Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
honourablegeorge said:
Anyone done this? It should be relatively easy, just a few cable ties here and there, right?
Yeah, I did right from the start so click on my username and check out my threads I'm sure you'll find a couple photos of my 4x.

I used a dremel to open up the cable mounts so I could thread the outer through.....just did the same on my BLT2 and it looks so much cleaner also.

·
emtb.pl
879 Posts
Gripo said:
.....just did the same on my BLT2 and it looks so much cleaner also.
What dremmel did you use and what bit size?
You don't seem to worry about the warranty, do you?
I am considering that too but I am a bit worried about drilling near the shock mounts - very slim space there.

·
Registered
835 Posts
krolik said:
What dremmel did you use and what bit size?
You don't seem to worry about the warranty, do you?
I am considering that too but I am a bit worried about drilling near the shock mounts - very slim space there.
No particular size dremel bit, I start off small and only remove what's required to let the cable outer slide through.

The alloy removed is only from the cable mount and nowhere near the frame tubing, so don't see how or anticipate any issues from a warranty situation.

There is actually a fair bit of alloy associated with a cable mount so in general you'll have plenty of cable mount left. I cover the area near the cable mount with plenty of tape just in case the motor tool stall and grabs.....

I'm only doing what SC should do. ;)

·
emtb.pl
879 Posts
Gripo said:
No particular size dremel bit, I start off small and only remove what's required to let the cable outer slide through.

The alloy removed is only from the cable mount and nowhere near the frame tubing, so don't see how or anticipate any issues from a warranty situation.

There is actually a fair bit of alloy associated with a cable mount so in general you'll have plenty of cable mount left. I cover the area near the cable mount with plenty of tape just in case the motor tool stall and grabs.....

I'm only doing what SC should do. ;)
As for warranty, my distr here in Poland states it unfortunately voids warranty:(
I'm only worried about getting to the mounts near the upper shock mount. Did you use any flexible extentions to the dremmel? I bet it would be helpful.
SC seriously made such a bummer with this front triangle...
I will do it as soon as I think of any upgrades requiring any degree of bike disassembly. Which shouldn't be far away as I know myself:p

·
Registered
835 Posts
krolik said:
As for warranty, my distr here in Poland states it unfortunately voids warranty:(
I'm only worried about getting to the mounts near the upper shock mount. Did you use any flexible extentions to the dremmel? I bet it would be helpful.
SC seriously made such a bummer with this front triangle...
I will do it as soon as I think of any upgrades requiring any degree of bike disassembly. Which shouldn't be far away as I know myself:p
Void the warranty on what.....the cable guides..... :p

So if you crack a swingwarm, the carbon fibre upper link fails or bearings seize they will void the warranty because you opened up a cable guide.

Now I'd like to see the logic in that decision................

Tell you dist to get real your after support, not opposition... you are the customer.

·
emtb.pl
879 Posts
Gripo said:
Void the warranty on what.....the cable guides..... :p

So if you crack a swingwarm, the carbon fibre upper link fails or bearings seize they will void the warranty because you opened up a cable guide.

Now I'd like to see the logic in that decision................

Tell you dist to get real your after support, not opposition... you are the customer.
I don't see any logic in that either but it is considered altering the frame as it is a part of the front triangle.
I'll do it anyway but sure wish I didn't have to. I wonder what the logic was in doing the f triangle with stops and r with mounts?!? Nomads and Hecklers have it the right way. Seems like they need to keep the LT half way XC ---> AM. I sure wish my XC rigs have full outers nonetheless.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I've managed to run full outers on my 07 Heckler and now on my 08 Chameleon , the Chameleon I just piggy backed the rear brake hose and mech cable together on the brake mounts, strange how all the SC bikes are slightly different, different designer for each frame ??

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.