Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Shreddin the Cul de Sac
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody running full length cable housing to their rear derailleur on your FS bike?
How do you secure the derailleur?
Got pix?

I've got mine buttoned down with zip ties. I tuned out most of the ghost shifting on my first ride, but the cable was still wandering all over the place...

I'd love to see how it's properly done.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
I cinch down both rear derailleur and brake cables to the rear swingarm so they cannot move, leaving the front triangle zip ties looser to allow movement... works well for me at least.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Burpee said:
Anybody running full length cable housing to their rear derailleur on your FS bike?
How do you secure the derailleur?
Got pix?

I've got mine buttoned down with zip ties. I tuned out most of the ghost shifting on my first ride, but the cable was still wandering all over the place...

I'd love to see how it's properly done.
The problem with full length housing is: more casing compression that can adversely affect shifting, extra weight.

If you want to seal the gunk out of your cables, use a sealed cable system like Gore Tex, etc..

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I went to a full length housing so I could move the rear der. cable to prevent ghost shifting. It's on a single pivot bike and in stock form it runs down the top tube so when the suspension was compressed it would bend the cable and tighten it causing the der. to skip. I zip tied the new housing so it ran past the main pivot and the shifting problems are gone because the cable tension is no longer affected by where the suspension is in it's travel.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.