Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I usually ride without gloves but I'm finding that I'm need some extra grip and padding. Do full-fingered gloves give more grip? And do they get waaay to hot in the heat of summer?

·
Registered
310 Posts
I wear full fingered gloves year around on my mountain bike. They protect my hands from the little scratches I would normally get.

In terms of grip and comfort they don't seem to provide a better grip them the half finger gloves I use on my road bike.

·
it's....
2,088 Posts
Full fingers year round, and I do not like palm padding.
Half fingers just end up rolling up where they are cut off.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I wear half-fingers in the summer because I find full fingers too hot. I sweat a LOT, and the full fingered gloves just get saturated and dripping at the fingertips. Once it cools down, I go back to full fingers for the extra crash protection.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Off road I like full fingered with no appreciable amount of padding. I bought cheap ones and they have rubber texture on the index and pointer finger tips that works marginally. I would think a quality glove would do this better and help you grip on the levers, but some like the bare finger feeling. As far as grip to the bar goes, I doubt there is any real difference. I have ridden with and without gloves and sweat was never an issue.

You may try different grips if you like the nop glove feel. I have Oury's on my hardtail and they are very cushy and tacky. I will not buy anything else in a standard grip.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Full fingers give me better shifting ergonomics, and better protection. They also get hot when riding hard on a mildly hot day, but that's why many have vents now. Fox Dirtpaws for MX are very common amongst bikers around here.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I protect my hands

I work in surgery...So full fingers for me.Even that didn't protect me from riping my skin off my little finger,and getting eleven sutures and 4 days off work:eek: .I forgot and a pissed boss, priceless.:rolleyes:

·
Elitest thrill junkie
36,622 Posts
You'll find that most seasoned/serious mountain bikers use full-fingered gloves. There are a few that don't of course, but if you go to any riding destination you'll find most of the seasoned mtbers using full-fingered gloves. Some main reasons are the abrasion protection and grip that isn't easily influenced by sweat (so you can grab the brakes and controls).

·
Maaaaan
4,259 Posts
I wear half fingered gloves, but only because my hands are in between sizes and I have yet to find full fingered gloves that fit.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I love my full-fingered gloves. I grew up riding motocross and riding BMX, so i've been riding my Fox Pawtector gloves for years, and i love them. Im on my 3rd pair now.

·
Pedaler of dirt
903 Posts
It's too hot for full finger gloves, plus I've never found a pair that really fitted my shovel like hands. Half finger gloves all year for me.

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
I prefer full fingered, though not for the additional protection they may provide. I wear them because my hands sweat when it's hot and with the 3/4 gloves it gets slippery on the grips and between my fingers, which drives me nuts. Full fingers solve that :)

·
Registered
485 Posts
I'd like half finger full thumb. My half finger gloves wad up on my thumb and put pressure in one spot and by the end of a ride it really starts to bug me.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Full finger on the mtb. I have no idea why; maybe a hold over from my MX days?

Half w/full thumb on road. Full thumb to prevent roll-up...again, no idea why half-fingers...maybe 'cause when I started road riding a billion years ago nobody wore full finger gloves?

Okay, I'm worthless on this topic...:D

·
Registered
134 Posts
marzjennings said:
It's too hot for full finger gloves, plus I've never found a pair that really fitted my shovel like hands. Half finger gloves all year for me.
My vented full-finger Answer gloves are cooler than my half-finger Fox gloves. But I imagine the cheap lycra half-finger gloves would have lots of airflow.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Full fingered give me better control with the brakes, better grip,
and less chance of sweat or oil interfering with my grip and brake
modulation. I had to use my road half-fingered the other day, hated it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts