Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read several posts that talk about drilling out the cable stops so that you can run full cable housing for v-brakes/disc brakes.

Is there really a noticable difference? To me, this seems counter-intuitive. I would think that there would be close to zero compression between cable stops since the frame won't compress with brake lever pressure. Conversely, I would expect noticeable compression with housing.

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
"Modern" housing (for lack of a better term) is very good -- even the cheap stuff. Housing compression is really not an issue you can feel at the levers. Even if it were, the short length of the section along the top tube is just 1/4 to 1/3 of the total length of the housing run, so even if housing were made of sponge I wouldn't expect to feel a huge overall difference.

But the flip side (for me, anyway) is that full length eliminates 2 or 4 points of entry for dirt and moisture, and more importantly, reduces 2 or 4 points of cable friction. Take a look at the end of a piece of used housing sometime, and note how the cable has sawed through the ferrule, the inner liner, and even part of the wire wrap. I'm able to get a much more consistant bend out of a full length of housing where it exits the (drilled out) stop, and rather than a single point of friction -- as with a broken housing setup -- the cable enters and exits the bend smoothly.

It would seem that I'm not alone in this observation: many who convert to full length runs report smoother braking and shifting action, fewer mis-shifts, and even longer cable life.

Give it a try, even temporarily with zip ties, and decide for yourself.

·
ravingbikefiend
2,322 Posts
I'm with Nate... the greatest benefit to running full length housing is how well the cables will be protected from contaminants and how much longer and smoother the system will run before it requires servicing.

I ride many vintage bikes and many of these were set up with full length cable housings... you can really see how well this protects the cables when you compar them to modern bikes with so many points in the system that can allow dirt and moisture to enter.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.