Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've started drawing my new hardtail project out in full scale, I know it's going to be very tight for clearance around the chainstays as they are short.

I'm planning on building it up with SRAM carbon cranks, other than buying them now, and measuring them all up, is it possible to get any dimensions from somewhere online so that i can then draw a plan view? I've never built anything as tight as this before, so have never had the need to draw it out in plan view before.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,904 Posts
Curious what exactly your looking to get from drawing them in the view shown (which is actually an elevation, not a plan view).

Seems that a few circles representing chainrings and end of crank will get you pretty much everything you'll need from that angle; I think I'd be more concerned with side to side clearances to the chainstays, which you'd want to work out from a section of the actual plan (looking down from the top) view, or an aligned view along the plane of the chainstays.

(Or maybe you already know all that and didn't actually mean that the drawing shown was the one you're referring to, in which case I misunderstood :))

Anyway, dig around in here (Frame Fit Specifications for SRAM components, with dimensioned drawings):

https://www.servicearchive.sram.com...ocs/gen0000000005857_rev_d_2019_mtb_ffs_0.pdf

·
Administrator
11,800 Posts
Curious what exactly your looking to get from drawing them in the view shown (which is actually an elevation, not a plan view).

Seems that a few circles representing chainrings and end of crank will get you pretty much everything you'll need from that angle; I think I'd be more concerned with side to side clearances to the chainstays, which you'd want to work out from a section of the actual plan (looking down from the top) view, or an aligned view along the plane of the chainstays.

(Or maybe you already know all that and didn't actually mean that the drawing shown was the one you're referring to, in which case I misunderstood :))
A plan is view down, and elevation, which is what he has drawn is a view from the side. A section is as you noted, cutting through the active view to see through a section not visible in the active. A plan can be considered a section through an elevation from above the subject manner, etc.

·
Registered
11,904 Posts
A plan is view down, and elevation, which is what he has drawn is a view from the side. A section is as you noted, cutting through the active view to see through a section not visible in the active. A plan can be considered a section through an elevation from above the subject manner, etc.
Ed Zachary!

:)

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thats my drawing so far, i'm going to project my intersections down, and then do a plan view underneath. I want to be able to see how much room i have between tyre/chainring/crankarms. Then i can plan any dimples etc,,, before i start building.

·
Registered
11,904 Posts
Thats my drawing so far, i'm going to project my intersections down, and then do a plan view underneath. I want to be able to see how much room i have between tyre/chainring/crankarms. Then i can plan any dimples etc,,, before i start building.
Right on.

You should find what you need in the linked .pdf

·
Registered
11,904 Posts
or is it a section view? wasn't aware the Tech Drawing Nomenclature Police were in town! :)
Looking up would be a bottom view; gotta cut through something to make it a section, gotta look straight down for it to be a plan view. Or something like that...

:)

Whichever, the document I linked seems to have everything you'd need (and more).

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well that was easy, just scaled SRAM's drawing to full size and then added my tyre etc,,,, :thumbsup: They'd even drawn it with the size of chainwheel that i was planning on uising!

Line Parallel Diagram Plan Schematic

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
How about going high tech and 3d modelling your frame?
Actually last year i downloaded autocad and attempted to teach myself, I'd love to be able to make decent models but it took me forever to do really simple components (I'm a machinist by trade, so i really should be up to speed with this) but i just don't seem to have the time to learn something else new! Several people have told me that fusion 360 is far far easier to use?

·
Registered
11,904 Posts
You're probably better off with something more intended a more casual user than trying to teach yourself a 'professional' CAD package like AutoCAD. It's just too deep to really get good with 'on the side', particularly for solid modelling. (FWIW, I've been using AutoCAD heavily at work for 25 years).

Have you ever checked into BikeCad?

https://www.bikecad.ca/

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Looks good. It's been a while since I've seen a drafting machine. Guys I used to work with used them when I was learning CAD.
Lines look good.

AutoCAD can get confusing. There are some decent YouTube videos. I draw 3d in other platforms, taught myself enough to do a few projects in AutoCAD, but needed some tutorials for a few things. Having the fundamentals was helpful to me because of my background but it's not something you can't learn if you have the time and desire.

Keep up the good work.

Just because you place your plan view below your elevation doesn't make it wrong, as long as you want it from top down. Drawing it as if you were looking up then yeah, it would be a bottom view. ;)
It does read oddly to place a plan below an elevation -but by time you get your drawings done, as long as it suits your needs, you'll be just fine.

Double check that SRAM guide. You should confirm dimensions in both directions before you trust it. It is possible to not be proportionally correct.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.