Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Managed to pick up a bargain on the last Spark LTD left in the UK - received it just before Xmas. I've done a partial stripdown as I'm changing quite a few parts, but for the benefit of all weight weenies out there, here is the what I have so far;

Magura Marta SL front brake 180 disc = 347g
rear 160 = 320g
Cables = 64g
Cassette XTR 11-32 = 222g
Chain PC991 = 265g
Crankset Truvativ Giga Carbon = 790g (this is a guess)
XTR front der = 150g (guess)
SRAM X0 rear = 198g
Fork DT XRC 100 = 1408g inc. remote
Frame = 1810g inc shock, remote (guess)
Grips Scott foam = 18g
Bar and stem combo Scott Pilot SL = 238g
Headset WCS carbon = 80g (guess)
Front wheel DT190/WCS = 682g
Rear wheel DT190/WCS = 780g
Pedals Egg 4Ti = 170g
QR DT Swiss = 80g
Seat SLR XP carbon = 162g
WCS seat clamp = 128g
Shifters SRAM X0 = 260g
No stem, no seatpost
Tyres Conti M.King 2.2 = 968g
Tubes Cheng Shin thin = 245g
Top cap spacers etc = 20g

TOTAL = 9.403kg, some way off the 9.3kg that they announced, but I will get it to 9.3kg with a few changes - I am going back to XTR all over like my old bike - not keen on SRAM - I am losing the bar/stem combo for Syntace/Easton, save 30g there. I will use DA 12-27 as usual, and may save when I swap the chainset for XTR. QR's lose me 40g if I go bolt on.

Any other ideas welcome, or if you know some of my 'guessed' weights, please let me know........Much of this stuff is currently for sale on Ebay France.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Thanks, it's nice to see some real weights.....

For your front der., is it a down/top swing & down/top pull? My XTR (top swing, dual pull) is 127g.

Q about your brakes.......I'm assuming that the weight is lever/caliper/rotor/adaptor/ bolts. Did you have an adaptor for your front 180mm rotor (as some forks can direct mount for a 180mm rotor) ?

Thanks

*edit......I just saw the FD is down swing, so 150g is probably very close.....

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
civil said:
Thanks, it's nice to see some real weights.....

For your front der., is it a down/top swing & down/top pull? My XTR (top swing, dual pull) is 127g.

Q about your brakes.......I'm assuming that the weight is lever/caliper/rotor/adaptor/ bolts. Did you have an adaptor for your front 180mm rotor (as some forks can direct mount for a 180mm rotor) ?

Thanks

*edit......I just saw the FD is down swing, so 150g is probably very close.....
Thanks for the input - the front brake weight is all inclusive. The disc is 122g and everything else is 225g. There are no bolts as the disc is clamped onto the hub with a cassette style lockring. The lockring weight is included in the wheel (DT190).

No adaptor on the fork.

I now fear that the frame + shock is probably about 50g heavier than I thought.......about 1860g.....ouch!

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
limba said:
Are you keeping the Marta SL's or switching to XTR discs?
Are you keeping the wheels?
Sorry, wasn't very clear earlier. Yes I am keeping the Marta's, as I find them absolutely excellent, and I will sell my Hope Mono Mini's that I was going to put on. The wheels I will keep too, as they are now the best that I have. Not as light as I thought they would be though, I guess the rims must be quite weighty....

·
Weight Weenie Addict!
255 Posts
Some ideas....

If you have $$$ buy the Scrub rotors if not the new Aries rotors from Alligator, 75 gr for a 160 mm
For cable go for Alligator I-Links
Cassette: Recon or KCNC you take your pick on this one.
Chain: KMC X10SL
Headset: Tune BuBu
Wheelset: NoTubes ZTR Race 7000
You could also do some bolt tuning....

·
Keep Riding !!
167 Posts
Front wheel DT190/WCS = 682g
Rear wheel DT190/WCS = 780g

1460g is a reasonable weight for the wheelset, not sure of the weight of the WCS rims but I guess that a pair Stans 355's maybe ~100g lighter and also look at spokes maybe DT aerolites or even Ti.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
jmartpr said:
Some ideas....

