Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Are you gonna eat that?
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so seeing as how I have a tendency to go over the bars on just about every ride for one dumbass reason or another, I'm tempted to go with a full face helmet just so I don't break my nose or crack my jaw doing something stupid (and my new 5.5 almost guarantees I'm going to do something stupid at some point :))

I don't need a helmet that'll take a 40mph hit into a solid object, I just need something with reasonable jaw protection but that's lightweight and well vented, the Specialized Deviant seems to fit the bill, but I'm wondering if there's anything else I should look at?

The Casco Viper is mail order only and as with all helmets, I want to be able to try it on and I don't like the looks of the Pryme AL, it doesn't seem to be particularly well vented.

Anything else anyone would recommend?

·
Registered
181 Posts
I looked at all the hemets and the Deviant is impossible to beat for the price. More importantly I couldn't find a helmet that offered the same protection with as much venting. Here in AZ venting es muy importante!

Oh ad Specialized has em through their site for around $100 for the regular one! My dealer was more than happy to do that too.

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
Same question..

Kyoseki said:
Ok, so seeing as how I have a tendency to go over the bars on just about every ride for one dumbass reason or another, I'm tempted to go with a full face helmet just so I don't break my nose or crack my jaw doing something stupid (and my new 5.5 almost guarantees I'm going to do something stupid at some point :))

I don't need a helmet that'll take a 40mph hit into a solid object, I just need something with reasonable jaw protection but that's lightweight and well vented, the Specialized Deviant seems to fit the bill, but I'm wondering if there's anything else I should look at?

The Casco Viper is mail order only and as with all helmets, I want to be able to try it on and I don't like the looks of the Pryme AL, it doesn't seem to be particularly well vented.

Anything else anyone would recommend?
What other light full face helments are out there. I kinda liked the Gyro switchblade with the detatchable mouth guard. Something that won't make me die of heat exhaustion after a 5 hour ride.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I use a Deviant.

I have been using the Deviant for about four months. The weight has never bothered me and I think it is vent well. I ride in mid nineties and never feel like I am going to over heat. In fact I never notice it when I ride. I do get a lot of funny looks riding to work with it on but it does go with my uniform. I even got one for my son and it's saved his face more than once.

Toby

·
Live, Freeze, and Ride
315 Posts
I have a Bell, super comfy, but having lived in AZ, I would buy a mouth guard to protect the teeth and avoid the impending heat stroke you'll have wearing a FF helmet, at least with the Bell. I use mine in cooler weather, like cool NE mornings, when it's raining, and in winter.
Or buy a FF and carry lots of water, some to drink and some to pour on your head!
66One also makes a nice looking helmet, not sure about ventilation.
Think about color and weight too! My black helmet would melt my brain out there! And heavy just sucks.

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts

·
Are you gonna eat that?
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
perttime said:
MET Parachute looks like a good option for XC with a little face protection. It is not a full on DH/FR helmet... which is probably the basis for the liability concerns that prevent it from being marketed in USA.
Which gives me the same problem as the Casco Viper - I can't try the thing on and I have a big head, a lot of helmets don't fit.

The Bell helmet looks like it might be worth a shot, I wear an x-ray now.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Kyoseki said:
d Deviant seems to fit the bill, but I'm wondering if there's anything else I should look at?

Measure around the biggest part of your skull in cm. then, the casco viper runs a little small, so if you're right on the bubble...go with the bigger one. You can always send it back if it doesn't fit. i ordered one from MEC in Canada and ride year round in Arizona.

·
Tard.
122 Posts
I've never seen anyone wearing a full face helmet while riding XC, but I like the idea. I used to ride a dirtbike and I feel venerable with a regular bike helmet on. I like my face and teeth.

Are heat and weight the only drawbacks using one for XC? Maybe people laughing at you?

Can you use something like the Spec. Deviant for snowboarding too? The number of times I've face planted into the snow....

·
Double-metric mtb man
4,482 Posts
If you're going hard enough to be considering it while riding XC, then you probably could use it. Yes, heat and weight can be drawbacks for using a FF for XC, but if you feel you need the protection, you'll get used to the difference quickly.

I don't consider other people's opinions to be a factor. I ride with a Giro Semi MX...it's a 3/4 or skater style helmet with a visor. It's warm, to be sure, but it gives me the additional protection I think I need. In the river valley I ride in, it isn't uncommon to see XC riders in armor by the later part of the summer just because of all the tree limbs that encroach on the singletrack. Heck, I've been known to run slalom style in the fall, using my forearm pads like guards to bash branches out of the way like skiers knock aside gates...and at that point, I start wondering about a FF helmet too!

As long as you're not on some Wallyworld BSO and wearing a Deviant or 661 full face that costs 3x as much as the bike, then I say more power to ya for looking after yourself when you need that much protection.

·
STINKY TOFU
366 Posts
I read an article about a regular lycra clad cross country racer lady. In some race she nailed a rock and went over the bars and tore up her jaw. She had to have major surgery done on her jaw afterwards. After that article the deviant looks better and better.

·
Are you gonna eat that?
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
dragonhead08 said:
I read an article about a regular lycra clad cross country racer lady. In some race she nailed a rock and went over the bars and tore up her jaw. She had to have major surgery done on her jaw afterwards. After that article the deviant looks better and better.
Seriously, it doesn't take a 40mph crash to mess you up, that's why I'm thinking about this.

·
Registered
61 Posts
dragonhead08 said:
Reading the stories and looking at the pictures that people have posted on this forum after they faceplanted was enough to get me to go buy one. :yikes:

·
Are you gonna eat that?
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
pimpbot said:
That if you jump out of a 3rd story window, you hit the ground at 36 MPH. That puts things into perspective, eh?
I've hit a guard rail at 35mph, that put it into perspective just fine :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.