Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
The Punk Hucker
3,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, I'd like to move to full length housing on my Kinesis XC Pro2 frame. My idea is to drill the housing stops to 5mm so the cable can pass through. To add "stability" to the housing between both stops, I was thinking of sticking a Surly cable housings to the frame. This solution is much cleaner than a stickon guide. Those housings are meant to be welded to the frame so I'm wondering if using super glue or epoxy would work.

What do you think?
Thanks

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/CA308C03-Surly+Housing+Guide.aspx

·
The Punk Hucker
3,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why do you believe it wouldn't work to glue them? Not strong enough?

I would use a stick-on guide before a ziptie. I'm looking for a clean solution, this would blend nicely with the frame.

Alternatively, a "double stick-on guide" (2 guides on 1 sticker) would be a decent option but I have never seen one of those.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I didn't say it wouldn't work, it would just be super ghetto. On my old frame, I drilled the stops slightly smaller than 5mm so they would still hold the cable and give it stability. No need to add guides between stops.

·
The Punk Hucker
3,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't see why it would look more ghetto than the brake line that's running next to it. In fact, given the guides are the same color as the frame it would be pretty seamless.

Maybe you misunderstand what I'm trying to do... I'm trying to find a picture.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
PissedOffCil said:
I don't see why it would look more ghetto than the brake line that's running next to it. In fact, given the guides are the same color as the frame it would be pretty seamless.

Maybe you misunderstand what I'm trying to do... I'm trying to find a picture.
Those housing guides are meant to be brazed on the frame. Glue may or may not hold. I would not do it.

·
Picture Unrelated
5,123 Posts
Instead of drilling out your stops, why not try something like this:
http://problemsolversbike.com/products/hydraulic_brake_hose_guides

They attach in the stops and allow hydro lines to be held. They should work ok on 5mm housing, you can turn the opening so that it holds the housing against the frame keeping it from popping out.

·
The Punk Hucker
3,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Mantis, Paramount, Campy
4,749 Posts
People are advising against it. You got your outside opinion.
Clearly you still want to try it. Go for it.
No need for further elaboration on anybody's opinions.

·
The Punk Hucker
3,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nobody said why they wouldn't do it.
Oh wait some said it would look ghetto....

What's the worst that can happen, a guide comes loose, then what?

I don't necessarily want to go against people's advice I'm trying to know why they think so.

So instead of talking crap, why wouldn't you do it?

·
Registered
574 Posts
My reason to not do it----> Cause there's no need for it.

And you're all worried about keeping everything looking clean, yet you're willing to glue stuff to your frame?? How is that looking clean? A. It's not going to stick. B. If it does, it's not going to last very long. C. It's more than likely going to destroy the paint in that spot.

·
The Punk Hucker
3,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You might be right that it's not required if the drilled out stops are tight over the housing. That would be a first inital step. It would also make feeding the housing throguh the stops a PITA but I can live with that.

As for the glue not working, I would be surprised if super glue didn't work but I wasn't sure, which is why I asked. It's not like it's a high stress area, once glued I cannot see anything apart from an impact making it move.

Again, I might be wrong, I'm trying to get the understanding to make a wise decision. I don't really care what others would do with their bikes, I want to know if it would work.

·
Picture Unrelated
5,123 Posts
I simply offered an alternative suggestion because if you mess up a cable stop then you get to install an unsightly problem solvers backstop. Trying to save you unneeded frame destruction. I usually look at permanent modifications to my frame only after I have exhausted existing options. I wouldn't glue anything to my bike, it's a half-assed way to do something you can do with existing and easily sourced parts. And any good glue can't be removed, so once again it's a permanent fixture of your bike.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Cil, why do you need to add anything to the frame? I drilled out my stops and just ran Jag Rip full-length housing. Shifted the same as it did with interrupted housing. I forget what size drill bit I used. Just made sure that I used the one roughly the same size as the stop'd inner diameter.

·
On wuss patrol
5,159 Posts
PissedOffCil said:
I don't really care what others would do with their bikes, I want to know if it would work.
JB Weld it up !

Others don't do it 'cuz it don't work (likely will break off if bumped, taking paint with it, looks goomba, not necessary). What part of that do you not get?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.