Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a set of Avid Full Metal Jacket cables/tubing for my BB7s. I'm looking at the directions and the parts and having trouble seeing how it all goes together. I'm a visual learner, so does anyone have pics of the tubing runs/caliper connections or any tips for putting it all together?

·
Old man on a bike
12,397 Posts
My tip would be to get rid of them. They are a pain to fit to some bikes, and you'll still need some standard housing anyways. Just go full housing runs, use one of the nice housings or generic, and don't look back. I have tried the full metal jackets and just found them not worth it at all...YMMV.

·
~Disc~Golf~
16,496 Posts
@ trelgne - cool you got the pics up - a little bit easier to see than mine. But you're right...pretty much exactly the same routing (not like there's another way to do it :) )

@ mtnbiker72 - was your FMJ's damaged? I mean why did you swap it out?
what I'm gettin at is SpartaSpartan (OP) shouldn't go with full length housing if he's already got the FMJ's. No?
Why shell out even more dough.
I honestly cannot say if the FMJ performs better as I have nothing to base that on. I thought they would be better (could be wrong) but it was only $30 on an already ~$1000 ticket ,so... yeah.
I will say that I do like the looks better - especially since I colored mine red (matches my other bits) and it looks tech. :D

SpartaSpartan - they are more complicated obviously than full length, but I would only switch to full housing if:
- you can get your $$ back for FMJ
- you get a housing like mtnbiker72 said - Flak Jackets or something non-compressing.
- someone else can confirm that they(FMJ) offer no benefits above Flak Jackets or similar

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
I never said to go full length housing in my post. I said I used Flak Jacket. I used the standard cable stops because Flak Jacket uses a liner that seals the cable.

The Full Metal Jacket is only good for strait tubing. This means you can only use short sections because you need housing to bend in many places. Imagine hydro housing if it couldn't be bent around the curves of a bike...it would be useless. The FMJ is the same way, your only using small sections connected by other pieces of housing...it looks cobbled and junky.

I replaced it mainly because its ugly and IMO provides no advantage over quality housing like Flak Jacket. So my advice is to take the FMJ back and get a quality set of cables and housing such as Flak Jacket.

·
~Disc~Golf~
16,496 Posts
mtnbiker72 said:
I never said to go full length housing in my post...
oops, I apologize. sorry man:p
My rig doesn't have cable stops for brakes, so that's where I Inferred (and wrongly so)
as for 'cobbled and junkie', that's your opinion and I respect that. But telling someone to do something different just because how you think it should look or whatever is fukked. Like people tellin' me bar-ends are lame b/c they think it's not fashionable. psssh :rolleyes:
So, as far as I can tell, the FMJ would go where it was a straight run anyways If I did have cable stops. 6 in one...

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
Whatever

highdelll said:
oops, I apologize. sorry man:p
My rig doesn't have cable stops for brakes, so that's where I Inferred (and wrongly so)
as for 'cobbled and junkie', that's your opinion and I respect that. But telling someone to do something different just because how you think it should look or whatever is fukked.
Why is it fukked to express my opinion...isn't that YOUR opinion

Kind of the tea kettle calling the pot black...don't you think:rolleyes:

·
~Disc~Golf~
16,496 Posts
mtnbiker72 said:
Kind of the tea kettle calling the pot black...don't you think:rolleyes:
I don't think I've told anybody here to do something based on looks - other than the occasional good-natured ribbing. So, no, I don't think that the pot/tea kettle thing figures in here.
speaking of pot or tea, maybe you should have some... you seem a little agitated.;)

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
highdelll said:
I don't think I've told anybody here to do something based on looks - other than the occasional good-natured ribbing. So, no, I don't think that the pot/tea kettle thing figures in here.
speaking of pot or tea, maybe you should have some... you seem a little agitated.;)
So you missed the part where I said I felt it offered no advantages over Flak Jacket then

Agitated...only at your reading comprehension
:ciappa:

·
Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
8,848 Posts
I ran Avid mechs for a long time, and always ended up with better results in looks and in brake feel/performance in the long run with full housing runs of a good quality housing with some nice stainless cables. Tried the FMJ thing a few times, but it never really worked as well. It didn't stay as sealed, made more nose, and was far more of a pain to set up.

YMMV.

·
Hike it or Bike it!
287 Posts
scrublover said:
I ran Avid mechs for a long time, and always ended up with better results in looks and in brake feel/performance in the long run with full housing runs of a good quality housing with some nice stainless cables. Tried the FMJ thing a few times, but it never really worked as well. It didn't stay as sealed, made more nose, and was far more of a pain to set up.

YMMV.
Do you use 5mm brake housing, or can one get by with 4.5mm universal housing?

·
~Disc~Golf~
16,496 Posts
trelgne said:
It seems that people have very different experiences with the FMJ. ...
hahaha...that's funny.
the ONE guy who rated the FMJ the lowest on MTBR complained that, "Comes with shrink tubing and doesnt indicate you need a heat gun anywhere on the directions."
wheew...i had a good actual LOL on that.:p
whaaa ...shrink tubing??? how do I...ummm...why won't these tubes shrink?...hrrrumph... they're in place.....what the?....psssch ....with the force I command you to shrink!....shrink!!...SHRIIINK!!!... damn man, what the hell?... that's it - these FMJ's are bogus!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the tips and insights. I was fiddling around with the FMJ rods last night and I'm not sure they're going to work on the top tube because they don't fit in the cable guides, and the top tube is long so I'd need to use a few shorter pieces for the full run.

I'll play around with it some more, but might just have to call it a learning experience and pop for some good cables and housings.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I use a high quality teflon coated cable and housing such as Dia-Compe BRS or Delta Aztec. The FMJ has very little advantage over full housing with these cables because they have almost no friction in the straight sections. The FMJ has the disadvantages of being more expensive, much harder to install, and more likely to fail over time.

·
Old man on a bike
12,397 Posts
And even less friction with no housing at all in a straight section! I still prefer a full housing run, though. FWIW I had no idea what the FMJs actually were when I ordered them, had no idea the name was literal, just thought it was some hokey military sounding name so many companies are fond of, thought I was getting Flak Jackets when ordering...

·
Registered
160 Posts
Someone should make a test procedure. Same bike, same cable routing. One with the FMJ, then with a good compressionless housing, and one with cheap and interrupted housing. And then note the differences for friction and performance with a given finger force at the lever. After one year in use the same procedure again towards a long-term assessment.

Where are the volunteers? ;)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.