Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there!
=======

I'm riding a Rumblefish, full X7 and like it a lot.
I'm planning to sell the RF for a more agressive 29er, and upgrade the drivetrain to a full X9 or full XT.

As I mentioned, I like the X7 so I thought about upgrading to X9, but also heard and read good reviews about the XT.

Which drivetrain would you get?
Which SRAM drivetrain is Shimano XT equivalent? X9 or X0?

Posted this thread on drivetrain forum too.

Thanks, Mo.

·
Registered
14,190 Posts
XT has the only brakes I would use, although SLX is the same if I was buying individual components. Clutch rear derailleurs are a big improvement. The Shadow Plus rear derailleur doesn't have a clicking problem showing up on some Type 2 Sram derailleurs. Again SLX is the same as XT. I would choose XT shifters over SLX, but an SLX crank.
Shimano chain in 10sp over Sram for longevity. XT cluster over SLX for the larger carrier.
Check pricing at bikecomponents.de Tires too.

·
Registered
551 Posts
For what it's worth I am super impressed with the X9 shifter and rear derailleur on my bike. Very solid shifting, and super easy to setup.
I really don't think you could go wrong with either XT or X9.

·
Registered
9,501 Posts
I hate to say it but this thread is a waste of time. It's personal preference. I rode Avid/Sram and like the Shimano XT much better.

The one thing that I think a lot of people will agree on is avoid Avid brakes. There are some that love them, but a large group that doesn't. Search the Specialized forum, after having them on my FSR, I'll never own another set of Avid brakes.

With that said about the breaks, if you want to use the single clamp systems for either of them you have to have the same brand shifters and brakes. So that to me makes it an easy decision, Shimano with ISpec shifter levers.
It's nice to clean up the bars and have a single clamp.

Eventually if you want to use a dropper post, having a single clamp also helps getting the dropper level in a better position.

·
Carbon & Ti rule
5,410 Posts
It will cost a little more to do but what I am doing for 1 of my friends is using his X9 cranks & fitting a 28 Wolf tooth chain ring, X9 type 2 Rear derailieur & X9 shifter, X01 10-42 cassette but just using the 1st 10 gears 11-42

I have tried this with the XX1 cassette & it works fine.

I use & like my Avid XX brakes, But every set of the cheaper Avid brakes I have ridden have been ****, I use XT's on my wifes bike's & they are the best bang for your buck anywhere IMO.

·
live long and huck
5,568 Posts
My .02, X9 shifters and derailleurs, XT crankset and brakes. But, as mentioned by several above, it really is personal preference. I don't worry too much about single clamp setups, I single finger brake and don't want my brake lever position tied to my shifter location, up and down or in and out. Use a KS dropper and ODI grips, and your dropper lever is not an issue either. As far as "cleaning up clutter on your handlebars", can't say as I much give a sh!t.

·
Registered
9,501 Posts
My .02, X9 shifters and derailleurs, XT crankset and brakes. But, as mentioned by several above, it really is personal preference. I don't worry too much about single clamp setups, I single finger brake and don't want my brake lever position tied to my shifter location, up and down or in and out. Use a KS dropper and ODI grips, and your dropper lever is not an issue either. As far as "cleaning up clutter on your handlebars", can't say as I much give a sh!t.
You should give them a try on someone else's bike if you get a chance. I've had Matchmakers and ISpec, and single finger brake and never had a problem getting the lever in the right place.

·
live long and huck
5,568 Posts
You should give them a try on someone else's bike if you get a chance. I've had Matchmakers and ISpec, and single finger brake and never had a problem getting the lever in the right place.
It really is a non-issue as far as I'm concerned, I couldn't care any less if I have 1 clamp, or 2 on my bars.

·
Never trust a fart
4,343 Posts
I've ridden both as I work for a LBS. It's personal preference IME. My preference is Sram over Shimano for MTB stuff.

But I will agree as far as brakes go. Shimano SLX's or XT's

·
Registered
475 Posts
My bike I built up last year was full XT. Upgraded bikes again this year and went SRAM XX1... but with XTR brakes.
One thing that was nice about the XT rear shifter is that you can either push the small lever with your thumb or pull it with your index finger to shift to a harder gear. SRAM is push only. I found myself shifting either with my thumb or index finger when I had the XT shifter depending on the situation. Kind of nice to have that. I have missed it a few times with the SRAM shifters.
Other than that, and other than the XT brakes being AWESOME, I don't think you can go wrong either way.
Oh, and SRAM trends to be a little lighter, I think, if that matters to you.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
358 Posts
Shimano. I've used both but the deciding factor for me is as alberdc mentioned above, being able to use my index finger to shift the small lever. For me, it makes shifting easier and quicker.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'm surprised no one mentioned "it all boils down to looks." That's what it's really all about IMO. I've used avids for 5 years now and as long as you use metallic or semi metallic pads and bleed them properly they work great with zero brake fade. Mind you I'm a xc racer and never ridden dh or am.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Absolute personal preference, except as said when it comes to the brakes, then for sure Shimano. I prefer shimano, I and my thumbs prefer Shimano Rapid Rise, hence I stick to 9spd, all personal preference.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Here's another wrinkle: I *love* SRAM gripshift. I run XT on my trail bike, but X9 with Gripshift on my 1x9 hardtail.

·
1,711 Posts
I've used both SRAM and Shimano... I went to SRAM because I liked how the triggers work better. Now I went to an XO 10spd gripshift and 1x10... and friggin love it. Using an X9 medium cage clutch derailleur in back. No dropped chains, no sound... smooooooth.

Which SRAM drivetrain is Shimano XT equivalent? X9 or X0?
SRAM X9 would be equivalent to Shimano XT... SRAM XO & XX (xx usually only carbon) would be equivalent to Shimano XTR

·
Registered
271 Posts
Problem Solvers MisMatch adapters allow mounting SRAM shifters and Shimano brakes to the same clamp. Of course you could just use separate clamps. Either way brake selection doesn't affect your drivetrain choice.

I prefer the SRAM trigger shifters, but it is personal preference. They both work great. Try both and see which you like better.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the replies guys.

I think I'll enjoy them both: gonna run X9 drivetrain (rear der & shifters) and XT brakes.

Mo.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts