Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Harshing my mellow, man..
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have 2 frame options at my disposal for a SS build-up. I currently have my stumpy hardtail built up into a singlespeed with a chain tensioner kit; it was pretty cheap to build up and I enjoy it a lot. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with full-suspenion singlespeeds? I also have a stumpy fs frame, and was thinking about building it up so I could "let loose" on downhills a little more than I do with my hardtail (descendind has never been a strongpoint for me). Also, would the full-suspension effect the chain-tension much? I figure with having a chain tensioner on the chain, it would actually work well for with the full-suspension set-up. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
locobaylor said:
So I have 2 frame options at my disposal for a SS build-up. I currently have my stumpy hardtail built up into a singlespeed with a chain tensioner kit; it was pretty cheap to build up and I enjoy it a lot. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with full-suspenion singlespeeds? I also have a stumpy fs frame, and was thinking about building it up so I could "let loose" on downhills a little more than I do with my hardtail (descendind has never been a strongpoint for me). Also, would the full-suspension effect the chain-tension much? I figure with having a chain tensioner on the chain, it would actually work well for with the full-suspension set-up. Thanks.
Last year Cameron Chambers was racing a 26" Stumpy FS set up SS.

·
Registered
30 Posts
can't get right said:
[/URL][/IMG]
I also went cheap with the Alfine and tossed it on my Prophet. I was hoping to get lucky with the chainline as I knew there was only 5 mm of adjustability, unfortunately I didn't and it runs about 1/8 or 1/4" (can't remember - I'm at work right now) inside the chainwheel, even running the chainwheel inboard of the crank. Also, it skips a ton when I mash on the pedals. Looking at yours, though, I think my chain might be too long. Have you experienced any skipping with your set up? I've got the pullies vertical to each other (as recommended in the manual, which didn't really have fs ss in mind), so I'm getting good chain wrap on the pullies, but minimal chainwrap on the cog. The guy at the lbs was perplexed, but I'm going to shorten my chain and see if that helps. Thanks for the pic!

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I don't like how the Alfine pulls the chain down from the from the rear cog. The Paul Melvin is a much better design for a FS bike IMO, you get half of the teeth on the rear cog engaging all the time from the way it wraps the chain.

·
SSOD
826 Posts
You guys have inspired me to try and ss my fs. I've got a Titus Moto-Lite I'm running a talas with right now and xo drive train but I ride it maybe 2-3 times a month and ride my other ss rest of the time. I do however have a spare 100mm sid laying around and a ss conversion kit from before I was running threaded hubs on my ss. I'll have to pick up some ss crank bolts but I have some extra ss chainrings I can throw on it. This just made my day a lot better. I'll try to get some pictures of it out at the trail and throw up here this weekend.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Has anyone tried the Yess ETR-D? It's designed specifically for fs ss and the reviews look good. I think I'll give it a shot once I have some extra dough ($70!?) if the Alfine keeps giving me trouble.

·
eschewing obfuscation
319 Posts
DubDubMF said:
Has anyone tried the Yess ETR-D? It's designed specifically for fs ss and the reviews look good. I think I'll give it a shot once I have some extra dough ($70!?) if the Alfine keeps giving me trouble.
wondering about the yess outfit too... anyone have experience with this thing out there?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yess ETR-D

I have been running one on a Fisher HIFI for about a year. I weigh 240 and ride about everyday in very rocky terrain. Never skipped or dropped a chain. Its a pain to take the rear wheel off.....but since I found the right tire pressure (and went tubeless) I haven't needed to for a while. It has a noise to it...kind of like a very quiet motor. Way more tolerable than the chain slap I had before I went SS.

·
eschewing obfuscation
319 Posts
bluewave said:
I have been running one on a Fisher HIFI for about a year. I weigh 240 and ride about everyday in very rocky terrain. Never skipped or dropped a chain. Its a pain to take the rear wheel off.....but since I found the right tire pressure (and went tubeless) I haven't needed to for a while. It has a noise to it...kind of like a very quiet motor. Way more tolerable than the chain slap I had before I went SS.
'ppreciate it, big guy! anyone else?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.