If you have $$$ buy the Scrub rotors if not the new Aries rotors from Alligator, 75 gr for a 160 mm
For cable go for Alligator I-Links
Cassette: Recon or KCNC you take your pick on this one.
Chain: KMC X10SL
Headset: Tune BuBu
Wheelset: NoTubes ZTR Race 7000
You could also do some bolt tuning....
Good idea for the rotors, clearly I can go lighter there, but I would hate to lose any of that excellent performance.
For cables, I am only at 64g as it is (just the shifters) so not much to save there.
For cassette the DA 12-27 is only 178g, and it is perfect for me, so again nothing there.
For the chain, I would save what 30g? And the cost is very high, especially as chains were pretty quickly.
Headset - lose maybe 20g? Not really worth it.
Wheelset - yeah, that's a nice set, but I paid out alot already for this bike with it's DT190's so if in time a wheel buckles, I'll rebuild around the 190's but with a lighter rim.
Bolt tuning - this is a good one - I already started;
for example, in the WCS seat clamp there is a huge steel bolt that pinches it all together. It weighs 18g. I swapped it for an alu one and saved 14g. Not too bad.....next Ti caliper bolts, etc. etc.

·
Weight Weenie Addict!
255 Posts
bernithebiker said:
Good idea for the rotors, clearly I can go lighter there, but I would hate to lose any of that excellent performance.
For cables, I am only at 64g as it is (just the shifters) so not much to save there.
For cassette the DA 12-27 is only 178g, and it is perfect for me, so again nothing there.
For the chain, I would save what 30g? And the cost is very high, especially as chains were pretty quickly.
Headset - lose maybe 20g? Not really worth it.
Wheelset - yeah, that's a nice set, but I paid out alot already for this bike with it's DT190's so if in time a wheel buckles, I'll rebuild around the 190's but with a lighter rim.
Bolt tuning - this is a good one - I already started;
for example, in the WCS seat clamp there is a huge steel bolt that pinches it all together. It weighs 18g. I swapped it for an alu one and saved 14g. Not too bad.....next Ti caliper bolts, etc. etc.
Well....this is the weight weenie forum so every gram counts!!!! ;) Be carefull with an alloy bolt on the seatpost. This is a big no-no, use Titanium instead. From the post it looks like you are trying to save a big chunk of weight on an already light bike like the Spark LTD.....not going to happen unless you plunk down $$$$. And if the WW bug bites you for good, believe me those 20, 30 & 50 grams you mention above per item you are going to wish you saved them....been there, done that!

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
jmartpr said:
Well....this is the weight weenie forum so every gram counts!!!! ;) Be carefull with an alloy bolt on the seatpost. This is a big no-no, use Titanium instead. From the post it looks like you are trying to save a big chunk of weight on an already light bike like the Spark LTD.....not going to happen unless you plunk down $$$$. And if the WW bug bites you for good, believe me those 20, 30 & 50 grams you mention above per item you are going to wish you saved them....been there, done that!
Yeah, check my join date - I've been doing this for some time too! In fact my old Gary Fisher Sugar 1 (still visible on www.light-bikes.com) was one of the lightest bikes of it's time (2000 - 2004).

These days, I'm not so into chasing the last gram, but if I can shed some g's easily, I'll do it.

Not sure why no alu bolt for the seat clamp, as long as it can take the tightening torque (12Nm) which it has done, there is very little in the way of fatigue load on it after installation. It simply has to to squeeze the clamp together tightly. Anyway, we shall see. If it breaks, it's no biggy, it was lying in the bottom of my tool box, I'll pop the steel one back in while I wait for a Ti bolt to arrive....

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just received a new digital hanging scale, which I have checked to be accurate against a known weight.

The Spark LTD is showing 9.44kg. Even worse than I thought, and this is having now put on a DA 12-27 cassette (-50g), trimmed the chain (-10g), bolt on skewers (-40g), XTR shifters (-20g), various bolts on brakes, etc. (-25g).

So had I not made those changes I would have been 145g heavier, i.e. 9.6kg. This for a bike that is advertised as 9.3kg.

I see they are announcing the 2009 LTD as 9.2kg. All I can say is that on this basis, be careful!

Question is, where does the extra weight come from? (I had guessed 9.40kg having weighed some parts, and now I've shaved 145g, it 'should' be 9.25kg, but is actually 9.44kg. So I haven't spotted 200g somewhere.

I can only imagine;

Crankset +30g = 820g. I have to change this, the big ring flexes when you pedal hard. I need a huge 16mm allen key to get the thing off though!!
Cables +25g = 89g
Rear 160 Marta SL +10g = 337g
WCS headset +20g = 100g
Frame + shock +125g = 1935g

If you can spot any mistakes here let me know, as I really would like to get to the 9.3kg mark. Scrub rotors I guess would take off a good 120g.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.