in a small 15.5 inch which would be great for someone her height and he said it starts at $2699 MSRP. I'm sure a shop will deal lower than that. He said it comes in a nice color most women would be comfortable with, white base with red decals. This looks to be a good start. I'll go to the site and look this one up.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Giant introduced an Anthem X 29er W for women, 14.5" seat tube. Two models to chose from. The inseam number often dictates 29er sizing/fit. Cheers J.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Giant introduced an Anthem X 29er W for women, 14.5" seat tube. Two models to chose from. The inseam number often dictates 29er sizing/fit. Cheers J.
Hey thanks, it seems to be the first one for women specific in a FS 29er. I saw the two options are in price range from $1900 - 2900. Looks nice too. Found a video too if anyone is interested and is in the same boat as me:

Introducing the Anthem X 29er W - YouTube

·
Registered
596 Posts
You don't need a womens specific bike. Find bikes sold in a small size and try those.
Specialized makes them. They do happen to have a full sus womens specific bike though.

Let her decide if the colors are ok or not though. The whole "womens **** has to be pink, purple, and light blue" thing is a bit annoying.

Try to ride and demo as many as you can find is the key.

·
Registered
553 Posts
You don't need a womens specific bike. Find bikes sold in a small size and try those.
Specialized makes them. They do happen to have a full sus womens specific bike though.

Let her decide if the colors are ok or not though. The whole "womens **** has to be pink, purple, and light blue" thing is a bit annoying.

Try to ride and demo as many as you can find is the key.
Also, resale tends to be better if you can avoid getting a WS frame. In past experience, it's usually much easier to sell on craigslist if you need to or want to upgrade in the future. Men and women will show up to test out a normal frame - Not so much the other way.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also, resale tends to be better if you can avoid getting a WS frame. In past experience, it's usually much easier to sell on craigslist if you need to or want to upgrade in the future. Men and women will show up to test out a normal frame - Not so much the other way.
Yeah good point. I didn't think about that.

·
Trail Junkie
2,210 Posts
Your woman is only 5'1''. The full suspension with the lowest stand-over, and coincidentally is in the budge is the Santa Cruz Superlight 29. This is there first model to come in a size small with a 27.2" standover.

Be careful of seat tube length because chances are there will be seatpost sticking out while she is on the bike..so it doesn't matter if its 14.5" or 16.5". Reach, stand-over, and Effective Top Tube are the numbers you have to really look for.

Also, if it comes to it that she needs a 50mm stem (had to go through this w/ my girl) Origin8 makes a 50mm 6deg 31.8 stem that is lightweight and inexpensive. Everything else is going to be a bulky DH stem.

Santa Cruz Bicycles

Santa Cruz Superlight 29er and Highball Alloy 29er – Actual Weights & Geometry Charts - Bike Rumor

Santa Cruz 29er Launch: Single-Pivot Superlight Reborn as a 29er and a New Hardtail - Pinkbike

Singletrack Magazine | Santa Cruz Superlight 29 - First Ride

·
2,811 Posts
Your woman is only 5'1''. The full suspension with the lowest stand-over, and coincidentally is in the budge is the Santa Cruz Superlight 29. This is there first model to come in a size small with a 27.2" standover.
Niner JET9 RDO also has a super low 27.2" with 80mm/27.4" with 100mm stand over as well.

It has an awesome stand over friendly curvature in the design. :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Trail Junkie
2,210 Posts
Too bad its way out of the OP's budget. $2600 for the frame alone...he can buy the whole bike with RXC kit for $2400..or DXC kit for $1800. The RDO is 27.2 @ 80mm, where as the SL29 is 27.2 @ 100mm... Also the ETT on the RDO is 22.7" and the SL29 is 22.2 a full half in smaller ETT. You have to consider who its for...someone who is 5'1'' isn't going to fit on a nearly 23" ETT without a bunch of compromise ie...short stem, saddle moved all the way forward, high rise bars rolled back....
The RDO sizing even states 5'3"-5'9". The SL29 states 5'-5'5"
Santa Cruz Bicycles

Been there done that to try to make a bike that is too big to fit a small woman.

·
ready to ride
859 Posts
dubdryver already said what I was going to. The SC superlight 29 is one of the smallest I have seen. Nice bike too. I would have gone with it over the Tallboy except there are some sections of trail that I ride where I think the VPP will perform better for me.

My wife is 5'2" she doesn't ride as much as I do or care to ride technical trails like I do, so she thought a FS would be overkill. I just got her a Motobecane 29er in large part because they have one of the shortest standover heights. Which she loves by the way. I can tell you this, her perception of riding is night day compared to her 26". If she out grows the HT the SC superlight 29 would get a hard look.

·
Registered
99 Posts
The problem with buying a lower priced 29er for a shorter female is that it will be heavier and slower to get going after switchbacks etc.
Spend the cash to get a light one or at least upgrade the wheels to lighter ones.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
My girlfriend is 5'2" or so, and I think it'd be a heck of a job finding a 29er that'd fit her, especially a FS. The ETT would be the killer for her, she needs a very short bike, it's quite hard for her to find one outside of 26" wheels. I love 29ers, but it'd be a real stretch for her.

·
Banned
1,095 Posts
Where a kid can be a kid

2Mellow, I have to ask. How did you get a pic of a bike in a CC?

All this time I thought pics of bikes on top of kitchen counters was odd. :skep:

Just to add something constructive to the post. At 5'1" she really needs to test ride the bike before purchasing.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Does she want a FS 29er? Or do you think she wants a 29er? There are some great full suspension bikes for 26ers as well.

Take her out shopping for bikes and see if there's something she likes. She's really the only one that make that decision.

It's not that she can't ride a FS 29er, it's just that her choices are extremely limited.

·
Trail Junkie
2,210 Posts
The statement about the weight is pretty much the only valid aspect. When I built an Intense Spider XVP 26" size small for my girl..it was 31.5lb. She was alright with it....but fast forward to present. Much of the parts came off the Intense, but replaced wheelset, tires, fork, and handlebar onto a 2012 EMD brought the weight down to 22.6lb. Now she flies on the thing! I have to admit though that she did complain about the Intense holding her back because of the weight, and the difference was night and day.

Now just saying...well someone that is 5'1" won't fit on a 29er...well, you can't say that as an absolute...you can't say that..Custom builders have been doing it for years..for people even shorter. You may want to revise your perception on modern geometries and how they are getting them right...

Santa Cruz does a pretty good job of building bikes and getting the geometries right.
With a 71deg HT based on a shorter person, toe overlap should be minimal to non-existent, and their height guidelines are still based off of reach and ETT.

If she can get away with a HT, I say do it..but weight gains are going to be minimal at lower component group packages.

Attachments

·
Trail Junkie
2,210 Posts
The smallest size they make the Tallboy is a medium.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts