Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have asked this in the clyde forum, but you never know.

anyone recommend a full sus 29r for a 300lbs 6ft4'' bloke who can ride.

currently riding a on one, a haro mary and a k monkey.

i need some comfort.:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Turner Sultan, Ventana El Capitan or El Rey, Lenz Lunchbox or Leviathan, Niner Rip 9 or WFO 9 (when it comes out).

I'm 6'8" 250lbs and went with the Ventana El Rey in XXL.

Edit: Forgot Specialized Stumpjumper, Kona Hei Hei, and Gary Fischer HiFi as well.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My Experience

I don't go 3 bens, but 2 bens and a 3-4 lincons is not uncommon.
This year I bought my first production bike in along time. I am spoiled and had been buying boutique bikes, most notably my custom Titus Racer X, and Quasi Moto, and FCR Ht and roadie.
But I have been interested in the 29er movement for a while, So I ebayed a Paragon, loved it. Decided to put my order in for a HiFi Pro 29er and a Superfly, and was going to take which ever came in first, then cancel the other,,,,,, Well they both came in days apart from each other, I couldn't decide so I took them both.....
Each bike having its place,,,,,
You asked about the FS/
I love the bike. The wheels are very solid, the frame has more flex than my Racer X but that is expected with a production bike. the fork is great, the rear shock is every bit as good as the front. I really like the Pro Pedal, I struggled with the G2 geometry and how it looked like the front was so choppered out. But that is just perception, handling is great, point and shoot. I really feel it was a good bargin too, mostly XT with Juicy 7 brakes and bontrager wheels. One thing I found odd between the two bikes was how they came stock with the same tires????:madman: but then after ridding the two and seeing how different they preformed on different width rims they felt like different tires... they work well in Utah hard pack with thin layer of loose dirt and gravel.
I have ridden the custom bikes and the stock bikes back to back and I really struggle to justify going custom again???? I really like my HiFi and don't think I can justify the increased cost. Hope this helps.......

·
Registered
206 Posts
e-mail sherwood

Im 280 and talked to Sherwood, The owner of Ventana. Your best bet is the El Capitan beefed up. It ads about 350 to the price. The only reason I don't have one is the cost was out of my range.

·
Registered
686 Posts
The Gary Fisher Hifi 29 was mentioned above. I think it is safe to say that a light FS frame in the XC/trail end of the spectrum is the wrong choice for someone who weighs 300 lbs. I ride a Hifi 29 and like it a lot, but I weigh just above 200 lbs.

·
change is good
Switchblade with a 38, 29+ rigid WaltWorks
3,929 Posts
easy

Ventana El Capitan, although I thinks it may be a 5in model now. I'm sure Ventana can make a 4in variant if you desire. With Gordo rims and a thru-axle fork it will be way stiff. I used to run mine with I9s with free ride spokes and Stans free ride rims and a WB thru-axle.
32 1/2 lbs of tough love.

·
A Surly Maverick
2,702 Posts
Hi UK T,
welcome to the 29er board !
There are quite a few of us Brits on here .

I`m 6'2" and 265lbs and ride a LenzSport Behemoth (see Pix in my profile).
More info on their site:- http://www.lenzsport.com/alpinebrawler.html

Also lots of info on here :- http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=465736&highlight=behemoth

Another good frame (and alot cheaper) is the Astrix Monk:- http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=419199&highlight=monk

Also Voodoo Canzo would be good, but I do not think they do a suitable size for some one of your height (I may be wrong....)

Another pertinant thread :- http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=403509&highlight=monk

Cheers,
Dr FG. :)

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
I prefer my current Moth over the El Cap but for your weight the El Cap is where I'd start. Uber beefy (tandem) CSs and quad bearing pivots will treat you right. The Moth is prolly up to task but why risk it in a boutique frame?

Get the 4" travel version to keep leverage ratios, bb height and angles in check. Run it with a F135 White Brothers fork (with extra heavy spring) and enjoy.

·
Registered
753 Posts
2009 Niner RIP9 or Niner WFO when it becomes available. If you have the loot maybe check out a custom Lenz Behemoth as mentioned above.

PF

·
turtles make me hot
11,672 Posts
I'm 6'4". I got a Stumpjumper 29er in September when I weighed 288 pounds. I've since lost 25 pounds and so far only trued the rear wheel once. It may have taken a hit while on the rack on my truck, so I'm not sure if I did it during a ride. Bike's been tough as nails.

·
IMBA Guy
173 Posts
I'm 6-6, 300lbs. I've ridden the new Rip9, a Behemoth, and the Specialized. The Rip9 and 'Moth get a big thumbs up. I dream about the Rip. The Specialized was flexy for my tastes.

Pass on Gary Fishers unless you delight in experiencing excellent warranty service.

·
Registered
522 Posts
UK Ton,

Just addin' my $0.02 for ya. All of the above bikes are great and would serve the purpose. If you go with a boutique bike, you'll be paying in the excess of 4-5K, which let's face it, us bigger guys have to do if we want something that will hold up and not fold like a deck of cards.
I had my eye on a RIP 9, Ventana's and ended up with a Stumpy FSR 29er b/c it was about 1K cheaper and my lbs supports Specialized (also a lifetime warranty on the frame). Not sure what your budget is but the Stumpy can be had at a good price if you can find an '08.

I'm 6'5" 280 and went with an XL and love it. The specs/parts on the bike are great but you'll want to upgrade your wheel set if you're planning on anything more than a dirt road.
I'm in the process of looking for a custom wheels set that will beef things up a bit. Looking at Flows and 36H hubs to do the trick.
The brain on the '08 Stumpy works great and I can easily stand up and crank away on the climbs without a lot of peddle bob.
Not sure what the 29er scene looks like in the UK where you're at but see if you can't throw a leg over some of the mentioned bikes and see which one works for ya.
I just moved back from Germany and there was virtually no 29ers to be had there. Sure do which I had my current bike when I was living there.
Good luck!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.